• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Balkans Nature Guides (1 Viewer)

AlexC

Aves en Los Ángeles
Opus Editor
Hi all,

I'm going on a trip to Bosnia/Herzegovina and Slovenia this May and was interested in purchasing some nature guides for the region (Balkan peninsula). Fish? Bugs? Trees? Mammals? Any direction to specific sources would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hi all,

I'm going on a trip to Bosnia/Herzegovina and Slovenia this May and was interested in purchasing some nature guides for the region (Balkan peninsula). Fish? Bugs? Trees? Mammals? Any direction to specific sources would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hi Alex

I visited Slovenia in October, mainly looking for birds and reptiles. Whilst there you really should take time to visit the Prostojna caves to see Proteus anguinus, the Olm. Not only an amazing creature, but an amazing experience going to see it too.

Jurij Hanzel on here is a local birder from Lubljana, he may have more info.

If you PM me I should be able to offer you some stuff for Slovenia and a bit for Croatia. I also have some contacts who will be able to help you.

I am revisiting in April myself, so should have more info then.

So long as you write back after you have been with an update and any useful information!

All the best

Sean

Stick with the ubiquitous "Collins" - Birds ( of course ), Butterflies, Trees ( there are some endemics in the area ), Mammals and Reptiles and Amphibians ( the last two are "Pocket Guides" but just as good as the "Blacks" ). As for fish, molluscs etc I think you're getting into the area of huge scientific tomes ( and, in the case of molluscs, a reasonable grounding in German, Czech and Russian ).

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back