• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Big black cat? (1 Viewer)

walwyn

United Kingdom
with the news of a big cat being searched for in Co Antrim
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3136206.stm

I thought I'd write about a sighting I had in Warwickshire last sunday.

Now I'm not prone to imagining things, I don't see UFOs, Pixies, or Sasquatch, at least not without chemical assistance. But last sunday I was driving back home and coming down the hill from Barby Nothamtonshire into Warwickshire and admiring the view when I saw what looked to be a large black cat galloping away down and across the pasture land.

Well I stopped the car and leapt out for a better look, and you know what?

Rooks!

What I'd seen was one of the Rooks taking off. From behind the flapping of the wings as it took off had looked just like the haunches of a cat running.

Saw one late at night by the light of the headlights in the Brecon Beacons a couple of years ago. Geraldine was with me. It crossed the road ahead of us. It was very big. Not a dog, bigger than a dog, cat shaped - definitely a big cat and we hadn't been drinking or drug-taking!
:eek!:
james

There have been reports of big cats roaming the UK for getting on 20 years now. Has there been a photo of one? Has one been captured? A carcass found? Bones? Have there been any zoos missing a few? Animal dealers with missing stock?

I thought it was now fairly well established that there are a number of large cats on the loose in the British countryside, perhaps something to do with tightening up of legislation relating to the holding of dangerous animals and people letting them go?

Don't forget too that there was a colony of wallabies in the Peak District for several decades after WW2, I believe they escaped from a zoo in Manchester after it was bombed.

Chris Packham did an in depth investigation into British big cats some years ago and came to the conclusion that it was very likely that several were out there. In the same series he convincingly showed that Nessie could nor exist because Loch Ness has insufficient biomass to support it/them.

Spud

Actually, there have been some roadkill carcasses of medium/large exotic Felis spp. found, and past records of escaped and recaptured lions, etc., though in the recapture cases, the recapture was within hours of the escaping. No carcasses of any Panthera spp yet though.

And a good reason why there should be exotic cats roaming around Britain - the introduction of legislation restricting ownership of dangerous animals, with releases by unscrupulous people unwilling to put up with the license fees and restrictions imposed.

I reckon they do exist, though there's not as many as the popular press would have us believe. And most of them are probably not black, either.

Michael

logos said:
Chris Packham did an in depth investigation into British big cats some years ago and came to the conclusion that it was very likely that several were out there. In the same series he convincingly showed that Nessie could nor exist because Loch Ness has insufficient biomass to support it/them.

Spud

Didn't see the programme, but I wonder how much of it was based on supposition? i.e. "assuming Nessie is approximately 'x' tons in weight"

As an aside, and as this is a community of people who habitually go around with high powered optical equipment, how many BF members have ever seen, or better still digiscoped or photographed, an extra-terrestrial spaceship?

Spud

One of my friends is a wildlife artist born and brought up in South Africa. He has knowledge and experience of tracking large cats and when he tells me that he has seen the tracks of these predators in this country I have no hesitation in believing him.

Woody

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back