• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tripod recommendation for Vanguard Endeavor EDs (1 Viewer)

RoadsterGirlie

Greetings all. Some you may remember I bought a pair of Vanguards a few weeks ago that have gotten now daily use. I love these things and they go everywhere with me.

For my birthday, my husband bought me an iphone camera adapter to take pictures. While playing around with it, we discovered ideal in order to use this, I'll probably need a tripod.

Ideally I'd like something that will allow me to move the binocs around while on the tripod, giving me more freedom of where to look, so it can be used flexibly with or without the camera adapter.

At a glance, it looks like I'll need both a tripod and a tripod mount for the binocs. The tripod mounts that I'm finding look to be static, so I'm not sure what the options are. I did find one that's mobile but at $150 that's out of my price range. I'd like to spend under $60 for the entire thing if possible.

Thanks in advance!

If you look for a page on Facebook called "phonescoping" (all one word) it's a public group with 630 members. They are all very knowledgeable and will be able to help you out. I used to be a member until I binned Facebook. That hobby got me into binoculars and nature observation. I currently use a velbon ef-61 tripod with L bracket binocular tripod adapter. This setup is only good for stills as the pan head on my tripod isnt a fluid one so i get jittery images if i try to video. My avatar was taken with a home made adapter and my old 10x50 porros. I think it's great the potential a smartphone can unlock when paired up with binoculars. Anyway, I'm not sure if I've been very helpfull but if you have any more questions I shall see if I can help.

I haven't used my Vanguard ED's on a tripod yet (don't have the adapter yet), but I think it will depend on what weight you are willing to carry afield. But the Vanguard adapter would be a good place to start, and find an easily transportable weight you can manage-you might just want carbon fiber, or thinwall aluminum possibly.

I like my ED's, and don't feel I need the tripod, though I imagine they would be even better for the extra patience needed to use them afield. I hope you find some that are best for you. Sorry I can't add to the suggestions, as mine are heavy-weight aluminum.

Thanks guys. The only reason I’m considering a tripod is due to phone adapter. It’s a neat concept but I think it’ll work better if I don’t have to worry about messing with both that and stabilizing the binoculars. I really just wanted to make sure what I was buying would be compatible together. So far I’ve found that most standard tripods will work with most standard binocular mounts so I think I got it covered. I ordered both on amazon and it’ll be here Sunday. I’ll let you guys know.

If you have any questions, as a forum supporting sponsor, feel free to call me. You mentioned flexible. Joby makes the gorillapod that is flexible and can be wrapped around a pole, branch, etc or used as a "traditional" tripod.
Joel
Camera Land
516-217-1000

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back