• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cockatoos and other hookbills (1 Viewer)

mdwfolsom1

I'm planning a trip to Australia next August and one of the big reasons I'm going is for the cockatoos and other hook bills native to Australia. I plan to stay for a couple weeks in Port Douglas and the Brisbane area. Are these areas good for what I hope to see? Any suggestions of other areas to visit or particular spots near these two spots. We will be renting a car, so we will be doing day trips.

Never heard a birder call them hook bills, and I'm not sure exactly which parrot species would fall under the aviculturalist 'hook bill' term.

Sticking with Cockatoos, and the likelihood of seeing them where you plan to be.

Australia has 14 species:

1) Palm Cockatoo - no chance in Pt Douglas or Brisbane - Cape York only, further north. They are uncommon
2) Red-tailed Black-cockatoo - should be possible
3) Glossy Black-cockatoo - uncommon but possible around Brisbane - Conondale Ranges and Lamington national park north and south of Brisbane worth a shot
4) Yellow-tailed Black-cockatoo - should be possible around Brisbane
5 & 6) Carnaby's and Baudin's Black-cockatoo - no chance, South-west Western Australia only
7) Gang-gang Cockatoo - no chance, temperate forests of coastal New South Wales and Victoria
8) Major Mitchell's Cockatoo - no chance, arid zone only much further inland
9) Galah - ubiquitous should see easily
10) Cockatiel - widely distributed across arid country, unlikely but possible near Brisbane
11) Long-billed Corella - some feral flocks around Brisbane I believe
12) Western Corella - no chance, south western Western Australia only
13) Little Corella - should be possible near Brisbane and near Port Douglas (2 different subspecies in these locations)
14) Sulphur-crested Cockatoo -ubiquitous should see easily

Thank you for the great information! Maybe the term hook bill is used more in the U.S. I was referring to any of the parrot type birds (Rosella's, Eclectus, King Parrot, etc). Thanks again for the information.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back