• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (3 Viewers)

Hello guys been a while since I've been online! Garden is now very busy as we approach Winter! Had our first real frost yesterday, and to my amazement we enticed a female GSW on to the suet feeder, first one for this garden! Amazingly, a male showed up today, and I was able to grab a quick picture (through the window), I'm hoping they return as there is a cemetery nearby, fingers crossed!

Same here, Have lived in this house since I was super small and in 16 years dont remember 1 woodpecker. On Friday first Great spotted woodpecker came to the feeder and then on Sunday a Green Woodpecker was foraging around.

This morning is absolutely dead, 2 collared doves an a massive wood pigeon. Pond seems to be frozen over the top, Must have been a COLD night.

Recycling for birds

Like most people with fruit trees in their gardens, our crop this year has been very poor due to the extreme weather we've had over the past few months. What few apples our trees produced haven't been worth eating so they've gone to a worthy cause. Quartered and scattered amongst the autumn leaves our Blackbirds make short work of them:

8161005970_3e0a20357d_b.jpg 8161023005_21925d28e5_b.jpg

First Redwing I've seen in my garden this season landed briefly yesterday. It could be that there will be less this year due to the number of migratory birds which have apparently perished crossing the North sea |=(|

8160930409_1ace66414b_b.jpg

Today along with the usual birds there was a rat on my birdtable. I watched it walk along the wooden fence top them jump the gap of around 2 feet onto the table then start eating the seed I had previously put on it. I watched the rat do this for around 10 mins and then shifted the birdtable into a position which it can't jump onto. This is the first rat I've seen since moving into this houe in 1996.

A couple of things worth mentioning firstly I have currently got a male Sparrowhawk devouring a Greenfinch in a shaded part of the garden (so no images forth coming). However especially with the winter weather coming now Its a reminder of how well these small birds are insulated. There is a lot of down feather underneath the feathers we are used to seeing on a daily basis ..... and I mean a lot. Nothing that you guys dont know, but it has been a good reminder to me as I sit here watching the masses of small down type feathers floating around the garden in the wind.

Second point (and more apt for CBs records) is the Ravens are very regular around my area now, almost daily. I am sure these birds have become local to a patch very close by.

Last edited:
and now the Sprawk has finished eating it has preened and is now sat so comfortably it is perched on one leg with the other leg tucked into its breast feathers keeping it warm while looking up into the canopy of the tree for second helpings

i have also had a rat on my birdtable, do you let live or do you get rid , i opted for the latter, got a baitbox and poison,

My feeder has been decently busy the last few days. I have MANY black-capped chickadees, bluejays, goldfinches, dark-eyed juncos and a couple mourning doves.

The most exciting visitors were on Sunday when 1 male and 2 female Evening Grosbeaks visited for about 30 minutes. I have never seen this bird before, and I was so happy to have them visit!

Black redstart on our oil store this morning before abandoning us to pose at the RSPB reserve. Mind you, he did take our garden list up to 102

i have also had a rat on my birdtable, do you let live or do you get rid , i opted for the latter, got a baitbox and poison,

The problem with having rats in close association is the possibilty of infection (of humans!), particularly Weil's disease. One good reason for always wearing gloves when handling feeders and bird baths.

Black redstart on our oil store this morning before abandoning us to pose at the RSPB reserve. Mind you, he did take our garden list up to 102

Great bird for a garden list:t:

Up and down the country there is waxwings everywhere,I just wonder if any of us will get one in our gardens, here's hoping !!

Everywhere except the Clyde area it would seem! I went for a lunchtime walk to try and find some, but no luck. Lots of trees laden with berries, so perseverance may be the way to go.

a male sparrowhawk through earlier which made an attempt at the feeders, not sure if it got anything. Nuthatch is still visiting. Difficult to be exact, but probably 5 coal tit. Male and female bullfinch too.

Also Moorhen visited today,which I am pretty sure is earlier than the last couple of years.

A female siskin in today around the hawthorns, a very rare visitor to my garden. Also 2 House Sparrow (another rare visitor) on the fatballs. Bullfinch count is up to 2 pairs again.

Continuing the trend where lots of people are getting their firsts of this bird, 27th species to land in the garden was a Jay this morning. Didn't feed, so hopefully if I keep leaving peanuts it'll be tempted back to stay longer than 2 minutes.

Hi, not posted in a while but always check in. To my amazement this morning i saw my first ever Brambling! Wooh! Stayed on the feeders quite a while and even flew off and came back, so lets hope he's added our garden to his favourites on his sat nav!

Also getting redpolls already and all the usual suspects, seems to be busier than last year already which is all good.

A female siskin in today around the hawthorns, a very rare visitor to my garden. Also 2 House Sparrow (another rare visitor) on the fatballs. Bullfinch count is up to 2 pairs again.

Continuing the trend where lots of people are getting their firsts of this bird, 27th species to land in the garden was a Jay this morning. Didn't feed, so hopefully if I keep leaving peanuts it'll be tempted back to stay longer than 2 minutes.

Hi, not posted in a while but always check in. To my amazement this morning i saw my first ever Brambling! Wooh! Stayed on the feeders quite a while and even flew off and came back, so lets hope he's added our garden to his favourites on his sat nav!

Also getting redpolls already and all the usual suspects, seems to be busier than last year already which is all good.

Well done all :t: Bramblings, Siskins and Redpolls are what makes the winter months a little more bearable.... of course throw in some Thrushes too.
Very quiet here for some reason, low numbers of everything..... except Starlings and Gulls

Users who are viewing this thread

Back