• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How many birds do we kill? (1 Viewer)

Surreybirder

Ken Noble
Not sure if this has already been flagged up but a study in Canada has analysed how many birds are killed in a year in that country as a result of human activity. It seems to be in the order of 200m.
I'm not sure how to post a reference but it appears in Bird Studies Canada Latest News - 4 October 2013.
I doubt the numbers are significantly lower in Europe.
Ken

1 October 2013 – Over the last four years, 20 Environment Canada scientists conducted extensive analyses to produce the first-ever estimates of annual direct bird mortality from human-related sources. Their findings were published this week in Avian Conservation and Ecology, the electronic scientific journal of Bird Studies Canada and the Society of Canadian Ornithologists. The results indicate that human-related activities destroy roughly 269 million birds and 2 million bird nests in Canada each year.
Most human-related bird deaths (about 99%) are caused by impacts of feral and pet cats, and collisions with transmission lines, buildings, and vehicles. Cats appear to kill as many birds as all other sources combined – more than 100 million birds annually in Canada. Species that nest or feed on or near the ground are especially vulnerable to cat predation. Collisions with electricity transmission and distribution lines have been identified as the second-largest human-caused source of bird mortality in Canada, causing between 10-41 million bird deaths per year. Collisions with residential and commercial buildings are the third-highest of the human-related sectors, killing an estimated 16-42 million birds each year – mostly at houses.
To learn more, read our post on the BirdLife Community or explore the special issue of Avian Conservation and Ecology.

Last edited:
Around the American West, they're doing a pretty good job with those damnable wind farms. All in the name of saving us from ourselves...

Not sure if this has already been flagged up but a study in Canada has analysed how many birds are killed in a year in that country as a result of human activity. It seems to be in the order of 200m.
I'm not sure how to post a reference but it appears in Bird Studies Canada Latest News - 4 October 2013.
I doubt the numbers are significantly lower in Europe.
Ken

I think the numbers are even bigger in Europe (and USA too) because the population density is much higher. More cats, more traffic, etc...

Around the American West, they're doing a pretty good job with those damnable wind farms. All in the name of saving us from ourselves...

So you've got those hideous carbuncles too! :smoke:

But, one of the points of the study is, that wind turbines are a relatively minor cause of migrant bird mortality! Cats, as pointed out in the excerpt above, are the greatest threat - but power transmission lines and buildings are each, independently, take out far more migrants than wind turbines. If you want to see a "hideous carbuncle" (from a migratory bird's point of view), turn your gaze upon the darkened skyline of Toronto - or London, for that matter. :C

(Strangely, though, a completely independent study found that, in Canada at least, wind turbines are a significant danger to certain species of migratory bat. Given that these creatures can echo-locate, the researchers found this very surprising. Still no explanation for this, as far as I know.)

Peter C.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back