• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (2 Viewers)

thanks for that, will see what I can post when the little one is in bed and i've got some peace and quiet!

The Goldfinch are still around now and a Dunnock is sat on the telephone wire out the front of the house chirping the same note over and over and over, it was doing it last night too!!

Just a quick post - we had a juvenile Blue Tit in the garden this morning (my first one!) with one of the parents, one of the young Goldfinch was sat on the fence for a while but I didn't have time to check if the rest of the family was about. Plus there has been a young Blackbird in the garden too (of course the noisy Starlings where there as always!)

Well Done with the Goldfinch and Blue tit Juves Pam :t:

Hail stones the size of Golf balls at the moment here in east Cheshire:eek!:

Blackbird Juvenile just finishing off a snail by the patio after the rain

A real cute one too

Dave

Attachments

• IMG_4677.JPG
    IMG_4677.JPG
    288.6 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_4680.JPG
    IMG_4680.JPG
    287.7 KB · Views: 47
Given up on the video camera stuff for now, can't get my blog to upload the video, don't know why and my eyes have had enough! I think if I've done this right i've managed to capture a bit of a blurry shot of them and it's attached here.

The Dunnock has been chirping non stop for about two hours tonight and he sat on our fence for a while to do it for a while too - have to say I had to shut the windows as it was very loud!

Attachments

• Goldfinch Resized.JPG
    Goldfinch Resized.JPG
    4.6 KB · Views: 52
  • Dunnock 1 Resized.JPG
    Dunnock 1 Resized.JPG
    4.3 KB · Views: 51
Really not doing well with these photos today. Think these are better if you click on them? If not then I give up!

Attachments

• Dunnock 1.jpg
    Dunnock 1.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 49
  • Goldfinch.jpg
    Goldfinch.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 54
Just a quick post - we had a juvenile Blue Tit in the garden this morning (my first one!) with one of the parents, one of the young Goldfinch was sat on the fence for a while but I didn't have time to check if the rest of the family was about. Plus there has been a young Blackbird in the garden too (of course the noisy Starlings where there as always!)

Have had my first Blue Tit babies in the garden today too... although since Iwas away on holiday last week they could have been visiting for a while! Managed to get some photos of one hanging from my peanut feeder, it's in the gallery if anyone's interested. Gorgeous little things, really weird how yellow they are!

A very big thunderstorm here this evening too, it rained a river and the road outside was completely covered with fast-flowing water! Very close lighting too, the first the chicks here would have experienced, hopefully not too many mortalities from the shock or the torrential rains. |=(|

Really not doing well with these photos today. Think these are better if you click on them? If not then I give up!

You got them posted, and others can see them, so you are doing fine.|=)|

A tip with Movie Maker, the size of the image is dependant upon the size of the preview window. So if you drag the left edge as far as it goes to the left, and shrink the bottom pane, you'll get a bigger preview, meaning bigger captures. (hopefully I've explained it well enough)

Have had my first Blue Tit babies in the garden today too... although since Iwas away on holiday last week they could have been visiting for a while! Managed to get some photos of one hanging from my peanut feeder, it's in the gallery if anyone's interested. Gorgeous little things, really weird how yellow they are!

A very big thunderstorm here this evening too, it rained a river and the road outside was completely covered with fast-flowing water! Very close lighting too, the first the chicks here would have experienced, hopefully not too many mortalities from the shock or the torrential rains. |=(|

What a great photo, the one here hasn't quite mastered the feeders yet, just sits on the ground!

ChrisKten, you did explain it, makes perfect sense, was too tired to think last night, usually i'm quite good at the computer stuff!

The Dunnock was back tweeting again this morning - wondering why it seems to be constantly doing this - looking for another Dunnock perhaps??

[...]
The Dunnock was back tweeting again this morning - wondering why it seems to be constantly doing this - looking for another Dunnock perhaps??

I miss not seeing Dunnocks in my garden. There was a regular that met the Sparrowhawk a couple of years ago. Then there was a juvenile soon after. But I've not seen one since.

I think it's mainly because of the large number of Starlings, Sparrows, and Pigeons in the garden. But I guess you can't have it all.

My resident Dunnock had a run-in with a Sparrowhawk too, was one of my favourite visitors but that's the way it goes... everything has to eat something I guess.

Thanks Pam, I was really pleased to get that photo, one bird I really wanted a shot of!

Lovely photos of a juv. Blue tit Fozzy, and juv. Blackbird BFB.

Pam , Thanks for the Goldfinch photos. I would love to see one. We have up to 7 visiting but no sign of young! Had a look at your Blog. We used to live in York 20 years ago and I remember visiting a Bird Garden between Leeds and York when our son was wee but cannot remember the name of the place. Any ideas??

We have up to 4 Dunnocks at once sometimes, they are beautiful little birds.

One of the juvenile Goldfinch was on the feeder all on its own earlier, I could see an adult sat on the phone wire at the end of the gardens but I guess they are figuring things out for themselves.

Also we had a Squirrel on the garden fence this morning, not a bird I know and not everyone's a fan but I love watching them. There was one around when we first moved in a couple of years ago but I haven't seen one here for ages.

MBL at first all I could think of was Harewood House. Then I remembered there is Lotherton Hall we've been a couple of times and it's really nice. Is that it?

Pam,yes I am sure that was it! Thanks.

We have had a few newbies in the garden, a Red Legged Partridge today (probably released I know but a lovely bird none the less). We now have 3 House Sparrow regulars 2m 1f. We have also had a Collared Dove a couple of times not unusual for most of you but a first for us.|:d|

Looks like everyone is fairly busy in the garden :t: Loads of pics too, The Blue tit juvs is great, (yet to see these in my garden), Pam you did well with the Goldies too :t: and I agree with everyones sentiments about the Dunnocks, lovely to have around the bushes. My Dunnocks (2 adults 2 Juvs)seem to always be around with the Robin.

Fairly quiet here really, but still getting the odd visit from the male bullfinch. Missing the Juv Songthrush after its 4 day visit. To make up for it though is the Coal tit family 2 adults probably the same ones from last year, this time with a youngster in tow.

Managed to get a snap of the Magpie juv although from indoors and distant but if I dont post this one (Chris k ;)) it wont be a juvenile by the time I really pin it down. It still terrorises everything, the best way of describing it at the minute is all gums and no brains :-O

Attached a few pics from this evening, which turns out to be a bit brighter than the showers we suffered all day.

Dave

Pam you have a nice blog site, well done. I wouldnt know where to begin to try and set up something like that. :t:

Attachments

• Mags.gif
    Mags.gif
    157.4 KB · Views: 58
  • House-sparrow.jpg
    House-sparrow.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0007.JPG
    IMG_0007.JPG
    290 KB · Views: 49
  • House.gif
    House.gif
    175.1 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
My feeders are now in overdrive with all the youngsters. In addition to the tree sparrow and greenfinch juveniles we now have chaffinch, house sparrow and finally the long awaited yellowhammers. I thought I saw a juvenile yellowhammer the other day, although not near the feeder, and today they are here in full force fluttering their wings and begging for food. Also had just the one young great tit today so hopefully tomorrow there may be a few more. They do seem to arrive in dribs and drabs.

Also had an increase in siskin adults over the last couple of days so perhaps their young have fledged and will be here soon too.

I'll put a pic up of a yellowhammer being fed in a minute.

I love this thread and always look at it, just so busy at the moment that rarely get time to comment on what is going on at everyone elses feeders. Do love looking at everyones photos.

TS

Shame about the weather. It was tipping it down when I took the photo through the window but at least you can just about see them lol.

DSC_0004-4.jpg

TS

Looks like everyone is fairly busy in the garden :t: Loads of pics too, The Blue tit juvs is great, (yet to see these in my garden), Pam you did well with the Goldies too :t: and I agree with everyones sentiments about the Dunnocks, lovely to have around the bushes. My Dunnocks (2 adults 2 Juvs)seem to always be around with the Robin.

Fairly quiet here really, but still getting the odd visit from the male bullfinch. Missing the Juv Songthrush after its 4 day visit. To make up for it though is the Coal tit family 2 adults probably the same ones from last year, this time with a youngster in tow.

Managed to get a snap of the Magpie juv although from indoors and distant but if I dont post this one (Chris k ;)) it wont be a juvenile by the time I really pin it down. It still terrorises everything, the best way of describing it at the minute is all gums and no brains :-O

Attached a few pics from this evening, which turns out to be a bit brighter than the showers we suffered all day.

Dave

Pam you have a nice blog site, well done. I wouldnt know where to begin to try and set up something like that. :t:

Lovely pics Dave, and good to (finally |:p|) see that you really do have a juv Magpie.

BFB impressive photos of Sparrow- a very handsome bird. My son would like to know what camera,lens,settings you were using, bearing in mind he is a student you may have to let him down gently!!!(if it is very expensive gear)

Lovely photo of Yellowhammers TS. We have 2 possible juveniles visiting, under the feeders,but I'm not entirely sure, they could be females,although they don't have much yellow in their colouring. Have you any ID tips for them?

Last edited:
Yellowhammers!! Wow! :eek!:

Hasn't been that busy in my garden since I got back from holiday (I think they've all got the hump because I wasn't there topping up the water and feed!), I haven't seen the Robins that much, or the greenfinches but still lots of Sparrows, Starlings and Blackbirds.

I looked out this morning to see a Dunnock fledgling hopping around the border next to my footpath though! First one I've ever seen and I had to get my binoculars onto it to get a close look to be sure. Brilliant to see one here, am really pleased that the Dunnocks are still around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back