• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cuckoos (1 Viewer)

baphomet

Does anybody know of early cuckoo recording or if any have been recorded this year yet. I had a friend call me this morning and they were sure they had heard one but I felt it was terribly early.

In my experience most people who hear a cuckoo too early these days have mis-heard, or partially heard a collared dove.

showaddy said:
In my experience most people who hear a cuckoo too early these days have mis-heard, or partially heard a collared dove.

That was my initial thought too. However the friend in question is reasonably clued up on common bird calls having lived in the country all his life. I do still think it was a callared dove though.

baphomet said:
That was my initial thought too. However the friend in question is reasonably clued up on common bird calls having lived in the country all his life. I do still think it was a callared dove though.

Or a cuckoo clock.

I seem to remember asking about earliest Cuckoos last year - apparently it is recorded in the Times or some such paper?

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back