• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Frontiers of Birding, Martin Garner (1 Viewer)

I seem to have found this thread rather late…
Anyway, I received my copy a couple of weeks ago and I’m certainly glad that I did. What’s the difference between £30 and £15 in the scheme of things anyway – 12 litres of diesel in the current climate

There are some real positives that will come out of this publication as it has raised the profile, or indeed will change our thinking, on many forms/species that can be identified by the acute observer over the next few years. I think this is one of those publications that may well grow in stature with time - we’ll look back on in x number of years and say ‘well, yes, that was raised in Martin Garner’s book way back in 2008’.

The five pages on White-cheeked Geese (Canada Geese) explain succinctly why we’ve been getting it wrong for the last 10 years i.e. whacking anything that’s not a classic hutchinsii (Arctic Goose) or interior into a western race such as parvipes or taverneri - these latter two forms shouldn’t have been turning up here with the regularity we’ve been recording them. Richard Millington’s ‘White-fronted Geese of four kinds’ is excellent and all us goose watchers will have a few more interesting races on our radar for winter 2008/2009. Steve Votier, Stuart Bearhop and Martin Collinson’s chapter on ‘forensic birding’ really is new stuff away from the scientific community and is well worth a read.

It was interesting to see little mention of gulls and nothing on American Sandwich Terns – an excellent article about the latter appeared in Dutch Birding a few issues back that was written by Martin himself.

What did annoy me though was the repetition from other journals/magazines. Stuart Rivers’ tales about bird finding on Barra and Martin’s Northern, American and Pacific Eiders – doesn’t anyone else here get Birding Scotland and has read these before? I would have been much more intrigued to hear Martin’s own bird finding tales (I’ve spoken to him for example about certain areas in County Mayo) and a little more on his predictions of Vatersay, Papa Stour and the Monachs. Additionally, people who subscribe to Birdwatch will be aware of Keith Vinnicombe’s ‘Category D vagrant’ thoughts anyway.

From a purely personal perspective as somebody who has an affinity with the emerald isle, I’d have liked to have seen some input from some of Martin’s friends the other side of the Irish Sea considering the amount of time and pioneering he spent over there e.g. Anthony McGeehan on identifying Inishbofin, tales from Rocky Point or the efforts of Tony Lancaster and Kieran Grace on the Firkeel/Dursey peninsular.

I think anyone who tries to conquer such a breadth of subjects should be congratulated, and yes, the publishers have evidently let Martin down, but for any keen birder this book should definitely be on their bookshelf. Look forward to the next one with passerine identification thoughts – Pine Siskins, Red Crossbills and the like.

Cheers and good birding

Rich

Firstly Rich, in the scheme of things regarding the price of the book the difference is in how many pints of beer we can score not how many litres of diesel our cars can consumeB :)
But then again I am a Scot and you are a twitcher;)

Although I have not got the book yet, I agree with much you are saying, however I do not agree with you about previous articles published elsewhere, for instance the Northern Eider write up that you quoted, also I think the book might have his article about female and immature Am Black Scoters, correct me if I am wrong on that.
As I live by the Firth of Forth and reguarly look through lots of Scoter and Eider both these articles are of great interest to me, so it is good that they are under one publication.
I agree though that the Barra drum has been beaten to death, good to see that you are looking at other sites also too, although Vatersay is annexed to Barra thanks to a causeway.
It's the three small islands south of Vatersay, Pabbay,Mingulay and Berneray that you should be looking at.

Sadly it seems yes that Martin's book has fallen short through poor paper choice, as some of the comments on here reflect, however this aside I am in no doubt it is still worth the cost and I look forward to reading it soon.

cheers

Firstly Rich, in the scheme of things regarding the price of the book the difference is in how many pints of beer we can score not how many litres of diesel our cars can consume
Fair enough mate, but you'd spew up before consuming anything if you saw the price of the booze here in London! At least using the petrol analogy we're all getting ripped off pretty much the same. That was the point of the £15 comparison and to be honest, yes, the price tag on this book is probably a little steep (especially if you compare it to the phenomenal 'Petrels Day and Night' that retails for the same price as Martin's book).

I agree with much you are saying, however I do not agree with you about previous articles published elsewhere, for instance the Northern Eider write up that you quoted, also I think the book might have his article about female and immature Am Black Scoters, correct me if I am wrong on that.As I live by the Firth of Forth and reguarly look through lots of Scoter and Eider both these articles are of great interest to me, so it is good that they are under one publication.
You're not wrong - the female scoter i.d. is in and well worth a read (as is a summary of Velvet, Stejneger's and White-winged Scoter i.d.). Must admit that, with the far superior production quality of Birding Scotland and its inclusion of colour pics, I'll bet you'd be bringing that out over the book if you're searching for the odd dresseri or borealis.

I agree though that the Barra drum has been beaten to death, good to see that you are looking at other sites also too, although Vatersay is annexed to Barra thanks to a causeway.
Not necessarily beaten to death, just I was a little bit disappointed that I'd read all the tales in Birding Scotland. I don't think you can ever have enough of reading about people's pioneering efforts; I'd just have preferred some previously unpublished tales! Yep, thanks, glad to see someone's read my website... and best of luck in 3 months time.

Cheers and all the best
Rich

Have to agree with birdspotter...£15, especially in Ireland,...is a few pints gone to waste!
Personally I dont feel it would be worth 15 pounds...15 Euros is what you would pay for similarly produced books here I would reckon.
And realistically....that fifteen pounds would get you membership on birdguides...where you could print off the articles on scoters and scopolis and yelkouan shears etc etc if you wanted a hard copy of them.

I dont feel it really highlighted anything for me that I havent read before, and the concept of it being "bound in one volume" is unrealistic I think.
There is no cause for this book to be a staple in the car with you on trips (It would soon be tattered if it was).
Realistically if you did have anything covered in it...you might check it when you got home...but I would have gone to my bookcase of journals first.

Owen

Realistically if you did have anything covered in it...you might check it when you got home...but I would have gone to my bookcase of journals first.

Owen

Such is my memory these days I'd certainly go to the book first to check in which particular magazine that damned article appeared!

John

Such is my memory these days I'd certainly go to the book first to check in which particular magazine that damned article appeared!

John

My problem also John is I have shelves of loose magazines lying around, trying to search for one article can take all night, a book with what I am looking for is all I need

Fair enough mate, but you'd spew up before consuming anything if you saw the price of the booze here in London! At least using the petrol analogy we're all getting ripped off pretty much the same. That was the point of the £15 comparison and to be honest, yes, the price tag on this book is probably a little steep (especially if you compare it to the phenomenal 'Petrels Day and Night' that retails for the same price as Martin's book).

You're not wrong - the female scoter i.d. is in and well worth a read (as is a summary of Velvet, Stejneger's and White-winged Scoter i.d.). Must admit that, with the far superior production quality of Birding Scotland and its inclusion of colour pics, I'll bet you'd be bringing that out over the book if you're searching for the odd dresseri or borealis.

Not necessarily beaten to death, just I was a little bit disappointed that I'd read all the tales in Birding Scotland. I don't think you can ever have enough of reading about people's pioneering efforts; I'd just have preferred some previously unpublished tales! Yep, thanks, glad to see someone's read my website... and best of luck in 3 months time.

Cheers and all the best
Rich

These days after fifteen extra pounds worth of booze I am generally spewing anyway, lightweight nowadays I am afraid!

As for wishing me luck in 3 months or so cheers, and hope to see you there;)

And yes I enjoy a good website, nice one:t:

Just quickly as I need to prepare a raptors ID lectures in late July ...

Well, just had a quick look at the book...
the stuff I want to underline are:

1) printing quality: this is extremely LOW and disappointing, but THIS IS NOT THE AUTHOR'S FAULT... not at all... I published in 2005 Avifauna di Sicilia, on all Sicilian birds...and the printing wuality was horrible, nothing as I was promised!! Also, I did not put any word on it, as the editor simply decided without any comments from me... he just went through. The issue here is not about that book, but about nowadays tendency of birding books and editors and the world in general. All of those printing company try to take as more money as possible, are far awya and sadly old the time when birding was done for passione and love, and therefore the books too...nowadyas they are msotly done for money ... this one has been done for pasisone at least i can feeol this, but the editor does not deserve attention to that!!
I hope we may change this trend, complining all the time with the editors ...

2) CONTENT: I found Id section on raptors rather poor and basic but the one on maerlin that is very nice (however already published in BW)... the other stuff are quite good in general wile the one on ducks and geese are EXTREMELY good and helpful. I find also other arguments quite interesting and new and friendly and nicely presented, qith a easy to read style and easy to understand.

All in all, any birders should have it, but we hope for better quality in printing nex time, with ian splendid plates deserving a high quality printing style and Martin's great attention to fine details keep going ...

The Birdfair programme includes a Birdguides advert including a Birdfair special price of £19.95 for this book.

Steve

Thought I'd pop in and say thank you for the kind words about Petrels Night and Day. I bought myself a copy of Frontiers and found it inspiring.

About Anthony Mc Geehan We (The Sound Approach) are working with Anthony McGeehan reprinting an "anthology" of his articles along with a new series of pieces. He and Mrs McGee read a few of the stories to enable us to weave in some recordings made especially on the two CD's. The book is quite advanced so should be out in the new year.

Hope that wasn't to much of an advert. ;)

The Birdfair programme includes a Birdguides advert including a Birdfair special price of £19.95 for this book.

Steve

Thiis now the standard price and anyone who bought it from Birdguides at either £24.95 or £29.95 can claim £10 of their next order - announcd in the weekly Birdguides bulletin, along with an apology to Martin Garner for not doing his work justice.

Steve

Thought I'd pop in and say thank you for the kind words about Petrels Night and Day. I bought myself a copy of Frontiers and found it inspiring.

About Anthony Mc Geehan We (The Sound Approach) are working with Anthony McGeehan reprinting an "anthology" of his articles along with a new series of pieces. He and Mrs McGee read a few of the stories to enable us to weave in some recordings made especially on the two CD's. The book is quite advanced so should be out in the new year.

As you can imagine the majority of birders here in Northern Ireland can't wait for this;)
Oliver aged seven especially can't wait for the sound recordings as he has difficulty getting to sleep.

derek

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back