• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mining application for open cast mining at Druridge Bay (1 Viewer)

IAN JAMES THOMPSON

I don't know when anyone has started a thread on this subject sorry if there is one, but a mining application has been launched by a company called banks mining for opencast mining at Druridge Bay in Northumberland which if given the go ahead will be the largest opencast mine in the UK and possibly Europe. The RSPB has been very quiet on this and I would personally like to hear an official comment from the RSPB about this subject. Druridge Bay is a very important area for migrants and other bird life as well as other wildlife and there are some very good bird reserves there as as a beautiful and wild area. It's very worrying if this application is successful. I read a thread about this in another forum and also a local paper from October. I don't know how to put links up I'm afraid.
Ian.

Druridge Bay, north from Druridge Lane and part of the land south of Druridge Lane, all the way to the fields south of Amble Caravan Site has been extensively opencasted from the 1950s to the 1990s. Most of the landscape you are describing as 'beautiful and wild' is actually opencast restoration, including the reserves of Druridge Pools, East Chevington and Hauxley, as well as the Druridge Bay Country Park. The bay before the workings arrived was a landscape of flat, pitfallen fields with gappy hedges and very few trees, quite unlike the landscape today, which has been restored to useful agricultural gradients, mixed woodland shelter belts and many solid hedges linking those shelter belts, specifically designed as wildlife corridors by the Lands Department of British Coal, who conducted the mining operations through various contractors. All of the land on both sides of the A1068 from Widdrington to the southern edge of Amble, with the exception of Red Row village has been disturbed and mined, derelict pitheaps have been removed and agricultural land improved.

As far as Highthorn being the largest opencast mine in the UK, that description should be qualified as 'the largest mine proposed currently in the UK', since it's only a quarter of the size in tonnage of the recently restored Stobswood Site nearby and it's also smaller than some of the other worked out and restored sites on the bay itself, such as Radar North (Druridge Pools), Coldrife (Druridge Bay Country Park) and Radcliffe (Hauxley Nature Reserve). It certainly isn't anywhere near the largest in Europe.

Thank you for this opportunity to correct some of the nonsense and untruths that are being spread regarding the proposed site at Highthorn.

If not for opencast mining Druridge Bay would be a shadow of its present self regarding wildlife, and when I saw all those nonsensical 'Save Druridge Bay' signs, I wondered what they were trying to save Druridge Bay from. More wildlife habitat, perhaps, since Banks Mining are I understand promising to extend the wildlife habitat on the Bay, particularly in the vicinity of Druridge Pools, where there is no coal to mine.

I find that the people who are shouting hardest about this proposal weren't even there when the other workings took place and I'd gamble that they, like yourself don't realise what benefits the Bay has had as a result of past workings.

I would point out that I have no contact with Banks Mining, although I did work on most of the other schemes in various positions from junior to senior management, including the close supervision of the repairs to the lake at Hauxley in the early 80s, so maybe I know my subject.

Last edited:
Druridge Bay, north from Druridge Lane and part of the land south of Druridge Lane, all the way to the fields south of Amble Caravan Site has been extensively opencasted from the 1950s to the 1990s. Most of the landscape you are describing as 'beautiful and wild' is actually opencast restoration, including the reserves of Druridge Pools, East Chevington and Hauxley, as well as the Druridge Bay Country Park. The bay before the workings arrived was a landscape of flat, pitfallen fields with gappy hedges and very few trees, quite unlike the landscape today, which has been restored to useful agricultural gradients, mixed woodland shelter belts and many solid hedges linking those shelter belts, specifically designed as wildlife corridors by the Lands Department of British Coal, who conducted the mining operations through various contractors. All of the land on both sides of the A1068 from Widdrington to the southern edge of Amble, with the exception of Red Row village has been disturbed and mined, derelict pitheaps have been removed and agricultural land improved.

As far as Highthorn being the largest opencast mine in the UK, that description should be qualified as 'the largest mine proposed currently in the UK', since it's only a quarter of the size in tonnage of the recently restored Stobswood Site nearby and it's also smaller than some of the other worked out and restored sites on the bay itself, such as Radar North (Druridge Pools), Coldrife (Druridge Bay Country Park) and Radcliffe (Hauxley Nature Reserve). It certainly isn't anywhere near the largest in Europe.

Thank you for this opportunity to correct some of the nonsense and untruths that are being spread regarding the proposed site at Highthorn.

If not for opencast mining Druridge Bay would be a shadow of its present self regarding wildlife, and when I saw all those nonsensical 'Save Druridge Bay' signs, I wondered what they were trying to save Druridge Bay from. More wildlife habitat, perhaps, since Banks Mining are I understand promising to extend the wildlife habitat on the Bay, particularly in the vicinity of Druridge Pools, where there is no coal to mine.

I find that the people who are shouting hardest about this proposal weren't even there when the other workings took place and I'd gamble that they, like yourself don't realise what benefits the Bay has had as a result of past workings.

I would point out that I have no contact with Banks Mining, although I did work on most of the other schemes in various positions from junior to senior management, including the close supervision of the repairs to the lake at Hauxley in the early 80s, so maybe I know my subject.

Interesting to read.

So you say the area is a much better place for wildlife because of habitat created after mining works. Great, but what is therefore probably a concern to many is the impact the proposed works will have on the (now) sensitive, wildlife rich habitat in the area, which obviously deserves even greater protection now that it is an enhanced environment, as you state yourself.

Surely the idea of conservation is to protect, manage and guard what is in the area now, not to disturb it with the promise of habitat creation in 10 or 20 years time. The idea of 'off-setting' nature nowadays seems to be licence for developers etc to get away with all kinds of environmental crimes.

As you are familiar with the area and mining industry, could you help us understand that the proposed works will not disturb wildlife in the area and will benefit nature. On a map I saw, the area to be mined encroaches right up to the edge of Cresswell Pond.

Cheers,

Richard

.... largest opencast mine in the UK and possibly Europe. ....

.... It certainly isn't anywhere near the largest in Europe.....

If you want to see larger, there's Hambach surface mine (33.89 km², planned eventually to be 85 km²) and Garzweiler surface mine (48 km²) in Germany. About 20 times the size of the proposed mine here ;)

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/84/Panorama_2_Tagebau_Hambach.jpg

Machinery used there, in context:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9d/Absetzer_Hambach_20080806.jpg

And close-up :eek!::
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/51/Steiger_t370.jpg

Regarding the map you saw. Did 'the area to be mined' really encroach 'right to the edge of Cresswell Pond', or was that an impression given by others, because no maps that I've seen do that. Was the map the early consultation document that I saw in the cafe at Cresswell some time ago and which was already well out of date by the time I saw it, having been superceded by other amendments that showed a reduced land take, but which I feel the opponents were not in a hurry to publicise. It even still showed overburden storage north of Druridge Lane - an idea long since abandoned after early consulations.

More importantly, was it the plan showing the actual boundaries as contained in the recently-submitted planning application?

This is a link to the actual planning application documents. It's worth a look, especially the Environmental Impact Assessment and the Early Restoration Proposals - you might be pleasantly surprised.

http://www.banksgroup.co.uk/highthorn/project-details/planning-application/

The plans show that the area to be mined comes nowhere near Cresswell Pond. The site boundary does indeed come down to the northern edge of the field holding the north pool, but this is simply the planning boundary, not the excavation area. The area to be mined is actually 1.3km to the west of this at its closest point - getting on for a mile away. The fields near Cresswell pond aren't even going to be used for soil or overburden storage, nor even stripped of soil. The site method of working plans and the geology plan show this.

The Early Restoration Plan shows the sort of benefits they are aiming for in advance of the working of the site. There will of course be the standard post working restoration, where the site will be restored to farmland, with some new ponds and woodland planting as well as hedges, but this advance restoration is particularly interesting. The company has control of the surface of some of the land outside the proposed working area and they are going to be using this control to make improvements from the word go.

I've had a quick look at these early restoration proposals and we should feel encouraged. From north to south I spotted the following;

1. West of the old coal road, stretching up to the East Chevington boundary they are proposing a series of new pools the 'Chibburn Pools', totalling 11 hectares with new species rich planting to supplement them.

2. South of this, next to where Druridge Pools discharge to sea through the Dunbar Burn, they are proposing 4.5 Ha of new pools and habitat.

3. West of the existing Druridge Pools Reserve, a further 6 Ha of new pools between the existing reserve and Chibburn Preceptory.

4. South of Druridge Farm, opposite Druridge Plantation, more pools in the fields there, an area they are calling Druridge Ponds, 18.6 Ha of new pools and habitat.

5. At Bell's Pond they are proposing further enhancements with 9.2 Ha of species rich grassland replacing the current pasture around the ponds and the outlet stream.

That all sound like a pretty good deal to me- a load of new wildlife habitat outside the working area, most of it even outside the site boundary and before the site really gets going, not as you say in 10 or 20 years time. Some 'Destruction', eh?

http://www.banksgroup.co.uk/highthorn/benefits/wildlife-and-open-spaces/

Such 'advance restoration' is nothing new. We were doing it on sites in the mid-80s, usually in the form of tree planting, but also other works.

The impact on adjacent wildlife habitats during working would be no greater than it was on those same habitats while the workings of the other operations progressed in the past The wildlife couldn't have given a stuff. Indeed I used to have an impressive list of birds and wildlife that I saw on operating sites. My first pochard was on a flooded area of Togston site and some of my first snow buntings were on a subsoil storage mound at the north end of that same site at the end of the 70s.

On a working site there are vast areas where no machinery goes near for months at a time, or even longer and these hold a surprising amount of wildlife - I've had roe deer, foxes, badgers, hares, breeding shelduck, breeding little owls, breeding curlew (all on Druridge Bay sites) and (on a site we had at Penshaw) breeding little ringed plover on the overburden mound as well as little owl at the same place. The disturbance on an operating site to wildlife isn't as extreme as you might think and the actual active area is only a tiny proportion of the whole at any one time, with undisturbed areas in advance of the working void and replaced material awaiting progressive soil restoration behind it. The public doesn't get to know about these places, because the public isn't allowed there to disturb them.

In the last few years I was at Stobswood (about 2001 - 2003) we had a particular rarity. A peregrine nest. Nothing particularly rare about that you might say, but this nest was actually below sea level. That's rare. To the nesting pair the end wall, which on a site that size remained fairly static for long periods is nothing more than a cliff - and what's more a cliff without human disturbance other than the machines operating a few hundred metres away. This pair nested at a place about 60 metres or so down the face, at a point where the ground level was only 42 metres above sea level, just behind Stobswood East Farm. They fed on the numerous feral pigeons that also inhabited the area and kept the site personnel entertained when their young were fledged by carrying out food passes of pigeons over the cut. After the P&H dragline 'Ace of Spades' finished its task and was awaiting dismantling, they often used to perch on the dragline while it was parked up. When the site was eventually backfilled after working, they moved on.

Druridge Bay Country Park was attracting wildlife while the adjacent sites at Ladyburn and Radcliffe were working. Hauxley Nature Reserve, then just the ponds with vegetation establishing were bringing in a multitude of waterfowl and waders while Radcliffe Site, of which it was a small part was still producing coal.

When we were restoring East Chevington site in the mid 90s, I used to take my binoculars in my Land Rover when I was doing inspections, because even then, at migration time we would regularly have a marsh harrier hunting over the reeds on site near Chibburn Mouth on the way through, presumably to Scotland. Motor scrapers and other equipment including 85 tonne dumptrucks were in the meantime constructing East Chevington nature reserve, bring in the clay for the pool lining and shaping the surroundings.

I've got a photograph of the far bank of Linjton Lane Reserve covered with wigeon, while on the other side of the fence just behind them 50 tonne Terex dumptrucks get on with the business of working Linton Lane opencast. More recently that same reserve had got happily on with it while Butterwell coal disposal point (built 1976) worked out its life and more recently was demolished for the extraction of the coal beneath it (see photo below of the overburden mound being removed after working was finished - taken from the Linton hide in April 2015 - the bush at the bottom of the photo is on the reserve. The pond was covered with ducks, gulls, geese and dabchicks).

Give wildlife somewhere to rest and feed and it will take advantage of it. Weed seeds growing on stripped areas of soil or on ex-farmland awaiting the workings progress, small ponds trapped against soil stores, settling lagoons full of sticklebacks and eels; they all attract wildlife - more so that the short pasture with sparse stunted hedges and few trees that the area consisted of before working - much like the present area behind Bell's Farm that provides a resting space for geese in the winter (as does much of the rest of the bay) and not much more.

Attachments

• RH120-(5)-web.jpg
    RH120-(5)-web.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 227
Last edited:
If you want to see larger, there's Hambach surface mine (33.89 km², planned eventually to be 85 km²) and Garzweiler surface mine (48 km²) in Germany. About 20 times the size of the proposed mine here ;)

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/84/Panorama_2_Tagebau_Hambach.jpg

Machinery used there, in context:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9d/Absetzer_Hambach_20080806.jpg

And close-up :eek!::
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/51/Steiger_t370.jpg
That's what I had in mind when I typed what I did.

Yep ;) Just thought it might bring home the scale of the German operations to our other readers!

Apparently that digger weighs around 14,000 tonnes.

It's a big bucket wheel excavator, but I'd be surprised if it was that heavy on its own, although there would be a few miles of conveyors taking the muck away - maybe they include that in the total weight.

Ace of Spades, the dragline at Stobswood was the biggest dragline in Europe at the time (1992 to 2003), but that's an entirely different type of excavator. It weighed something over 4000 tonnes. You won't see its like in Britain again. The fashion now is for hydraulic excavators like that O&K RH 120 in the photo above. Big draglines are gone forever.

It's a big bucket wheel excavator, but I'd be surprised if it was that heavy on its own, although there would be a few miles of conveyors taking the muck away - maybe they include that in the total weight.

Seems the 14,000 tons is actual machinery weight:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bagger_293

The rush to abolish nuclear in Germany has given a new lease on life to their lignite coal power generation business. Worlds dirtiest fuel in lieu of ultra low CO2 emitting nuclear, such is the logic of politics.

It's a big one.

They are only suitable for digging soft and unconsolidated deposits, so ideal for the conditions there. They can't cope with rock such as the shales and sandstones of our interseam deposits.

There was one bucketwheel excavator here that I know of, but it was a tiny thing, built by Krupp, it was brought over here in late 50s/early 60s by the site contractor, Derek Crouch to work at Radar North site at Widdrington. It was handy there because there was a massive glacial drift channel, where the clay deposits rather than being the 5 or 6 metre thickness as over most of the coastal area there got up to over 30m thick. Not good mining material for the small face shovels and dumptrucks of that time - they need good firm roads based on rock - but ideal for the bucketwheel. It spent the late 60s parked up, but was brought back to life (without the conveyors) loading Caterpillar 35 ton dumptrucks just east of Chibburn Preceptory in 1971 in the preparatory works for the part of Radar that now holds Druridge Pools Reserve. That was its last task and it was the only time I had the opportunity to see it working.

It remains the only example of a bucket wheel to be used in a UK coal mine.

Last edited:
I was just doing a google to see if I could find some film of the small bucketwheel at Radar North and it was quite a surprise to come across this film intead. I didn't know it had been uploaded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqtJ8zoOOFU

It's a PR piece made by Crouch Mining in 2003 to promote the company in a proposed foray to mining in Canada. We also gave a copy in VHS or DVD to each of the men on the site. That must have been the origin of this upload.

I filmed it in 2003. It was the first time I'd picked up a video camera. I also wrote the majority of the script in combination with Farmer, the production company we used. I take no credit for the music selection.

It's strange seeing it again after all this time. It even has shots of the 2003 white-winged black tern at East Chevington, in the days when East Chevington had mud in early June.

Last edited:
I too spent a lot of my career in heavy industry (not mining), and coming from the NE have seen the impact of opencast mining and gravel extraction. In all cases I have been amazed at the extent to which wildlife can and will accommodate industrial noise and disturbance, and the landscape in all cases was much better for wildlife after than before. Not saying this is a universal truth, clearly it isn't, but most companies are sensitive to the need to restore sites with this in mind.

In both the large organisations we were schooled in 'informed debate' - do not discuss issues until you have the facts and can demonstrate them.

I thank you, Barred Wobbler (never get comfortable calling people by these ID's!) for bringing some 'informed debate' to this topic. If only some of the National press would follow your lead.

Mick

P.S. On a recent visit to Sweden we saw an Eagle Owl with young at its nest on a working (and shaking) quarry rock crusher.

Last edited:
Regarding the map you saw. Did 'the area to be mined' really encroach 'right to the edge of Cresswell Pond', or was that an impression given by others, because no maps that I've seen do that. Was the map the early consultation document that I saw in the cafe at Cresswell some time ago and which was already well out of date by the time I saw it, having been superceded by other amendments that showed a reduced land take, but which I feel the opponents were not in a hurry to publicise. It even still showed overburden storage north of Druridge Lane - an idea long since abandoned after early consulations.

More importantly, was it the plan showing the actual boundaries as contained in the recently-submitted planning application?

This is a link to the actual planning application documents. It's worth a look, especially the Environmental Impact Assessment and the Early Restoration Proposals - you might be pleasantly surprised.

http://www.banksgroup.co.uk/highthorn/project-details/planning-application/

The plans show that the area to be mined comes nowhere near Cresswell Pond. The site boundary does indeed come down to the northern edge of the field holding the north pool, but this is simply the planning boundary, not the excavation area. The area to be mined is actually 1.3km to the west of this at its closest point - getting on for a mile away. The fields near Cresswell pond aren't even going to be used for soil or overburden storage, nor even stripped of soil. The site method of working plans and the geology plan show this.

The Early Restoration Plan shows the sort of benefits they are aiming for in advance of the working of the site. There will of course be the standard post working restoration, where the site will be restored to farmland, with some new ponds and woodland planting as well as hedges, but this advance restoration is particularly interesting. The company has control of the surface of some of the land outside the proposed working area and they are going to be using this control to make improvements from the word go.

I've had a quick look at these early restoration proposals and we should feel encouraged. From north to south I spotted the following;

1. West of the old coal road, stretching up to the East Chevington boundary they are proposing a series of new pools the 'Chibburn Pools', totalling 11 hectares with new species rich planting to supplement them.

2. South of this, next to where Druridge Pools discharge to sea through the Dunbar Burn, they are proposing 4.5 Ha of new pools and habitat.

3. West of the existing Druridge Pools Reserve, a further 6 Ha of new pools between the existing reserve and Chibburn Preceptory.

4. South of Druridge Farm, opposite Druridge Plantation, more pools in the fields there, an area they are calling Druridge Ponds, 18.6 Ha of new pools and habitat.

5. At Bell's Pond they are proposing further enhancements with 9.2 Ha of species rich grassland replacing the current pasture around the ponds and the outlet stream.

That all sound like a pretty good deal to me- a load of new wildlife habitat outside the working area, most of it even outside the site boundary and before the site really gets going, not as you say in 10 or 20 years time. Some 'Destruction', eh?

http://www.banksgroup.co.uk/highthorn/benefits/wildlife-and-open-spaces/

Such 'advance restoration' is nothing new. We were doing it on sites in the mid-80s, usually in the form of tree planting, but also other works.

The impact on adjacent wildlife habitats during working would be no greater than it was on those same habitats while the workings of the other operations progressed in the past The wildlife couldn't have given a stuff. Indeed I used to have an impressive list of birds and wildlife that I saw on operating sites. My first pochard was on a flooded area of Togston site and some of my first snow buntings were on a subsoil storage mound at the north end of that same site at the end of the 70s.

On a working site there are vast areas where no machinery goes near for months at a time, or even longer and these hold a surprising amount of wildlife - I've had roe deer, foxes, badgers, hares, breeding shelduck, breeding little owls, breeding curlew (all on Druridge Bay sites) and (on a site we had at Penshaw) breeding little ringed plover on the overburden mound as well as little owl at the same place. The disturbance on an operating site to wildlife isn't as extreme as you might think and the actual active area is only a tiny proportion of the whole at any one time, with undisturbed areas in advance of the working void and replaced material awaiting progressive soil restoration behind it. The public doesn't get to know about these places, because the public isn't allowed there to disturb them.

In the last few years I was at Stobswood (about 2001 - 2003) we had a particular rarity. A peregrine nest. Nothing particularly rare about that you might say, but this nest was actually below sea level. That's rare. To the nesting pair the end wall, which on a site that size remained fairly static for long periods is nothing more than a cliff - and what's more a cliff without human disturbance other than the machines operating a few hundred metres away. This pair nested at a place about 60 metres or so down the face, at a point where the ground level was only 42 metres above sea level, just behind Stobswood East Farm. They fed on the numerous feral pigeons that also inhabited the area and kept the site personnel entertained when their young were fledged by carrying out food passes of pigeons over the cut. After the P&H dragline 'Ace of Spades' finished its task and was awaiting dismantling, they often used to perch on the dragline while it was parked up. When the site was eventually backfilled after working, they moved on.

Druridge Bay Country Park was attracting wildlife while the adjacent sites at Ladyburn and Radcliffe were working. Hauxley Nature Reserve, then just the ponds with vegetation establishing were bringing in a multitude of waterfowl and waders while Radcliffe Site, of which it was a small part was still producing coal.

When we were restoring East Chevington site in the mid 90s, I used to take my binoculars in my Land Rover when I was doing inspections, because even then, at migration time we would regularly have a marsh harrier hunting over the reeds on site near Chibburn Mouth on the way through, presumably to Scotland. Motor scrapers and other equipment including 85 tonne dumptrucks were in the meantime constructing East Chevington nature reserve, bring in the clay for the pool lining and shaping the surroundings.

I've got a photograph of the far bank of Linjton Lane Reserve covered with wigeon, while on the other side of the fence just behind them 50 tonne Terex dumptrucks get on with the business of working Linton Lane opencast. More recently that same reserve had got happily on with it while Butterwell coal disposal point (built 1976) worked out its life and more recently was demolished for the extraction of the coal beneath it (see photo below of the overburden mound being removed after working was finished - taken from the Linton hide in April 2015 - the bush at the bottom of the photo is on the reserve. The pond was covered with ducks, gulls, geese and dabchicks).

Give wildlife somewhere to rest and feed and it will take advantage of it. Weed seeds growing on stripped areas of soil or on ex-farmland awaiting the workings progress, small ponds trapped against soil stores, settling lagoons full of sticklebacks and eels; they all attract wildlife - more so that the short pasture with sparse stunted hedges and few trees that the area consisted of before working - much like the present area behind Bell's Farm that provides a resting space for geese in the winter (as does much of the rest of the bay) and not much more.

Great write up, cheers.

You're welcome.

Just an afterthought.

I am ignorant of the politics and legalities involved, so I'm wondering: Would custodianship automatically go to NWT, who haven't really done the best job with what is there now. Could these extra wetlands etc be enough to entice the RSPB to get involved ?, which would be fantastic.

Also, I wonder if a caveat could be written in to ownership contracts of newly developed areas which assure good management and that prevent drainage neglect (for example).

Cheers,

Richard

I've now had time to scan a couple of the plans from that link to the planning application in my post above, it was rather late when I posted that (well after midnight) and I didn't have time for scanning etc then.

These documents are now public documents, originals available at Northumberland County Council for inspection, so I can't see any harm in posting these copies.

The first image is the second of three plans in a sequence showing the working method. The site will be mined progressively from north to south. The excavation area (bounded by an orange line) takes up something less than half of the total site area.

As you can see, the Site Boundary (red line) reaches right across to the coastal road, but the land for about 1km (EDIT. This distance is in error, see edit below) west of that road will remain untouched. The working area (screened by soil mounds as shown on the plan) is well away from the road and Cresswell Pond and also preserves Bell's Pond. I must say that at only 55m deep it's much shallower and smaller than I imagined. The other sites I worked on in the area were considerably deeper than this. It's certainly not the biggest in the UK, or Europe as claimed in the OP. More scaremongering.

The second image shows the extensive 'advance restoration' to be carried out to benefit wildlife. Banks Mining uses the term 'Restoration First', but it's all the same thing. New pools are shown in blue and each of the areas shown bright green will be planted as Species Rich Wet Grassland.

I must say that rather than being destructive, this proposal adds to the dream of Nick Scott of Northumberland Wildlife Trust who, all those years ago promoted a network of reserves on the bay at Cresswell, East Chevington and Hauxley, so that migrating birds had a choice and if they were disturbed on one reserve they had another pool on the bay to go to rather than flying off forever.

This proposal goes even further. It links East Chevington, Druridge Pools and Cresswell Pond in a continuous strip of wetlands. They are also proposing new hides on the old coal road and on the corner at Druridge Plantation.

I notice also that they will be planting new hedgerows along the old field boundaries west of the coal road between Druridge Pools and East Chevington. These fields were part of the old Radar North site and were fenced after soil restoration in 1969/1970, when the fashion (dictated by the Ministry of Agriculture) was for regular square fields with boundary fences rather than hedges for ease of management by the farmers. In the late 70s and into the 80s there was a more enlightened approach with the introduction of irregular field shapes and inter-linking hedgerows, but a lot of this 1950s/60s style landscape still exists. It's good to see them improving it.

If that's what people are calling 'destroying Druridge Bay', then bring it on.

I hope that these images allow a little more light into the subject. I'm sick of the sight of garish red, white and black posters that some people are littering the place with.

EDIT. I've just noticed on looking more closely at those plans, that the squares on them are a 500m grid, and not the 1km Ordnance Survey grid I'd taken them for at first glance when I looked at small copies of them on-line the other night (as I said, it was very late and I was more than ready for bed). This means that the excavation area is about 500m west of the coastal road and also from Cresswell Pond, not 1km or so as I stated above. This doesn't change the main thrust of my point, though. 500m is still a significant separation from he workings, which will be screened by seeded soil mounds. Apologies for this.

Attachments

• img003-birdforum.jpg
    img003-birdforum.jpg
    275 KB · Views: 293
  • img004-birdforum.jpg
    img004-birdforum.jpg
    263.2 KB · Views: 243
Last edited:
Very interesting stuff and as you say if this is what counts as destruction then bring it on and lets hope a few more places get 'destroyed'.

This is where you come back in, Ian, saying thanks to 'Mr. Wobbler' for bringing facts and accurate information to this clearly misunderstood local issue, and that you'll do your best to:

a) correct any in your local birding group who think this is something to be challenged
b) go back on that other forum and correct their misinterpretation.
c) write to the RSPB suggesting they do not challenge this application, but use their influence to get the best possible outcome.

Mick

P.S. To post a link. Go to the page you want to link to, highlight all the text in the long thin box at the top of your browser that gives the web page details - it will normally start with http://www ...... Once you've highlighted everything in the box, go to 'Edit', press 'Copy'. Then go to the thread/post in which you want to create the link, click on where in the post you want the link, go to 'Edit' and press 'Paste'. Simples.

OR just type 'how to post a link' in the same box at the top and follow the instructions.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back