• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Come on folks! (1 Viewer)

ColinD

United Kingdom
You know this is just typical. My wife's gone away for the weekend, the lads aren't around either. It's October, three days ago there were birds everywhere, I've got a mate on standby to go more-or-less anywhere in the country at a moments notice, and apparently there's not a bird to be seen anywhere, except Ireland. Is anybody trying? I've been looking forward to this weekend for weeks! I need somebody to find something quick! Anything!

Yes, yes I know I should go out and find something for myself, but I need to wait in for a delivery until 10:30. Then I'm off out! Can we all make an effort please!

You know this is just typical. My wife's gone away for the weekend, the lads aren't around either. It's October, three days ago there were birds everywhere, I've got a mate on standby to go more-or-less anywhere in the country at a moments notice, and apparently there's not a bird to be seen anywhere, except Ireland. Is anybody trying? I've been looking forward to this weekend for weeks! I need somebody to find something quick! Anything!

Yes, yes I know I should go out and find something for myself, but I need to wait in for a delivery until 10:30. Then I'm off out! Can we all make an effort please!
They do that deliberately, do birds. They know family blokes are up to their eyes and get only rare windows of opportunity. And they know when the windows are coming so they all feck off the day before. Dunno how they do it. Perhaps we should write a paper.

Well it worked out ok in the end. I got the bike out, and went on my usual route and managed to relocate the adult Ross's Goose which was seen recently at Martin Mere. It was with around 8,000 Pink-feet at Rainford B :)

I'll be posting a full report later.

Last edited:
I think you are out of luck. Sounds like the words out and youv'e been put on the avian conspiracy anti-mega blacklist. Any and all lost Red-eyed Vireos, Bobolinks and Pectoral Sandpipers that overfly Ireland are directed to some non-birding locale on the continent (inland France), while Red-flanked Bluetails, Broad-billed Sandpipers and others from Siberia are refused passage past the Baltic coast. All orchestrated of course by supposedly friendly Robins, Wood Pigeons and innocent looking Chaffinches.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back