• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Great-spotted Woodpecker and Parekeet (1 Viewer)

Andy1979

Hi all,

I was chatting to someone this weekend who witnessed some odd bird behaviour. She has watched Great-spotted Woodpeckers in her garden feeding their young from the bird feeder. But for a very short period, she observed the adult Woodpecker feeding a young Ring-necked Parakeet by taking food from the bird feeder. The parakeet was not in a nest, and must have already fledged from somewhere...

The only theory I have been able to come up with is that a Parakeet laid and egg or eggs in the Woodpecker nest then left (Cuckoo style) but I have not heard of this before.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Andy M

A common phenomena with wildfowl is laying of some eggs in other species nests (referred to as egg dumping). This is believed to be a security measure against predation of their own nests and ensures at least some survival from a clutch.

It is likely perhaps that this also leads to the high levels of hybridization in ducks as when the chicks hatch they will become imprinted on the host parent and hence choose a mate from that species.

On this thought, does anyone know if this happens with cuckoos? Ie do the offspring imprint and then use the same host species as the nest they were hatched in? I have read somewhere that female cuckoos always use the same host species but not sue if this is correct

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back