• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Do you ignore Leica ? (1 Viewer)

You mean he might be a girlie lurking behind a male-sounding name, just like Chosun??

Hmm. On the whole I think this is unlikely, given the growth of his beard, but you never know, some Russian 'lady' athletes are also quite beardy. :-O

Lee

When I was a little girl in Poland we all had ponies!!

Manya

I lost interest in Leica, primarily due to their hit and miss customer service here in the USA, and due to the fact they command a premium price accompanied by a pathetic warranty which is good only for the original owner. No other premium optic manufacturer does that. Apparently the vast majority of the 140 or so big game hunters I've had in hunting camp since 2003 agree with me, as I seldom, if ever have anyone show up with a Leica binocular. Maybe 4 or 5 hunters have showed up with them, and most of those the bino/rangefinder combo units.

Leica has got it's azzz handed to them by primarily Swarovski (and everyone else for that mater). Leica Sport Optics....high quality products backed by a sorry company.

Lee,
I do not think we have to blame Leica, since they make excellent instruments, which have style and good looks (both to look at as to look through). Something that may not have passed this topic is our own behaviour as customers. We often act like spoiled children who want everything now and we want it to be new and exciting and preferably a new model every year.
However a good quality tool can last many years, so we do not have to hunt for new excitements day after day, makes life much easier.
Gijs

Gijs I agree with you regarding Leica bins, but companies have to survive in markets that are commanded by the desires and behaviour of their potential customers.

It would be a terribly sad event if we were to lose Leica and I hope this never happens.

Lee

When I was a little girl in Poland we all had ponies!!

Manya

Dear Manya

I am sure that somewhere on the internet there is a website called Pony Forum. There you will find kindred souls who love and cherish all things horsey.:gh:

When you log-in there you will not have to worry about boys, bins or strangely bearded men masqerading as women. :-O

Lee

Leica cannot sell me slightly warmed over old bins (the UV HD Plus) with substandard specs

A bit unfair HN, and I`v not read of an UVHD breaking with a minor drop !

If I look at a neighbours roof about 100m away with my EII (wider than an SF), I can see the whole ridge with a bit either side, with my substandard UV I still see the WHOLE ridge and a smidge at the sides.

The EII is my favourite bin and has a walk in feel, but the difference is more feel than actual area.

Hard to judge the thing with "niche product" and "economically worthwhile innovations" without knowing detailed business figures from the optics makers or sales numbers from the optics stores. I wouldn't be surprised if the Geovid is actually Leica's best seller...

Down here the best sold Leica is the Trinovid 42 series because of the 200,00 euro cashback. After that comes the Ultravid HD 42 and 50 series because of the huge discount (minus 25+%). The only other regular sold model is the Geovid (about 1 Geovid to 5 Trinovids).

Jan

Yeah, I'll admit so much: the conventional layout of the UVHD might make for a sturdier bin than the open bridge design of the SF. :smoke:

I've never heard of a UVHD breaking either but then again I've never heard of a metre drop onto a stone floor being called a minor drop either :-O

Lee

Hello,

I must write that I have been ignoring my Leica binoculars, of late: 3 BA's, a BN and an 8x20. On paper, and in practice, FL glass and dielectic coatings and the size of my Zeiss FL 8x32 are well ahead of those old binoculars. I have not had an opportunity to use my 12x50 BA for astronomy, for quite a while.

I have several Leitz Binoculars, including an 8x30 Binuxit, which I keep. It does not work well with spectacles, it is dim by today's standards, it does focus too closely, unless I remove my specs, but it provides a rather pleasant view.

I would like to see Leica jump ahead of the competition. Perhaps, they have something in the development pipeline.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Sam

You are right about most situations but I find myself searching big areas and therefore benefit greatly from large FOVs when:
Scanning skies for raptors or hirundines.
Scanning lakes or the sea for re-surfacing ducks, divers, cormorants, seals, whales and otters.

And even at short distances an extra bit of FOV can enable you to get a grip on a fast flitting warbler or dragonfly before it disappears.

Like 'edge sharpness', FOV is just one more thing to consider among many other features, but when all other aspects balance out these factors, which can very in importance from person to person, can swing a purchasing decision.

Lee

Yes, Lee, I'd agree with that. My only point was that close to the differences are comparatively small.

I'm a keen raptor watcher, and am lucky enough to include a lot of viewing at distance over water (lakes and coastal), and fixed wing viewing in my week. For these my current preference is a 10x42 of one sort or another, here the width of the field is of secondary importance to sharpness for me.

Best wishes,

My how Leica love has boosted as of late with the +. My old BN 12x50 suffers from CA and the dreary view of its era, and my BR 10x50 has a good view but a stiff focus and stinks (literally). I liked my 8x42 BA better than either, but it was one square brick, never did figure out where to put my thumbs. I want to try the new stuff.

I rode our plowhorse (off season), but Daddy got mad when I would run her, which of course I would every chance. She seemed to enjoy it too. "Pony", not. But you can hate me a little bit.

Ron

You can try that "new stuff" model 12 x 50 for only $2749.00 at Eagle Optics.

I think I will pass on the 'new stuff" 7x42 at $2399.00. That is about $1600.00 more than I paid for my new (discontinued) 7x42 Trinovid BN which was on sale at Cabelas at the time I purchased it 8 or 9 years ago.

Bob

I`v not tried any of the Leica Televid scopes, how do they stack up?

I`m very impressed with the aquadura coatings, I`v never had lenses stay so clean, I had Lotutec on an fl but that did`nt seem as effective to me.

This may seem a strange question, but whenever I`v been at an optics outlet in the past couple of years the dealers tell me the same things, "Leica are out of touch", "Leica have dropped the ball", "Unless a person asks to try a Leica, I don`t even open the cabinet", this seems a shame.

..........I`m just wondering if the dealers are the ones out of touch and should plonk a Leica in front of perspective purchasers rather than keeping them locked in the cabinet.

Yes, I have heard that few months ago from an excellent provider of the three alpha binoculars, specifically for birders. The exception to his argument was the Ultravid 7x42 HD as the other two alphas do not offer comparable models--thus, he keeps it in stock. His objections were related to: a) the minimum focusing distance for Leica is inferior to the other two alphas, and b) light transmission for Leica is not at the same level as in Swarovski and top tier Zeiss.

This seller could be right, but my experience is that Leica Trinovid 8x32 BN, Ultravid 8x20, and Ultravid HD 8x42 provide an excellent "package" that Zeiss FL series (albeit they come close) do not match. By package, I mean the optic characteristics, handling, perceived durability, and service. I am not a user of post FL Zeiss models, or Swarovski, hence, do not have a comment. It is noteworthy that I am in the market for a newer 8x32, and in all likelihood, I will go for Ultravid HD rather to a Swarovski (mainly for compactness). Enjoy in good health.

PS. I will still keep the Trinovid 8x32 BN.

Yes, Lee, I'd agree with that. My only point was that close to the differences are comparatively small.

I'm a keen raptor watcher, and am lucky enough to include a lot of viewing at distance over water (lakes and coastal), and fixed wing viewing in my week. For these my current preference is a 10x42 of one sort or another, here the width of the field is of secondary importance to sharpness for me.

Best wishes,

Comparatively small perhaps but for example the FOV difference between an SF and a Uvid at 20m would be a bit more than 40cm, enough for say 10 Willow Warblers side-by-side, more than enough for a Golden Oriole sideways-on, and, considered as a 20cm annulus around the edge of a FOV would give more than enough area to be useful to give extra help to catch a warbler or dragonfly in sight.

If it comes down to choosing between sharpness and FOV then I would choose the same as you but there are plenty of bins with excellent sharpness so choosing one with a really wide FOV need not entail a sacrifice in perceived detail.

Lee

On fov, I`v been looking at my feeders, 15m away with my EII and UV strapped to my tripod one above the other, the difference is tiny, personally it seems more about how we perceive the fov than how wide it usefully is.

This is not to say the EII is`nt my all time favourite view, it is, and nothing yet has dissuaded me from that, but in reality for me the Leica is a devastatingly efficient Birding optic whatever the top trumps spec sheets suggest.

Thanks, do you own an SF or are you just boosting it ?

Best wishes,

This has nothing to do with the models of bins I chose, just the discussion about fields of view.

Lets just call them a 148m at 1km versus a 130m at 1km bin.

And no I don't own an SF

Lee

Last edited:
On fov, I`v been looking at my feeders, 15m away with my EII and UV strapped to my tripod one above the other, the difference is tiny, personally it seems more about how we perceive the fov than how wide it usefully is.

This is not to say the EII is`nt my all time favourite view, it is, and nothing yet has dissuaded me from that, but in reality for me the Leica is a devastatingly efficient Birding optic whatever the top trumps spec sheets suggest.

Totally agree, when my wife compared our new Trinny to the 32SV, at first glance she thought the Trinny had the bigger FOV of the 2.....
The Trinny has "only" 126m FOV (although I read a test which measured almost 128m actual FOV for the LT, compared to 123m actual for the Conquest HD, which is specified for 128m) but this is less dramatical as you think it would be.
My brother in law's Kowa SV8x42 at 110m on the other hand gives a bit of a restricted view to me.
Sort of a "tunnel view". So I dare to say, a 110m vs 125m FOV will appear more dramatic than 130m vs 145m FOV.
Since we also have the Trinovid in house, I catch myself picking the LT over the SV more and more..... Says enough i guess:eat:
I suppose THAT'S the "Leica view" what people are talking about. I like it a lot!

Kind regards,

Gijs

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back