• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Binocular Journal (1 Viewer)

In what I hope is the spirit of this thread (having just re-read the 1st post) I'll tell a story that doesn't have me going quite as far afield as high-country Nevada ;)

In fact, I only went as far afield as my front balcony.

Now, I've not been around here much in the last little while, but I've re-visited while researching whether I should buy a set of Nikon 10x35 EIIs. I did: mainly because I figured I might not be able to buy brand new ones for too much longer; plus I was given a nice discount code to use and took full advantage. I've discovered that rather than buying a "white elephant" I've actually bought bins I use rather more than my 8x30 EIIs - which rather surprised me.

But I wasn't using my new 10x EIIs from my balcony. No, I was using (for purpose of comparison) an old (1997) set of Nikon Action Naturalist III 8x35s I recently disinterred from my garage...when who should arrive but a bunch of rather cheeky sulphur crested cockatoos. I didn't want to go inside to change bins (the cockys would, of course, have flown away immediately if I'd done such a thing) so instead I enjoyed their antics for quite some time through the oldy (but not at all mouldy) bins I had to hand.

And, you know what? The view was pretty good! Old, pre-fully-multicoated porro-prism bins can do an amazingly fine job given good light.

Eventually, I did go inside to change - not for different bins, but for a camera. The birds, of course, then immediately hid behind foliage and tried not to show themselves, just because they're birds. Nonetheless I did take a photo or two.

And when the cockys did fly away I grabbed my new 10x35s - because that's what I'm using them for: "balcony bins" to look at birds which are usually a bit further away from me, making 10x magnification an advantage and where I find nice relaxed views, in the daytime, from those 10x35 EIIs quite enjoyable. They gave me very nice in-air views of those sulphur crested cockatoos as they screeched and flew about.

...Mike

Attachments

• nikon_action_naturalist_iii-1-weba.jpg
    nikon_action_naturalist_iii-1-weba.jpg
    351.1 KB · Views: 67
  • sulphur_crested-28-weba.jpg
    sulphur_crested-28-weba.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Nice story, Mike! Yes, Porros can deliver a great view, no matter the latest tech-but the EII's surely please the eyes compared to earlier versions. I feel your frustrations of the birds fleeing and hiding when they know you are around!

I did manage to get out finally myself, to my "home woods" near where I grew up. Things were very green, and humid! The temps were down a bit this morning, and it's why I chanced the outing in the Summer heat on the East Coast. I'm not good in the heat and humidity, but I just wanted to get out, and be in the woods again after not having been there for so long. Unfortunately, there was no breeze, which made it just a humid oven, even if temps were down a bit. I mopped my brow and eyes the whole time I was out-not fun!

But it was great to be out again, and just taking it all in once more, and this time the woods being in full leaf, I took my Zeiss FL 7x42's, and I certainly was not disappointed! That is a great understatement, for sure, because they just performed so well in that environ. Well, other than when I started the diopter had become dislodged into the out setting mode, and the focus was not working! But once I realized why, I adjusted the diopter, reset it and all was well in no time. Great bins, no doubt! They performed so well that I didn't think about them other than focusing, which is effortless in the FL's. The close in views in the woods with the 7x42's were fantastic-that's the best description I can say-no faults found today. Great choice of power for the leaved woods, and extremely sharp, contrasty views of the birds, etc.

Sure, I saw more birds than I've seen near my apartment by many fold-even a close-up view of a King Bird (or possible other flycatcher?) from below-my first time in a woods setting. That was nice to see that large forked tail (do Kingbirds show this?) and hear his call, or was it another like that? I'm not sure now-haven't gotten to my books yet. My first was a sighting of a Tufted Titmouse, another one I hadn't seen in the woods before (I haven't been at this long so take that into account). Blue Jays were staying out of sight, but I could hear them all the while; a big black and white spotted woodpecker-no red to be found, Cardinals flitting about, curious Catbirds keeping me company the whole time, as usual for wherever they are found. Carolina Chickadees, I think, a brown wren, Robins, and so many treetop warblers that I grew weary of trying to see them-or trying to find them at all after a while. I don't have the patience I once had for hide and seek, it seems. I tend to just give up on them most times unless I'm sitting, which isn't often on my walks. Maybe that's why I felt like I got run over by a truck, from not being out standing on my feet for long periods of time. I have been active doing some extended Spring cleaning, but apparently it isn't good training for woods walks. A little while after I got back, my body was not happy and complaining big time!

I think it was worth it now that I've had some time to cool off, take a long shower, and decompress. It was great just being outside again. My FL's even made a spiderweb in the morning Sun display a rainbow of colors, and performed better than I could have wanted-except for that diopter popping out of adjustment at the start. They may need a service, so that's probably what I'll do soon, and take my Meoptas out instead next time. I did find the neck strap even on the lighter weight FL's a bit much on this warm and humid morning. So I will probably be using my Rick Young harness next time, on either one of the 7x42's. I will probably pick a cooler day too, with less humidity to go out again, and I know the place I want to go, that follows a stream in another woods-so not as much Sun to keep me cooler there I hope too!

I wish I could download photos from my camera-lacking the right program now for Windows 7 and Chrome for my laptop. I'll figure it out eventually I imagine! I used to use an HP image director program that I liked a lot on my last computer, a desktop. Since I've had the laptop and changed to Windows 7 from XP, I'm lagging behind in the tech department. So sorry, no photos with this post either!

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words, Barry. Since it's winter in my part of the world I almost envy you the heat. But only "almost" - in Sydney I'm well aware of hot excessively humid summer days so can't quite bring myself to miss them.

Still, it sounds like you had a productive walk in the woods and no doubt the cool shower afterwards helped put the heat behind you.

I've often thought I'd like to try the Zeiss FL 7x42s, but I've not had the opportunity. Many people say great things about them. (Note: my primary bins are Zeiss 8x32 FLs and I also have a set of the FL 10x56.) I'm not inclined to "buy to try" since I have more than enough bins already and, in any case, they're getting rather hard to find. Probably because happy owners are reluctant to part with them. But I would like to find someone using a 7x42 FL who's willing to let me look through them for a while, just to see for myself. Who knows? I might change my mind about whether I "need" them :eek!:

...Mike

In what I hope is the spirit of this thread (having just re-read the 1st post) I'll tell a story that doesn't have me going quite as far afield as high-country Nevada ;)

In fact, I only went as far afield as my front balcony.

Hi Mike,

I think a lot of US and UK birdwatchers would be delighted to be able to observe sulphur-crested cockatoos from their balcony! I have seen rainbow lorikeets which I understand are fairly commonplace in Australia, in Singapore (the local population must have originated from escaped cage birds) and they were amazing to look at. What colours!

I'm in total agreement that single coated porros can still offer a fine view in bright conditions. I've found myself using my single coated porros on almost every outing over the last few months, ever since some great summer weather set in. Their field of view is a real advantage when watching the pair of peregrines not far from me hunting, which they have been doing quite consistently (the female captured the tail-ender of a flock of feral pigeons with consummate ease this morning). Very few things are better in life - for me anyway - than being by myself at daybreak, everything quiet and still, watching the light over the area turn from blue to pink and gold, waiting for a peregrine to hunt through a classic Zeiss.

On a slightly different note, I was able to observe birds of a different kind on the 10th when the Royal Air Force made their 100th anniversary flypast over London. I think most of the crowd was wowed most by the F-35s and Eurofighters but I had never before seen Spitfires in the air and immensely enjoyed being able to study them through 8x30s as they went by with those Merlin engines humming.

Best,
patudo

Yes, Mike, it was a good day for me, no doubt! I think if you had a pair of Zeiss FL 7x42's, you would be hard pressed to let them go! Especially since you already know FL's too.

Patudo-yes to all you said too, and I'm jealous of your seeing the Spits in person-that must have been really something! What a great silhouette they present with thier broad wingspans! I can only imagine the prop driven Merlins' great sound would be inspiring, so different from the jets!

Last edited:
I have seen rainbow lorikeets which I understand are fairly commonplace in Australia, in Singapore (the local population must have originated from escaped cage birds) and they were amazing to look at. What colours!
What colours indeed! I get rainbow lorikeets here most every day and I can assure you that a close-up view through a decent pair of bins is quite stunning. They, and the little eastern spinebills which visit occasionally, would probably be my favourite local birds.

..when watching the pair of peregrines not far from me hunting, which they have been doing quite consistently (the female captured the tail-ender of a flock of feral pigeons with consummate ease this morning).
And now it's my turn to be jealous! I'd love to see peregrines hunting but never have...
I think if you had a pair of Zeiss FL 7x42's, you would be hard pressed to let them go!
Maybe that's what I'm afraid of!

...Mike

What colours indeed! I get rainbow lorikeets here most every day and I can assure you that a close-up view through a decent pair of bins is quite stunning. They, and the little eastern spinebills which visit occasionally, would probably be my favourite local birds.

And now it's my turn to be jealous! I'd love to see peregrines hunting but never have...

...Mike

Hey Mike - just had a look at your flickr page - some really nice pics of your birds! Your eastern spinebill reminds me very much of the olive-backed sunbirds that visited my parents' place in Singapore.

Peregrines... let me send you a private message.

Patudo-yes to all you said too, and I'm jealous of your seeing the Spits in person-that must have been really something! What a great silhouette they present with thier broad wingspans! I can only imagine the prop driven Merlins' great sound would be inspiring, so different from the jets!

I think the Spitfire can be a bit over-romanticised, but... it's not just a truly iconic aircraft by anyone's definition, but a flying memorial to that generation who endured quite unimaginable hardship during the war. I'm very grateful organizations like the Memorial Flight exist. The three Spitfires that flew over that day came from the north northeast behind an old Lancaster bomber and were flanked by two Hurricanes - so no less than eight Merlin engines and one Griffon humming by. They weren't all that far away from my position and I could see lots of detail with the 8x30 - a very memorable experience.

There's been a proper heatwave the last week with most days hitting 30 degrees Celsius or more. Great light for looking through binoculars, but a bit of an ordeal to get anywhere.

Cheers
patudo

Attachments

• IMG_5882_02.JPG
    IMG_5882_02.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Thunderstorms the weekend before last blotted out my birdwatching, but the heatwave soon returned and this weekend was bright and sunny as it has been for most of the last two months and more. It's been unpleasant to be out in the middle of the day, normally a good time but now seemingly quite unproductive (somewhat odd given there must be thermals rising all over the city), so most of my effort has been in the early morning before it gets too hot. Saturday was quiet, but Sunday was a good day. Some of the morning's highlights:

First flight of the day, just before sunrise. Saw the juvenile female was missing from her perch, but caught her flying out to the southwest, carrying on for a couple hundred yards or so before she closed her wings and stooped at a shallow angle and not at particularly great speed at some target in or near the treetops of the park. It was very apparent even in just those several seconds how her flight had become much more assured and stylish than when I had last seen her. She reappeared shortly afterwards a little further to the south and flew back to her perch.

Second flight of the day. The juvenile left her perch and flew out, initially to the southwest, but this might have been a diversionary tactic as she soon doubled back and stooped sharply at a pigeon flying out low to the southeast. The speed with which she entered the stoop was further proof that her hunting skills had improved, but her final approach still lacked finesse. The pigeon got away.

Fourth hunt of the day. This time it was one of the adults, flying out to the north in a fast shallow climb. Initially not sure what it was after, then as it began descending at the same shallow angle its target entered my field of view - a high pigeon, also travelling northwards. The pigeon clearly saw trouble coming and tried to put some distance between itself and the peregrine to begin with, but after a few seconds realized it wasn’t going to outdistance its pursuer and began diving down for the rooftops. The peregrine in turn tried to cut its prey off, so much so that as the two birds went streaking downwards it was actually ahead of the pigeon, but at the final moment the pigeon whizzed past, incredibly close, and went to ground.

That was a superb flight - I had to once again acknowledge just how difficult a target a feral pigeon can be - fast, alert and capable of some amazing tricks. I have seen a number of (apparently) very easy captures, but most of those were achieved by surprise; I have not often seen a fully alerted pigeon outflown.

Sixth attempt of the day. I'd switched to a group of four pigeons flying out, but in the top left part of my field of view saw him coming off his perch after them. He came in from above and behind and I thought they were almost perfectly lined up for him to drop down under them and make the final approach into the blind spot from behind and below, but he pitched up abruptly – quite a grand sight as the grey mail-like look of his underside almost shone red in the morning sun - and flew back to his perch.

Seventh and last attempt off the day. Off he went from his perch, coming down quickly at pigeons crossing the danger zone. He must have missed his first target as he went shooting up high with rapidly beating wings and I thought he would abandon the hunt as I had very often seen him do, but he must have seen another opportunity as he turned over in mid-air, came down at a second pigeon, and connected very close to me. No matter how many times I see it the drama of a peregrine catching its prey in flight still amazes me.

Juvenile in attendance almost immediately, screaming loudly, trying to get the prey off him. He hung on to it, reaching down and expertly delivering the killing bite, and headed for home. Before he got there the juvenile came steaming in again and this time grabbed hold of the kill. Both birds came down and I must admit I thought there would be a crash-landing before the adult relinquished its prey.

The binocular through which I observed everything today was (to keep to the spirit of this thread) the Zeiss West 8x30 which I have been been using more than any of my other binoculars since this good weather set in. In that bright morning sun I did not feel disadvatanged by its low light transmission, and the 8.5 degree field of view made it easy to keep up with fast-flying targets and to check on birds that were perched outside my field of view with just a slight movement to the side. I had my binoculars to my eyes all the time, so the short eye relief wasn't an issue. They're light and handy and I find them altogether a joy to hold and use. Not bad for a binocular 15 years older than I am!

Nice bins, nice and easy to carry anywhere without noticing (8x30 now being my new goTo pair). I saw one peregrine on the hospital from Barnes a week back, very small. To see them hunting, you are lucky!

PEter

I attempted birding in Las Vegas, NV last week using my Zeiss Victory 8x25 and attempting to use a brand new Panasonic compact zoom camera. The camera is fully automatic, but it has literally hundreds of parameter settings. As an obsessive explorer of gadgets and optimizer I had to "figure out" the proper parameters. I spent hours pouring over the 400+ page online manual and fiddling the parameters as my wife gambled away the children's inheritance. We decided to start at Sunset Park, an urban park near the airport with water that was listed as a hotspot in ebird.

At the park we saw a collection of Grackles under a tree right near a parking space so we pulled over and parked. They looked quite ragged and as I stepped out of the car I understood why. The car listed the external temperature as 109 F (43 C). A couple males were somewhat active, squawking and demonstrating with small sticks for the others, but all the plumage was is fairly poor shape. It could have been a mating ritual, or it could have been Grackle speak for "kill me please!" Ten minutes outside the car was about all I could bear and then we took off in search of the pond across the park.

When we got to the parking for the pond, we stayed in the air conditioned car just to see what we could see from a distance rather than walking a hundred yards and back. We really couldn't see the water, just a pavilion and the walkway around the pond, but we saw Mallards, Canada Geese, domestic geese and ducks, feral pigeons, and a few more Grakles.

The original plan was to head Northwest toward Summerlin to visit a store and also because it was on the way to either Floyd Lamb Park or Corn Creek Station, but our initial outdoor experience and a sudden and thrilling thunderstorm convinced us otherwise. We had a nice lunch in Summerlin and headed back to the Las Vegas Strip.

Alan

On a family vacation last week up in Central Oregon, north of Sisters, I managed to get out early every morning to bird, usually around 6:30 am. My primary binoculars were 8x42 Zeiss SF, which worked great, on a Rick Young Harness. On a few days I used a Nikon EDG 10x42 with a regular strap. If I was wandering about looking for something to paint, but being mindful of bird potential, I took a Nikon MHG 8x42 with the Rick Young Harness. Each setup had its positives, and some had a few drawbacks.

The wide field of the Zeiss SF and the Nikon MHG really helped in certain situations, trying to suss out birds in pines or willows. When birds were more stationary, and easily spotted, then the 10x42 EDG provided an excellent view. Anytime I had to chase a bird through the trees or foliage though, the 10x42 was less enjoyable/effective.

I cannot find any criticism at all of the Rick Young Harness for any of the binoculars I've used it on. The off axis set up, where only one arm is looped through the straps makes a helpful difference if you're carrying a backpack full of art supplies, and your camera is on one side in a belt pack, you can bias the hang of the binocular to sit on the other side. It is a really versatile and lightweight piece of gear.

This is an interesting time of year to bird because of the presence of Juveniles in many species, which provide visual examples that don't necessarily match the textbook views of birds we expect to see. Juvenile Robins, for example, are far more complex visually, though not hard to identify. Yellow rumps are all over the map. Females, males, juveniles, ratty looking breeding plumage, etc. Messy, but fun nonetheless.

One of the most fascinating things I observed on more than one occasion was the impact of the Brown-headed Cowbird on other species. I became accustomed to hearing the buzzing whine of a juvenile Cowbird that was begging/demanding food from its unwitting, and smaller, foster parent. Warblers and Song Sparrows were the host specie victims I witnessed in just a few days. A few pictures are show below.

Following Chuck's advice, I brought a lot of binoculars with me on this trip, and was fortunate to be able to share birding with many members of my family as a result. It is always fun to get folks to go out and look, and see if they get something out of it.

Attachments

• cbw.2.sm.jpg
    cbw.2.sm.jpg
    571.4 KB · Views: 33
  • cbw.1.jpg
    cbw.1.jpg
    309.4 KB · Views: 34
  • cbw.3.sm.jpg
    cbw.3.sm.jpg
    412.2 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Nice bins, nice and easy to carry anywhere without noticing (8x30 now being my new goTo pair). I saw one peregrine on the hospital from Barnes a week back, very small. To see them hunting, you are lucky!

PEter

Hi Peter,

Is that Charing Cross Hospital? The pair there are quite well known and one of the local residents logs her sightings on facebook. That neck of the woods is a little too far for me but I do see the pair east of them fairly regularly.

Lucky and motivated enough to get up stupidly early might better describe it - I have tried really hard to find a pair that went about their business at more sensible hours but thus far with no success. The flights that do take place during the soaring hours can be spectacular though.

There's a lot to be said for a good 8x30 indeed - I don't mind using a big binocular but I'm still impressed by how such a small and discreet package can offer a 150m field of view at 8x magnification, and a good one at that. I would have liked to look through the 8x30E you had for sure. I have watched some hunts with the Swift 7x35 (very similar to your Bushnell) with even wider field of view and it was a pleasure to capture the birds within that big field of view so easily, but at 7x distant birds look very small.

Cheers,
patudo

Hey Mike - just had a look at your flickr page - some really nice pics of your birds! Your eastern spinebill reminds me very much of the olive-backed sunbirds that visited my parents' place in Singapore.

Peregrines... let me send you a private message.

I think the Spitfire can be a bit over-romanticised, but... it's not just a truly iconic aircraft by anyone's definition, but a flying memorial to that generation who endured quite unimaginable hardship during the war. I'm very grateful organizations like the Memorial Flight exist. The three Spitfires that flew over that day came from the north northeast behind an old Lancaster bomber and were flanked by two Hurricanes - so no less than eight Merlin engines and one Griffon humming by. They weren't all that far away from my position and I could see lots of detail with the 8x30 - a very memorable experience.

There's been a proper heatwave the last week with most days hitting 30 degrees Celsius or more. Great light for looking through binoculars, but a bit of an ordeal to get anywhere.

Cheers
patudo

Anything can be over-ramanticized, but they certainly are not standard fare to see today, even in Britain, so can be appreciated just out of rarity and beauty in sight and sound of their flight. Just big birds, with a little bit more voice and stimulating noise of the Merlin engins! Yes no doubt, a poignant reminder of those horrible and sad days of WWII, especially for those of you in Europe at the time, or your relatives and any of your or our countrymen, in the war. Flight is something special, and something of note for any binocular carrying bird watcher. The last big bird I saw through them was a big white jetliner, flying low over my woods that I was stalking at the time, as are some other petrol fueled flyers in my neighborhood from military & private helicopters to private single and double engined planes as well. I remember when I was a kid, we would always call out, Double-winger!, when a biplane flew over, and it wasn't a rare thing, but a welcome visit from the past. Even today, the biplanes are my favorites, from WWI, though I haven't seen one fly for a long time in person, other than on Youtube, from those that are restored and being used today. Though, I have always marvelled at the gliders being released at a nearby airport as a kid, and still see some today when I am out and about watching for birds of note near me.

I will always favor a 10X for those views, I think, but they are welcome to fly really close to me anytime I am out and about, and I will take what I can see with whatever I am carrying at the time, for sure. When I saw some military helios fly by not long ago, they were impressive in sound and sight, and no more than an 8x at the time-they were that close.

So, yes, birds are great, if you can find them, but to me, all is a welcome subject when I am our or at home. In these hot days of Summer, not much is milling about here, including me!!!

On a family vacation last week up in Central Oregon, north of Sisters, I managed to get out early every morning to bird, usually around 6:30 am. My primary binoculars were 8x42 Zeiss SF, which worked great, on a Rick Young Harness. On a few days I used a Nikon EDG 10x42 with a regular strap. If I was wandering about looking for something to paint, but being mindful of bird potential, I took a Nikon MHG 8x42 with the Rick Young Harness. Each setup had its positives, and some had a few drawbacks.

The wide field of the Zeiss SF and the Nikon MHG really helped in certain situations, trying to suss out birds in pines or willows. When birds were more stationary, and easily spotted, then the 10x42 EDG provided an excellent view. Anytime I had to chase a bird through the trees or foliage though, the 10x42 was less enjoyable/effective.

I cannot find any criticism at all of the Rick Young Harness for any of the binoculars I've used it on. The off axis set up, where only one arm is looped through the straps makes a helpful difference if you're carrying a backpack full of art supplies, and your camera is on one side in a belt pack, you can bias the hang of the binocular to sit on the other side. It is a really versatile and lightweight piece of gear.

This is an interesting time of year to bird because of the presence of Juveniles in many species, which provide visual examples that don't necessarily match the textbook views of birds we expect to see. Juvenile Robins, for example, are far more complex visually, though not hard to identify. Yellow rumps are all over the map. Females, males, juveniles, ratty looking breeding plumage, etc. Messy, but fun nonetheless.

One of the most fascinating things I observed on more than one occasion was the impact of the Brown-headed Cowbird on other species. I became accustomed to hearing the buzzing whine of a juvenile Cowbird that was begging/demanding food from its unwitting, and smaller, foster parent. Warblers and Song Sparrows were the host specie victims I witnessed in just a few days. A few pictures are show below.

Following Chuck's advice, I brought a lot of binoculars with me on this trip, and was fortunate to be able to share birding with many members of my family as a result. It is always fun to get folks to go out and look, and see if they get something out of it.

Very nice report on your views recently, Bill! Nice to be able to walk along with you, and others here on their daily observations! And good for you and your painting-to be able to represent nature in this regard is to be appreciated and applauded. I'm a frustrated artist, always appreciating the brush strokes of some amazing artists-and for me nothing is better in that regard than nature for the subject. So, please continue on that path to represent what you see. I think the individual interpretation of what you see and what you show from your works are the magic that all artists are looking for-and I hope you find it too! Give us a link if it's not related to birds, even, OK? And keep up your entertaining posts into the natural world around you!

Bill, good for you to be able to keep up with getting out and observing, and recording whatever medium you manage to do it in. That's what it's all about, afterall, isn't it? Other than just experiencing it yourself, first-hand. That tops all others, and the most important experience of all in life-to observe and appreciate nature, in whatever environment you are living. There's nothing like it, from where I stand, or sit even. Go out and see it in person, and you will be rewarded many-fold over just reading about it. And take your binoculars too-that is an important link to the outside world that once you experience that, you will never be the same, or without binoculars again.

This weekend turned grey and cold, with gloves and headgear required early this morning. But last weekend's visit to Rainham RSPB reserve for the first time was a treat. I'd never been to what is generally thought to be London's premier birding site before and it was with great interest that I broke out the old 10x40 for my first look over the great expanse (by London standards) of wetland, grassland and overgrown ground, all somewhat dried out thanks to the long hot summer and almost immediately picked up an Eurasian hobby coursing over the marshes to the north. As the midday heat subsided activity seemed to increase, with smallish flocks of starling and large groups of goldfinch popping up in front of us. Goldfinch are pretty frequently seen in the city, but almost always in small parties, so seeing the distinctive bright yellow spots mirrored in a hundred or more wings beating in unison was delightful to observe. Also seen: lapwing, marsh harrier (I think just the one bird intermittently flapping low over the marsh as it quartered around looking for food), kestrels soaring and hovering, two sparrowhawks on the soar. But the undoubted highlight of the day though had to be those hobbies - doing everything from thermalling up high into the sky to briefly alighting on the ground (I really didn't expect to see one do this), hawking dragonflies from over the marsh, and racing just over the marsh at great speed after more active prey. Their manner of flight so light and effortless in the calm air compared to peregrines or even kestrels that they often seemed to be flying for the fun of it, yet very rapid and incredibly agile when they decided to turn on the pace. Just brilliant to watch.

It took me a while to get familiar with the 10x40 Dialyt (P model) which I hadn't used for a while, and the readjustment process was a bit troublesome at first. The IPD I liked best seemed to be too far apart for the binocular (I've noticed this with other roof prism binoculars - I need to close them up a little more than I would like to) and the image initially seemed flat and lacking in contrast, although I suspect atmospheric and lighting conditions might have had contributed to that. Within half an hour or so, however, I was liking what I was seeing a lot better, and the binocular itself was as pleasant to use as it has always been to me - I still think this version of the renowned series of classics is the binocular that best fits my hands. All things considered, a beautiful afternoon in a pleasant spot, observing interesting birds with a proven and trusted binocular - one can't wish for much more really.

I took my Opticron Traveller 8x32s for a walk a couple of days ago. I live in suburbs surrounded by houses on what we call in the UK 'an estate' meaning a small to medium sized area with houses of a similar style and size. About 3 mintutes walk away this estate has a double line of trees opposite a line of house with a road in between. Actually the gap between these two lines of trees is an old 'drovers' road along which cattle were driven, long, long before there were houses built on this hillside. All there is at this point between the trees is an intermittent stream but higher up the hill there is still a trackway. Here it is designated for walkers and horseriders and it proceeds up the hill, sunken between two banks due to the wear of generations of drovers, their cattle, horses and also the water that flows down it after heavy rain. There are old trees on the tops of the banks so I can't see out of the sunken lane until I get to the top and it is here that I stop to lean on an old farm gate and look over a wide and long valley. Scanning the fields and hedgerows with the Opticrons I can't see a fox this time unlike the last time I was here. But to the west there are strange mewing sounds and the Opticrons pick out two Buzzards swooping low over a distant field. They skim the hedgerows then soar up on the stiff breeze before swooping around each other, calling. They look like two youngsters doing what the young of all species do. I watched them for a quarter of an hour before turning and making my way back home via the sunken lane. That lane is like a magic portal. I walk into it surrounded by suburban houses, a row of shops, parked cars and passing buses, but at the top I emerge into open countryside with foxes and Buzzards. Magic.

Lee

Nice stories, guys! Well, our long heat spell finally broke, and even though it was still very humid, at least the temps were down into even the mid 60's in the afternoon, and feeling more like fall. Luckily there was a good breeze most of the time to help. So I stopped by my town haunt by the railroad tracks, and unused industrial grounds that become grasslands during the Spring and Summer. I pulled out my trusty Minolta 8x40W Classic II's out o the trunk (my favorite $50 bin) and started to come alive again, drinking in all the nature I could see around me. There were fewer birds than I thought would be there, but I still had some nice sightings anyway-one of the best was when I got back in the car ready to leave, and was cooling the car down with the door open, in my blind on wheels! It does seem birds like you better when you are not out in the open, even if you stand and go at a slow pace.

There I saw a family of Mocking birds, hopping about in a little tree. They were trying to eat the fruit that was starting to ripen-a small yellowish seed pod (like a small pineapple) made up of individual kernels. I thought it was some sort of magnolia; seems it might be a Sweetbay Magnolia from what I could find. No matter, the Mocking birds sure seemed to like it, especially the young ones. They weren't that good at it, but they get an E for effort. Kids are always hungry!

There was still one I can't ID yet, that was attacking the tops of the dandelion seed tufts-a smaller bird, and overall an olive green going into yellow on the sides and maybe breast, with dark bill and eyes, and no markings on the head that stood out, nor wing bars either, but the wings had a large blackish area on them. He was hopping up from the ground over a little rise in the ground, so I didn't get to see a lot of him at times. Enough for more experienced birders, I'm sure, but I still have trouble when I get home and look them up. The voice may have been an inobtrusive short chirp, that I seem to have heard around there often. Or, some other birds were chirping, that I couldn't see. And it seemed he sure liked those dandelion tops too!

I also was lucky enough for the resident Red Tailed hawk to fly out and come closer later on before I left, and went to a perch on top of a pole, no doubt looking for lunch or dinner in the field. I could hear a catbird calling as I walked along; heard and saw some crows as usual, but they they weren't too close-by or intrusive. A healing and welcomingly quiet afternoon for me, with an overcast sky-that I was very glad of, to be not so hot under the baking Summer's sun.

It was just such a treat to be out in nature again for a hot weather recluse, with a bad case of cabin fever, just in time before I went completely nuts! Wow, nature is amazing in grounding you and giving pleasure with all its diversity and beauty, even in the weeds and wild grasses and flowers that I love so much seeing, even by the side of a railroad track scrub land! It's alive....!

Happy trails to you guys too!

I guess the bird world is slowing down after breeding season, now that Autumn is approaching (OK, it's here officially, but it doesn't look or feel it here), there are less birds in the bushes and trees, am I right? I managed to chew through my straps once again, and managed another outing (twice in one month no less!), and found even less bird activity than last time I was out. I took my trusty and light Sightron BSII 8x32's; hanging from my neck, while I tromped around, they didn't burden me at all.

The temps were again down a bit, as was the humidity forecast, but since I chose to go to a new place I had wanted to walk for a while now, I hadn't considered what a relatively enclosed area like a dirt trail in medium heavy woods would feel like, and following a small creek after one of the rainiest months in many Summers (4th wettest in local SE PA history apparently). Like a darned rain forest, or tropical island! ; ) I even thought I heard something that sounded like a jungle bird, I swear! The first thing I did was to roll up my dew rag into a sweat band, ala Cochise! That made me feel more at home in the woods, so I went with the feeling! But total bird sightings-1! A noisy Bluejay, that I got to look at through my bins for all of about 10 seconds! It was pretty dark in there, and hard to find any birds I did hear. Good thing I wasn't only out to find birds! I always look for arrowheads, or stone tools, or any evidence of past residents, any live creatures (yes, I saw more frogs than birds!), and any interesting trees, flowers, or flora. Oh, and yes, those tiny bird-like creatures that were all too abundant this time-the mosquitos!!! On the way out, after I thought I had enough standing and walking for me, I did see a nice wild grass (one of my favorite things), and also some mushrooms that were different and new to me. I also was rudely reminded of my suburban location from the weedtrimmers and blowers of 2 different lawn crews of the adjacent townhome community while I was there, not the worst, I'm sure, but unpleasant hearing the intrusion into my quiet time, and even smelling the gasoline down in the ravine of the creek. And the last crew was finishing up by my car, where I had parked, just before I left, which didn't make me too happy either at the time. A Catbird did escort me out though, even if I couldn't see him as I walked back to the regular blacktop path that veers off on the way that most people take. I don't know if Catbirds are social or territorial, but they always seem to be about when I am taking a solo walk on the woods.

But all in all, at least I was able to get out and be in nature for a change again, even though birds weren't the attraction this time, but just nature, and getting mud on my sneakers again! I almost lost my rubber tip on my hiking cane a couple of times too-due to the muck near the creek! Luckily, I could retrieve it both times! I want to go back-when it really cools down, and I will wear some rubber boots next time! I'll also take a bag for mushrooms, if I can find any then. I hope you all are getting out and in nature-it's too good to miss on a regular basis! Even though I may pay for it after, I still feel great being there-and that feeling lasts a good while after. If you take pictures you can bring it all back with you to see again too! Oh, and I found a 3-1/2 lobed 4 leaf clover as I was cleaning my sneakers off! They must be rarer than the 4 lobed version, right?! I left on the cemetary wall (entrance to the path) where I stopped to look through the Blue Sky II's at a possible bird on a telegraph wire-not so, just some man made device! Without my glasses, it looked like it could have been a hawk! Oh well-maybe next time I will actually see some birds (plural)!

Get out there and have a blast!

Travelling with S and Z

Two precious weeks of annual leave afforded the opportunity to do something other than my usual weekend stints - in particular, a visit to the Canary Islands in which roughly 22h 40min was spent scanning for falcons. We also saw most of the other birds of the cliffs - ravens, red-billed choughs, kestrels, buzzards, rock doves and so on. Searching the rugged and often unfamiliar landscape was challenging but interesting but on occasion very rewarding. The highlight of the trip happened late on the afternoon of the 8th when I just happened (by sheer dumb luck) to be looking down the valley when a fast-moving bird skimmed over the top of the ridge and came flying past us, close to the ground in the manner of some of the pigeons we had seen flying downhill, but larger, stouter and longer-winged. The female Barbary turned out over the valley shortly after going past us. She was a little below us, lit up fully in the setting sun and close enough to us so that her enthralled audience of two had (in 8x and 8.5x) a magnificent close-up view of her, the best view I have ever had - and if it were the best I would ever have, I would be satisfied with that - of a Barbary. As she went past the first time her powerful build and rapid flight were very apparent and as she turned the sun lit up her back and the upper sides of her wings so that even the arrowhead markings on their greyish background could be seen. The rufous colour of her head showed clearly in the afternoon light and even her dark eyes could be seen in detail. She winged rapidly over to the other side of the valley with the smaller birds lower on the slope calling in alarm, then flew back and forth as though trying to spook some of the pigeons that had settled there to roost into flight. She finally began flying westwards, keeping low to the valley slope and becoming very difficult to follow thanks to the combination of distance, difficult background and veiling glare. I lost her about seven minutes after our initial sighting.

During this trip I had the opportunity to use and compare a Zeiss 8x32 FL (older green model) alongside my brother's 8.5x42 Swarovision Field Pro. This was the longest trip I had spent with the plastic alpha; much though I enjoy using my classic porros, on a trip like this you really need something that lets you come off and go to your binoculars instantly, without removing glasses, as well as the best optical performance you can buy.

Ergonomically I found the FL package was really excellent - very light, handy and steady in hand, with all controls, from focus wheel to eyecups, positive and a pleasure to use. The only negative my brother noted was that the shortness of the binocular sometimes made him drop his fifth finger in front of the objectives. The 8.5x42SV.FP was also a pleasure to use, its handling recalling the great Zeiss classics of the past, but inevitably bulkier and heavier. In my brother's words - "Whenever I go walking around with binoculars I remember why people like 32s."

Optically both these binoculars did what they were required to do - all the birds spotted first by one, even at some considerable distance, were picked out by the other. Delving further into nitnoid territory proved a very interesting study in what a 42 gives you compared to a 32. The 42 was better at managing veiling glare, with more detail seen under comparable conditions (though still susceptible to it - it would have been very interesting to try a binocular acknowledged as being well-baffled in these circumstances). In low light the larger objectives also resulted in slightly - but noticeably - more detail being shown. It afforded a noticeably more relaxed view and easier eye placement, probably due to the combination of larger exit pupil and the entire image seeming sharp, which amply compensated for its tighter field of view on paper. The FL image is very clean and bright and was acknowledged by both of us as being excellent when in perfect focus, but fiddly, especially over longer stints where eye fatigue from prolonged scanning was an issue (I deal with this by making small IPD adjustments to put the image into less tired areas of my eyes). I found myself constantly seeking to tweak out the superb sharpness this binocular had showed me it could deliver (this also gives the impression that depth of field is not as great as some other 8s which may, however, fall short of the FL's ultimate sharpness), and eye placement also needed to be precise, the sweet spot in particular diminishing greatly if eye placement was not right. In this respect the FL seems to me to be the spiritual successor of the 8x30 Oberkochen porro I own and am very familiar with - another, if anything even more wonderfully compact binocular for which I also found eye placement fiddly till I became accustomed to it (using it without glasses as I have to do also permits putting the binocular to my eyes more steadily).

In summation - the FL is a superb, sweet handling, lightweight package with great optical qualities which do, however, often require some work from the person behind the glass to show its undeniably superb best. The Swarovision is really a different beast. It has the advantages that larger overall and objective size and length allow a binocular to achieve, and as far as the field flatteners are concerned...bokeh looks great in photos, but for images seen through binoculars, this particular user finds having the "sweet spot" encompass virtually the entirety of the image to work very well for him. I do not, for a number of reasons including cost, own one, but am fortunate to have it as the reference point to which I compare all other birding binoculars.

I attach a couple of photos.

Attachments

• IMG_20181009_154210_02.JPG
    IMG_20181009_154210_02.JPG
    204.6 KB · Views: 37
  • 20181009_181302_01.JPG
    20181009_181302_01.JPG
    147.4 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20181008_183401.jpg
    IMG_20181008_183401.jpg
    343.2 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20181008_183140.jpg
    IMG_20181008_183140.jpg
    333.1 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20181008_183438.jpg
    IMG_20181008_183438.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Great story Patudo and from the look of the portrait format pic, you probably got wet!

The Swaro's ability to pick out slightly more detail was probably down to the slightly greater magnification, I would think. Well done with the Barbary Falcon!

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back