• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss FL Eyecups and Rainguard (1 Viewer)

Troubador

Staff member
Supporter
Hi Guys

As has been mentioned on another thread, the latest FLs come with different eyecups. They also come with a revised rainguard. I don't know when the change was made (Gary?) but I have discovered that there is more to the seemingly minor changes than meets the eye.

When I purchased an 8x32 FL a few weeks ago I noticed straightaway that in cross-section the rim of the eyecup was rounded rather than squared off as on my 2004 8x42 FLs.

Two weeks of field use in the Outer Hebrides have revealed the following improvements:

The rounded rim allows faster fitting and unfitting of the rain guard. This is A Good Thing despite Lotutec coatings.

The eyecup is stiffer to screw up and down to adjust its height so that it can be left in a position in between the click-settings and it doesn't move.

The rim mates more securely with my spectacle lenses, and I have tried different designs and the improvement is consistent. This may be because of my spectacle prescription and the improvement may not be evident to everybody but its there for me.

The rainguard cups have a slightly larger internal diameter but within this internal diameter there are 3 small rubber ribs around the perimeter that, if you push the rainguard down over your eyecups all the way, 'lock' under your eyecups and remain securely there. And yet you can whip them off quickly when you need to.

All in all a thoughtful and practical redesign of two of the most mundane components of a pair of binoculars.

Well done Mr Zeiss.

Lee

Hi Guys

As has been mentioned on another thread, the latest FLs come with different eyecups. They also come with a revised rainguard. I don't know when the change was made (Gary?) but I have discovered that there is more to the seemingly minor changes than meets the eye.

When I purchased an 8x32 FL a few weeks ago I noticed straightaway that in cross-section the rim of the eyecup was rounded rather than squared off as on my 2004 8x42 FLs.

Two weeks of field use in the Outer Hebrides have revealed the following improvements:

The rounded rim allows faster fitting and unfitting of the rain guard. This is A Good Thing despite Lotutec coatings.

The eyecup is stiffer to screw up and down to adjust its height so that it can be left in a position in between the click-settings and it doesn't move.

The rim mates more securely with my spectacle lenses, and I have tried different designs and the improvement is consistent. This may be because of my spectacle prescription and the improvement may not be evident to everybody but its there for me.

The rainguard cups have a slightly larger internal diameter but within this internal diameter there are 3 small rubber ribs around the perimeter that, if you push the rainguard down over your eyecups all the way, 'lock' under your eyecups and remain securely there. And yet you can whip them off quickly when you need to.

All in all a thoughtful and practical redesign of two of the most mundane components of a pair of binoculars.

Well done Mr Zeiss.

Lee

I think the eyecup / rainguard changes happened with the addition of Lotutec coatings, not sure of the date.

There have been three FL eyecups. The first ones were thin but rounded. The second ones, introduced with the 32mm models, were wider and squared off. The third and current version, wide and rounded, was introduced around the same time as LotuTec. The size of the rainguards changed each time eyecups changed.

I got the new style eyecups for free at a Zeiss stand on a bird fair. They had a full box of them (hundreds). The squared ones are harder and less comfortable for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back