• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digiscoping with the Nikon V1 (1 Viewer)

I've shot the V1V2 with all lenses just hanging off the adapter with no problem. Switch to Electronic Shutter though - at least 10fps. I do like the Kowa support bracket though but it does make viewing through the eyepiece more difficult.
Neil

Thanks, Neil!

Finally my set up is complete.

Swaro ATS65 hd -> Swaro 25-50 W -> Swaro DCA -> 40,5-58mm filteradapter --> Nikkor 18,5mm F/1.8 -> Nikon V1

I've ordered the filter-adapter via Amazon from Hong Kong for $2,50. Free shipping to the Netherlands, delivered within two weeks! The advantage of this filter-adapter is that the 58mm-ring of the DCA slides over the eye-cup of my oculair. As a result there is almost no vignetting when I leave the eye-cup in place.

I carry the camera with the DCA attached in a pretty small camera bag. When I see something interesting, I screw the eye-cup down and slide the camera in place. In my opinion much faster and more practical than the DCB-A adapter.

Many thanks for all the tips

Last edited:
Finally got every bit of the kit and put it all together. First of all I noticed that a filter on the 18,5 causes vignetting. A contributing factor is of course the step up ring.

Without a filter it works very well. There's much more loss of light between 25 and 60 on the eyepiece than I expected. My tests were done in very poor light so probably not so noticeable in better conditions.

Filters and step up rings really sticks to the little lens. But the old rubber band trick worked well so no big problem.

If anybodys interested I am now selling my Nikon V1 due to being a poor volunteer!

Nikon V1 with 10-30mm lens kit
£250
As new only owned it for less than a year and have hardly used it!
Get in touch for any more details

Finally got all the bits of my digiscoping set up sorted (Swaro 65 ATM HD, 25-50x e, Swaro balance rail, swara UCA adapter, V1 and 18.5mm f1.8 lens).

Took it out for some waders on the weekend and was happy with this shot of Nordmann's Greenshanks as a first attempt.

Best wishes,

Dave

Attachments

• DSC_0411-3.jpg
    DSC_0411-3.jpg
    432.1 KB · Views: 524
Finally got all the bits of my digiscoping set up sorted (Swaro 65 ATM HD, 25-50x e, Swaro balance rail, swara UCA adapter, V1 and 18.5mm f1.8 lens).

Took it out for some waders on the weekend and was happy with this shot of Nordmann's Greenshanks as a first attempt.

Best wishes,

Dave

Lovely shot, Dave!

Where in Thailand do you live (my stepson lives in Hua-Hin)?!

Best wishes,

Dave

That was a nice sighting for the V1 Dave. Well done.
Neil.

Thanks for the kind comments guys!

I'm based on Bangkok, but Hua Hin has great appeal as a base, with some brilliant birding closeby.

Just to say thanks for the info on the various setups.

I have decided to buy a V1 and a 10-30 lens.

Will be using it with the Swarovski 85 STX and DCB 11

I have owned several setups and for ages I have owned the P5100 and thought it time I upgraded.

Quite excited to see the steps forward over my old setup.

Cheers.

Sleeper,

I am sure that you will be pleased with your V1. I have the same camera and lens which I use with a Swarovski ATS80HD and DCA. With this combo I have had a much higher success rate than with previous cameras.

Good luck!

Mike

Hi Sandpiper

I used the P5100 with a Zeiss 85 and zoom and a swing aside bracket and I got on really well with it.

Swapped to the STX and not really hit any form. I wonder if it is down to the over engineered DCB11 bracket. Hoping the V1 will just give me a few advantages.

I realise I am late to the party with this camera but it seems they are great value at present so I thought it would be a worthwhile upgrade to the P5100.

Let you know.

I already own the 10-30mm zoom which I use with my Swarovski ATS80HD scope and DCA adaptor. My question is... would the 18.5mm prime and 11-27mm zoom cause vignetting with my setup. Which lens would be the best option?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

I already own the 10-30mm zoom which I use with my Swarovski ATS80HD scope and DCA adaptor. My question is... would the 18.5mm prime and 11-27mm zoom cause vignetting with my setup. Which lens would be the best option?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Mike ,
Both would work fine and would be a little sharper than the 10-30. the 18.5mm being the sharpest.
Neil.

24 mm + Seben 18-54x80 High-End ED Nitrogen at 40x = 2500 mm on 1/8s, ISO 200, ca. 60 m distance, windy. I will make a foto with better conditions .. crop.

Attachments

• DSC_9884-convs.jpg
    DSC_9884-convs.jpg
    457.5 KB · Views: 214
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back