• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Whooper swan or bewick's swan (1 Viewer)

arno7

Hello,

I live in Switzerland and today, I saw three swans flying high over the lac Léman. The swans were far away and I managed to do some bad pictures.

What do you think?

Arnaud

Attachments

• cygne9.JPG
    cygne9.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 354
  • cygne8.JPG
    cygne8.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 295
  • cygne10.JPG
    cygne10.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 278
  • cygne.JPG
    cygne.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 392
I posted a question on here earlier (see link) about distinguishing whoopers and bewicks in flight as I'd seen a small group flying over me but without good enough views (or photographs) to determine the proportion of yellow and black on the bills.

I was interested to know if the depth and cadence of the wingbeats could help distinguish between the two as for me the swans I saw had relatively shallow fast beats.

Rockfowl kindly located videos of the two species in flight which made it clear that they were indeed bewicks.

So I guess the question is - did the swans have deep slow wingbeats or shallower faster motion?

(looking at the photos i'd say based on the length of neck and the extent of downbeat on the wings I'd reckon these are whoopers).

I posted a question on here earlier (see link) about distinguishing whoopers and bewicks in flight as I'd seen a small group flying over me but without good enough views (or photographs) to determine the proportion of yellow and black on the bills.

I was interested to know if the depth and cadence of the wingbeats could help distinguish between the two as for me the swans I saw had relatively shallow fast beats.

Rockfowl kindly located videos of the two species in flight which made it clear that they were indeed bewicks.

So I guess the question is - did the swans have deep slow wingbeats or shallower faster motion?

(looking at the photos i'd say based on the length of neck and the extent of downbeat on the wings I'd reckon these are whoopers).

I'd say Whooperss too, the neck looks too long to be Bewick's

Very tricky, but I'd go for Bewicks - yellow appears to be no more than than 1/2 of bill length, and head shape seems a little more angular than I'd expect for Whooper (which have an Eider-like profile). However, this is stretching what can be "seen" a little, maybe!

Can't say I'm anywhere experienced (don't get too many of either flying past anywhere I've lived in over the last few years) , but ...

Jizz wise, aren't Bewick's going to be/meant to be relatively more 'goose-like' in appearance, whilst Whoopers have a silly long neck, totally spoiling the impression.

Looking at the thumbnails, I'd say Bewicks on this basis, surely ... ??

( ;) )

Extent of yellow on bill here is hard to judge but looks right for Bewick's as far as I can make out. The neck length/proportion to body shouts Bewick's. These photos can at best give an impression of head-bill profile but would also have me leaning towards Bewick's if I strain my eyes looking at the photos. I think there is enough visible in these photos to ID them as Bewick's with reasonable confidence and that was certainly my first impression upon opening the thumbnails.

Jan

Another vote for Bewick. Neck looks short for Whooper to me and yellow on bill seems restricted, but that's far from conclusive given the quality of the shots.

All Bewick's for me.

In some of those shots the overall shape of some birds, with their necks not fully extended, recall goose structure and points to Bewick's. The amount of yellow on the bills in the clearer shots also appear fairly resticted.

Brian

Another Bewick voter here - the bill just looks less-yellowy than in whooper.

Having said that, I've yet to see a wild Bewick as we tend to only get whoopers in these parts ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back