• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best camcorder? (1 Viewer)

Dave Hawkins

Dear diary, what a day it's been...
Can anybody recommend the best current model digital camcorder for birding trip use? I would like it to be reasonably compact, with decent quality optical zoom, image stabilised with a good battery life. If it digiscopes (to a Kowa 883) all well and good but not essential. Maximum price £500.

Many thanks for your help :t:

Dave Hawkins

Mini camcorder ...

If you start looking at Canon cameras, take a look at the Official Canon E-Bay Outlet. I picked up a nice (refurbed) handy-camcorder there for £70 recently, saving well over £150. The models offered vary from time to time - and it's an auction, so prices are variable .....

A

I'm taking my newly purchased Panasonic SR H20 to Costa Rica next week so if you can wait 3 - 4 weeks I'll let you know how it performs.

About £190.00 at the moment, 32 x optical zoom, stupid digital zoom magnification. 30 gig Hard disk giving 7 hours recording at best quality filming. Also takes SD HC cards, I'm taking an additional 3 x 4gb cards - just in case - at about 50 mins per card at best quality. Also got image stabilizer and colour filming option for low light (not total darkness)

Steve

At the moment there isn't such a thing as a 'best wildlife videocamera', at least not if compact size and cost are brought into the equation.

High def cameras offer the best quality picture - but don't come with high optical zooms, unless you are willing to fork out for the prosumer models, which cost several grand and aren't exactly compact.

Take your pick. High zoom, low(er) resolution SD or High resolution, low zoom HD...

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back