• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Universal smartphone adapters? (1 Viewer)

Hermann

Germany
I'm currently looking at universal smartphone adapters, in particular the Novagrade adapter (http://novagrade.com/store/camera_phone_adapter) and the Tonta adapter (http://www.lens2scope.com/index.php/product/detail/3). Both are available over here, so I wouldn't need to order from the US. At the moment I'm leaning towards the Tonta adapter which is quite a bit cheaper than the Novagrade over here.

I want to use the adapter with different smartphones and different eyepieces, so any adapter for a specific smartphone and/or eyepiece won't do. That's also the reason why I'm not interested in making my own adapter - I'd need to make at four different adapters (two different smartphones, two different eyepieces ... ;)).

I'd be very interested in hearing from anyone who's got some experience with either of these adapters.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hermann

Tonta Universal Adapters

I'm currently looking at universal smartphone adapters, in particular the Novagrade adapter (http://novagrade.com/store/camera_phone_adapter) and the Tonta adapter (http://www.lens2scope.com/index.php/product/detail/3). Both are available over here, so I wouldn't need to order from the US. At the moment I'm leaning towards the Tonta adapter which is quite a bit cheaper than the Novagrade over here.
Hermann

I've recently purchased a scope and having researched what would be my most desirable universal smartphone adapter settled on the Tonta model.

It appears to only be available in Germany and they don't ship internationally.

If that is the case then the experience of others may be limited. It certainly appeared to me to be the more robust/universal and cheaper option.

Rodger

I have just taken possession of a Novagrade Universal Adapter. Initial thoughts are very positive. It took me about 20 mins to make all the adjustments, but now, it just attaches to the eyepiece, phone clips in, still in its protective case, which is an additional bonus, and it's perfectly aligned and ready to go.

I used mine for the first time this evening. I'm very impressed.

iPhone 4S in its Otterbox case. Swarovski ATS 65HD. Novagrade smartphone adapter. Distance, about 35 yards.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    293.3 KB · Views: 416
I have just taken possession of a Novagrade Universal Adapter. Initial thoughts are very positive. It took me about 20 mins to make all the adjustments, but now, it just attaches to the eyepiece, phone clips in, still in its protective case, which is an additional bonus, and it's perfectly aligned and ready to go.

Thanks for your thoughts on the Novagrade Adapter. Seems to work like a charm, that's a very nice shot of the Yellow Wagtail ... :)

What's keeping me from getting one at the moment is that I use two different smartphones most of the time, so I'd have to set up the adapter every time I change phones. My "better" phone is the one I use for work, so that tends to get left at home at the weekend ... :)

Hermann

BTW, I like your blog. Nice.

Thanks for your thoughts on the Novagrade Adapter. Seems to work like a charm, that's a very nice shot of the Yellow Wagtail ... :)

What's keeping me from getting one at the moment is that I use two different smartphones most of the time, so I'd have to set up the adapter every time I change phones. My "better" phone is the one I use for work, so that tends to get left at home at the weekend ... :)

Hermann

BTW, I like your blog. Nice.

Thanks Herman. I have been out with the Novagrade adapter today. Just practicing. The adapter is impressing me more and more.
Here is a picture of a Dunnock I took today.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    302.1 KB · Views: 274
That adapter looks ace! And they do them for DSLR's too. Looks like a really simple set up. Good to hear they work with cases on too as that's the biggest faff with mine as I work on reserves and have to take the otterbox off. Thinking of getting one for my old man as he has a durable case on. Can't find any prices for them though....? Any ideas? Might wait till they're at Bird Fair and have a play with the adapters then.

That adapter looks ace! And they do them for DSLR's too. Looks like a really simple set up. Good to hear they work with cases on too as that's the biggest faff with mine as I work on reserves and have to take the otterbox off. Thinking of getting one for my old man as he has a durable case on. Can't find any prices for them though....? Any ideas? Might wait till they're at Bird Fair and have a play with the adapters then.

They are not cheap. Mine is still impressing me. Not had to readjust it since the initial set up. Available here http://www.cliftoncameras.co.uk/Novagrade_Digiscoping_Adapter_-_For_Smart_Phones

Tonta DA-1/DA-SR 1 Universal Smartphone Adapter

Thanks to Hermann providing me with additional information I was able to acquire one of these adapters:

http://www.lens2scope.com/index.php/product/detail/3

http://www.ehlert-partner.de/adapt.html

They appear to be available through Germany only....
Bodo Ehlert was extremely helpful - the adapter was dispatched promptly once we had negotiated price/shipping costs and international money transfers...

It arrived yesterday after (a relatively quick) two weeks... I've had previous experience of long delays in receiving goods shipped from Germany...

In keeping with my Nikon theme:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=238464

my scope is a recently acquired Nikon ED82A which came with a MC II 25-75X Zoom eyepiece.

This has a relatively short (I wear spectacles) eye relief (14.1mm @ 25X) - I am unable to see the entire FOV... Who said I've got tunnel vision!
I have purchased a 30X Wide DS (Digiscoping) eyepiece - eye relief 18.7 mm - I can almost see the entire FOV! I anticipate that this eyepiece will remain on the scope semi-permanently...

I'm wanting to utilise my iPhone 4S for taking identification photos - if I were planning to undertake serious bird photography I would be utilising a serious camera body behind an even more serious (large and heavy) prime lens - and be even poorer!

Impressions so far:

Cons:

- This Universal adapter will not work effectively with the MC II Zoom eyepiece (without modification) as the DA-SR 1 adapter shrouds the zooming ring of the eyepiece... It may work well with other scopes...

- One has to ensure each time the phone is clipped in that the camera lens is centralised within the adapter shell.

- The complete unit is quite "bulky" and not something that will be "quick"...

Pros:

- It is certainly well made and "universally" adaptable. Following initial set-up the mobile phone of your choice "clips" within the four rubber-clad posts.

- The DA-SR 1 Universal Eyepiece Tube attaches to the eyepiece securely. The DA-1 Butterfly Smartphone Adapter is relatively (lock the tilt and pan functions!) easy to position in either vertical or horizontal orientation and secures well with a knurled thumb-screw.

- It is cheaper (marginally) than the Novagrade adapter. I say marginally because by the time I paid for purchase/shipping from Germany and the additional fees for international money transfer, it works out at about AU$50 less than the Novagrade adapter would be from the US!...

I have made two attempts at digiscoping so far:

The first (Tern) was yesterday in a strong breeze at a distance of approximately 175m with the 30X Wide DS eyepiece. Shutter release - right index finger!

The second (Oystercatcher) was this afternoon at approximately 120m using the same set-up but this time using the +ve volume control of the iPhone ear-buds as a remote shutter release.

There is plenty of "scope" for improvement!

Rodger

Attachments

• Tern.JPG
    Tern.JPG
    620.4 KB · Views: 245
  • Oystercatcher.JPG
    Oystercatcher.JPG
    702.4 KB · Views: 284
Rodger:

How are you getting on with the adapter? I got one as well in the meantime. Nicely made piece of kit, albeit a bit large and fiddly. Didn't have the time to try it out in the field though due to work related stuff.

Hermann

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back