• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Red-necked Nightjar in Algarve (1 Viewer)

aythya_hybrid

real name Jonathan Dean
Ola todos,

I've done quite a lot of birding in Portugal over the past ten years or so but one relatively "common" species that I haven't yet connected with is RN Nightjar. I'm going to be in the Algarve - based in Praia da Rocha - for a week or so later this month (mostly non-birding) and am planning on trying for RNN in the Quinta da Rocha area by the Alvor Estuary. But I thought I'd ask here to see if anyone has any tips, suggestions or ideas for other potential sites. I'm aware they will probably have stopped singing by now.

cheers,
Jonathan

Olá Jonathan and Atricapilla ;-)

Yep, not so easy now, they do seem to have quitened down, though I was only last out for them about 3 weeks ago last time. Saying that, I could hear one up to 2 weeks ago or so from home distantly when the wind and sea were quiet.

They are locally common and seem much scarce deeper inland on the shale, where most of the Cork Oaks are. The Barrocal and coastal regions are largely limestone and they can be quite common locally - so inland more or less as far as the A22 motorway. In fact around the whole length of the motorway they are frequently seen hawking . Also, around Vilamoura and Quinta do Lago/Quinta do Ludo is very good. They are at home in scrublands, which have plenty of bare ground - a few trees are good but not necessary. They mainly avoid dense woodland - and if in wooded habitats (eg. Stone Pines) they have to have open areas.

I think the best strategy is to target areas with tracks (Quinta da Rocha has some) and drive slowly, hoping other drivers haven't passed for a bit and look hard in front for any birds resting on tracks. They do this a lot, often feeding in flight between these rests. They can, with care, be very approachable. Near Lagos last year, there were a couple of fledged juvs. with attendant adults, on the edge of Boavista golf course that were very obliging ffor 2-3 weeks, always resting on the same bit of track.

Good areas for minor roads and tracks are spread throughout the Algarve, slightly inland. A good area is a km or so north of Espiche, Lagos, north of Portelas and Sargaçal and along to and north of Odiáxere, Lagos. The thing is, I rarely go further afield for them because there are a dozen or more spots locally to me.

I just remembered, that I think they are present barely 2kms west of Praia da Rocha - around Praia dos Alemães - there is some dry scrub and pines trees there - its just west of Praia do Vau.

Last edited:
Bob - they breed approx south of line between Cabo Carvoeiro on the west coast and Castelo Branco on the eastern border, though there are large gaps in its distribution. I think there a records as far north as Coimbra but not proven to breed. European Nightjar breeds mainly above the line mentioned with only a little overlap.

Bob - they breed approx south of line between Cabo Carvoeiro on the west coast and Castelo Branco on the eastern border, though there are large gaps in its distribution. I think there a records as far north as Coimbra but not proven to breed. European Nightjar breeds mainly above the line mentioned with only a little overlap.

Thanks Simon,that's great,that puts us in range as we thought we heard one near the house last week.

Inland they go further north than Castelo Branco, they can be found around Miranda do Douro and that is way north.

Thanks Simon for your very helpful response to my query. What you say is broadly in line with what I anticipated, so I'll give Quinta da Rocha a go and may also take an evening stroll out west from Praia da Rocha as well (I know the area you mean: have visited in the daytime before).

Roll on Sagres 2018.

Oh goodie, a chance for another bump https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=363900

....and to keep the thread on track, Nightjars have been regular fare at the festival - even though its in October. I know a place near Sagres (not a breeding site) where they seem to congregrate (4-7 birds) every autumn and stay for close to a month (whether the same birds or replacements on migration is a mystery). There is however, a little doubt on ID as European is around on migration too. They emit short flight calls but I'm still to find a recording of Red-necked's calls, rather than song. Saying that, they do look a little heavier in flight and perched up in the last light and the couple I've seen on the track near there in autumn have been Red-necked. I'm believing both occur at the site, although not seen European 100% at that spot.

RNN Near Ria Formosa?

Hi all - we’re at Camping Ria Formosa - nr Olhau and next to the Ria Formosa reserve an vis centre -for the weekend (June 9-112019) any red necked sites nearby and tips for seeing them? Any advice welcome

Ivan

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back