• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Somerset Birding (1 Viewer)

shoshone

England
Dejected at the lack of presence on BirdForum of our beautiful County of Somerset, (notwithstanding there are viable ornitholigical groups in this county), why can't we have a presence here on BirdForum???

I would only wish that any BirdForum members who would like to not only enjoy birding in Somerset to start contributing to to this thread, that way we not only by exchange of information share our own countywide experiences, BUT share what we have with other responsible birders nationwide who otherwise may not be aware of this County's pearls.

Since I am relatively inexperienced, this might become rather boring with my eulogising about common 'ol garden birds or whatever I see, so it's up to others I think to hopefully make this thread more exciting than perhaps I will be able to make it, after all I'm not that experienced and would love this to be a vehicle whereby others in Somerset might, just might, be prepared to share what is happeneing for them.

I have to say now that due to work commitments I am out of the county a lot, and this morning from my B&B window in the Chilterns, I had a dozen Red Kites 'playing tag' right outside the window. I returned this evening to find half a dozen Fallow deer jumping the fence from the village I am in as my headlights picked them out.
Many thanks for taking time out to read this ...it is much appreciated.

Kind Regards

Jamie

Norton sub Hamdon
(South) Somerset.

Hi Jamie I see you found your way to this forum to start your thread;)

I'm sure there'll be many who are interested to hear what's around in the county.

D

hi. went for a look at chard reservoir yesterday :t:

4 Grebe
1 Kingfisher
1 Lt Egret
2 Blue Tits
2 Magpies
6 Cormorants
40+ Herring Gulls
5 Coots
2 Moorhens

hi. went for a look at chard reservoir yesterday :t:

4 Grebe
1 Kingfisher
1 Lt Egret
2 Blue Tits
2 Magpies
6 Cormorants
40+ Herring Gulls
5 Coots
2 Moorhens

Hi Keith,

Thanks for that!. The FIRST to actually post a list of current sighting to our new Somerset Birding / Local Patch forum!!

To my shame I have only visited Chard resv twice yet it is only about 15 miles from me. I keep getting drawn to the Somerset Levels.

You didn't mention the giant Carp though. Not knowing at first what they were, all I saw was a big V in the water heading for ducks, panicced thinking it might be a huge Pike

Like you I have only recently returned to bird watching, so I'm sure we'll be of relatively similar experience. Looking forward to your contributions on here.

Kind regards

Jamie

Chard reservoir sighting board

Report of a Brent Goose seen on 11th and 12th November.

14 nov

Kingfisher 2

Great Crested Grebe 26

Little Egret 1

Teal 14

Shoveler 2

Cormorant 9

Tufted Duck 7

Snipe 11

Starling Roost spectacle!

Nov 15th 2008 approx 4pm - Ham Wall RSPB Reserve, Somerset, England

First attempt at capturing the Starlings coming in to roost over the Somerset Levels at Ham Wall RSPB reserve. They were well over half a mile away though.

There must be some way of estimating the numbers of Starlings involved. there was many many tens of thousands with multiple waves each time.

Just noticed that the ExIf is still showing BST duh! So you will have to be there at least one hour earlier.

Phone Avalon Marshes Starling Hotline is 07866 554142 for a prediction of where the most likely roost site will be each day. According to the RSPB chap there, it looks like this year they are favouring Ham Wall and also Shapwick Heath.

I'd suggest getting there by 14:30ish and getting a parking spot and chill.

Apparently it is more spectacular if you can get there just before 7am to see the whole lot take off next morning.

When they were all down on the reeds, the noise was spectaclar at first sounding like running water, then like millions of insects as they all had a good natter.

Jamie

no pp done just resized

Attachments

• 4G0U3068_1_2.JPG
    4G0U3068_1_2.JPG
    78.6 KB · Views: 232
  • 4G0U3073_1_2.JPG
    4G0U3073_1_2.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 221
  • 4G0U3050_1_2.JPG
    4G0U3050_1_2.JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 250
Last edited:
Any news about this Dark eyed Junco? apparently at East Coker.

Luke,

Can't add anything to the RBA alert this afternoon sorry. I headed out of Somerset for the week at 2:30pm, so I won't be able to physically progress this for you |=(|

Jamie

chard res today

magpie 6

coot 9

moorhen 6

cormorant 13

Lt Egret 1

heron 2

robin 9

blue tit 7

nuthatch 2

buzzard 1

shoveler 4

teal 2

mallard 20+

common gull 20+

wood pigeon 4

crow 4

wigeon 4

snipe 2

Last edited:
teal 5

shoveler 2

cormorent 11

g c grebe 16

snipe 7

mute swan 1

tufted duck 3

coot 14

moorhen 5

lt egret 1

grey heron 1

g s woodpecker 1

longtail tit 1

kingfisher 1

robin 6

phesant 1

Also took a photo of a squrrel with a bad face due to a very long tooth

mixed011.jpg

049.jpg

042.jpg

Went to Shapwick heath yesturday and had a fantastic day! we got numerous sightings of at least 2 Marsh Harrier and saw a least two possibly three bittern from the Meare hide. Then finnished the day by watching the incredible numbers of starlings going to roost at Ham wall. Its certainly somewhere i'd go again.

Went to Shapwick heath yesturday and had a fantastic day! we got numerous sightings of at least 2 Marsh Harrier and saw a least two possibly three bittern from the Meare hide. Then finnished the day by watching the incredible numbers of starlings going to roost at Ham wall. Its certainly somewhere i'd go again.

Hey Luke,
You came to Somerset....COOL!

Maybe it was the Junco? Did you see it? I missed it |:(|

Glad you found the Starlings roosting...a great sight! :t:

Looks like we have 'Levels' in common.

If I make it to Wales, if you don't mind, I'll send you a PM for best sites eh?

Jamie

I get down to Somerset to see family occasionally. If I see anything or visit anywhere I will post here. Good luck with the thread!
Reg

Hi Reg!

Thanks for supporting out thread. Very much appreciated!

We look forward to your input. We hope you get time to do some birding (family permitting) when you come down.

Hopefully we will have accumulated a reasonable presence here to help you when you do come. Keith is doing a sterling job documenting sightings at Chard reservoir, and hopefully others will start lending their support ;)

Jamie

teal 5

shoveler 2

cormorent 11

g c grebe 16

snipe 7

mute swan 1

tufted duck 3

coot 14

moorhen 5

lt egret 1

grey heron 1

g s woodpecker 1

longtail tit 1

kingfisher 1

robin 6

phesant 1

mixed011.jpg

049.jpg

042.jpg

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n...tinger/042.jpg

Poor little guy/gal....clearly teeth not meeting/grinding properly...bad news for a rodent I think...

Hopefully going to make it to Chard reservoir this Saturday.

Any tips where to look Keith??

Ta!

Jamie

ps Keep up the sighting listings from Chard.....great!
J

Hey Luke,
You came to Somerset....COOL!

Maybe it was the Junco? Did you see it? I missed it |:(|

Glad you found the Starlings roosting...a great sight! :t:

Looks like we have 'Levels' in common.

If I make it to Wales, if you don't mind, I'll send you a PM for best sites eh?

Jamie

I came down with a group. I am the outdoor secretary for my local bird club so i thought shapwick would make a good day and it didnt let me down. We'll be back again.

hi jamie, all i can say is just get urself in the hide and keep your eyes open mate :t:

25th nov chard reservoir

cormorent 15

G C Grebe 23

wigeon 1

robin 3

wren 2

nuthatch 1

buzzard 1

heron 3

shoveler 6

coal tit 3

tufted duck 5

teal 9

Lt egret 1

magpie 1

common gull 20+

black-headed gull 20+

kingfisher 1 east side of res

Starling Show!!!

Hi all you somerset birders,
I am planning driving up from north Devon on sunday to see the starling show any tips on where to go (Sat nav post code would be helpful) and at what times etc.
I have read the post above but didnt know whether anyone could ellaborate!!!

Cheers Darryl

Hi all you somerset birders,
I am planning driving up from north Devon on sunday to see the starling show any tips on where to go (Sat nav post code would be helpful) and at what times etc.
I have read the post above but didnt know whether anyone could ellaborate!!!

Cheers Darryl

Darryl,

Probably the best bet is to look for Ham Wall on the RSPB website. This will give you the grid reference and a Multimap link which should get you to the car park at Ham Wall.

From the car park walk East into Ham Wall, or West into Shapwick Heath (East)....i don't know of any post codes.

I suggested times on my earlier post you should get there well before dusk allowing for the weather as it can get dark earlier if heavily overcast. As dusk is getting earlier still each day I'd plan for about 14:30 to get a parking place which should give you plenty of time to find a spot.

Remember there is no guarantee which site they will roost at, so call the Avalon Starling number I posted above to get a guestimate of where they are 'likely' to roost

Jamie

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back