• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Collins Bird Guide 2nd Ed; Reviewed (1 Viewer)

The preface comments that the first edition sold a staggering 700K copies in 13 languages – a very impressive achievement for a birding title.

I was aware of the Swedish, English and German language versions. But what is the full list of 13?

Richard

I've seen it in French in Switzerland and, like the German version, only ever in hardback.

The preface comments that the first edition sold a staggering 700K copies in 13 languages – a very impressive achievement for a birding title.

I was aware of the Swedish, English and German language versions. But what is the full list of 13?

Richard

Have seen it also in French, Spanish, Norwegian, Danish, Dutch and Finnish. Which leaves four ... I'm guessing Icelandic, Polish, Hungarian, Italian.

Keith

Have seen it also in French, Spanish, Norwegian, Danish, Dutch and Finnish. Which leaves four ... I'm guessing Icelandic, Polish, Hungarian, Italian.

Keith

Not Icelandic. We generally use the English version. I met two Israeli birders in Iceland a couple of years ago who had it in Hebrew. It was fun to flick through from right to left.

There was no Polish edition, either (unfortunately).

BTW - any chance of this coming out as iPod-viewable file?

portuguese?

I ordered my copy today, can't wait!

It does seem odd that they'd relogate Aix and keep the phesants in the main text...

Esperanto? ;)

Danish? Going with the strong Scandinavian theme...

Danish is on the list. I think Greek and Russian must be the leading contenders for the missing place. Unless the Norwegian version is available in both official written forms of Norwegian!

Just rec'd my copy. Ahhh, what a tremendous book. Nice to see the Tufted Puffin mentioned at the back!

EDIT: I actually bought two copies. One for me, and one for my Grandma who - at 81 - can no longer get out to see birds. She used to twitch with her late husband all the time before he died about 15 years ago. I've never seen someone so elated by the gift of a bird book. She immediately started flicking through and telling stories based on the birds she looked up - Curlew, Black-tailed Godwit, Great Skua, Purple Sandpiper. Basically, she was thrilled at such a great book that one can read at leisure (great for her now) as well as use in the field. Fantastic.

Last edited:
EDIT: I actually bought two copies. One for me, and one for my Grandma who - at 81 - can no longer get out to see birds. She used to twitch with her late husband all the time before he died about 15 years ago. I've never seen someone so elated by the gift of a bird book. She immediately started flicking through and telling stories based on the birds she looked up - Curlew, Black-tailed Godwit, Great Skua, Purple Sandpiper. Basically, she was thrilled at such a great book that one can read at leisure (great for her now) as well as use in the field. Fantastic.
Wonderful! Unfortunately, although my mum's still a year away from 81, I reckon all the species would just look like blurry LBJs to her until another large-format edition is published...

Richard

Thanks, Pedro (and good guess, jacana). Just one to go now (Welsh? ;))
  1. Swedish
  2. Danish
  3. Dutch
  4. English
  5. Finnish
  6. French
  7. German
  8. Hebrew
  9. Hungarian
  10. Norwegian
  11. Portuguese
  12. Spanish
  13. ???
Richard

Was the Princeton edition identical or could Collins be claiming US English as a translation to bolster the stats? (Don't laugh, when we quote number of languages dealt with by our service centres we count Brazilian Portuguese and US English separately.)

Graham

Just rec'd my copy. Ahhh, what a tremendous book. Nice to see the Tufted Puffin mentioned at the back!

This is the best post I've read in the past 12 months. Well done. :t:

John.

Was the Princeton edition identical or could Collins be claiming US English as a translation to bolster the stats?
One recent example that amused me (but gives a disturbing insight into world geography as seen from New Jersey) was Norman Arlott's 2-volume 'Birds of the Palearctic' - which Princeton duly translated into the dumbed-down, inaccurate, and less concise 'Birds of Europe, Russia, China, and Japan' (casually ignoring North Africa, Middle East, Central Asia, Himalaya...). :eek!:

Richard

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back