• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sicilian Gulls (1 Viewer)

Oregonian

I'm just back from a week in Sicily, not all birding, with a few days in the central part of the Island, north of Agrigento, then driving along the coast through Gela, and spending a few days at Noto, and visiting places like Biviere Di Gela and Vendicari wetlands.

Heres the question - I failed to detect any Mediterrean Gulls. There seemed to be a lot of Black-headed Gulls though. Was I confused, or are Mediterrean Gulls hard to find just now?

It was nice to see Slender-billed Gulls, Audouin's Gulls, Yellow-legged Gulls and Lesser Black-backed Gulls.

Cheers,
Jeff

Last edited:
They would have been Audouin's Gulls and Yellow-legged Gulls. And yes, Mediterranean Gulls are not necessarily easy to find in the Mediterranean.

That's actually quite surprising, Med Gulls are usually quite common there, though their numbers wouldn't be particularly high in October. They're common in winter, and peak in March, in fact many thousands can then be seen at Vendicari.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back