• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pin-Tailed Whydah in Portugal (1 Viewer)

wolfbirder

One of the exotic Cat C birds apparently to be found somewhere in Portugal, according to a recent thread.

But I can't find any more information, which is surprising as these birds are just stunning.

North and south of Aveiro (Ria de Aveiro) is the only location I can find, and perhaps around Famalicao. All a bit vague.

Does this population still exist and does anyone have any more information?

Last edited:
Thank you very much Simon, much appreciated.

Found this information: -

Where to observe

"The region of Aveiro is the only one where the species has been regularly observed, with numerous sightings along a range extending from Estarreja (including the area of Salreu.) to the south to the Mira area. In the rest of the country the species and much less frequent and its appearance appears to be sporadic, but there are plenty of records in the Ribatejo, particularly in the Torres Novas region".

Last edited:
In the event that you are mad enough to consider travelling all that way for an escaped-cage-bird-once-removed, do bear in mind that the males only look stunning in breeding plumage. For the rest of the year they are pretty nondescript sparrowish things.

Presumably they must parasitise the same species in Portugal as they do in Africa. One book I just checked simply says 'various waxbills'.

Steve

In the event that you are mad enough to consider travelling all that way for an escaped-cage-bird-once-removed, do bear in mind that the males only look stunning in breeding plumage. For the rest of the year they are pretty nondescript sparrowish things.

I may do, I may not.

But yes its a male I'd like to see obviously, so time of year will be important.

Like to know if the population is tiny or fairly established.

For the rest of the year they are pretty nondescript sparrowish things.

Pretty nondescript small sparrowish things that are pretty difficult to separate from other species of nonbreeding whydahs, hopefully no other escapees with them :)

Thanks both.

Truth is I'm a filthy twitcher and have found UK birding / twitching a bit restrictive last year or two and I enjoy my WP twitching a lot. I still regularly bird my local patch and enjoy that, for what it is. But there's nothing like seeing new species, even a Cat C introduced doesn't overly concern me. Have I got any scruples you ask? :)-.

I'm very unlikely to venture further abroad, so quite get my kicks seeing birds like this in European Countries.

It seems they are quite sporadic in Portugal though concentrated into a few areas.

Found this from Portugal thread back in 2012: -

"Vidua Macroura (Pin-tailed Whydah)
Occur in the Aveiro area, in several places:
Salreu
Tabueira
Forca
Best bet is probably Salreu, I suggest to ask for information in this forum:

http://www.avesdeportugal.info/links.html

The forum is in Portuguese but you can post in English.

There are several platforms for post bird observations, and that is the problem, the information is very fragmented, and some species like de Vidua are really under the radar…

You can try to search:
Ebird
And
http://birdlaa5.memset.net/worldbirds/portugal.php

you can also search the flick group :

http://www.flickr.com/groups/aves_de_portugal/
nice photos of Viduas".

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back