• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swedish trip Ideas (June /July) (1 Viewer)

Eos9

United Kingdom
I am hoping to visit Sweden for approx 7-10 days in late June / July but cannot find a lot of information ( or books ) to suggest a good area or sites to visit at that time of year.
I am more interested in trying to find sites where I can get some good photographs than purely seeing lots of different species.
Obviously sites that offer good photographic opportunities for some of the birds special to Sweden would offer great appeal.
I shall initially be spending several days around Eskilstuna but am free to travel to other areas within say a 6/7 hr drive.
With this in mind I would very much appreciate any suggestions as to the best area (and sites ) to visit at this particular time of year bearing in mind photography is the primary objective.
Any recommendations regarding a decent book on sites to visit would also be appreciated ( I would prefer English but as my partner is Swedish this would also be Ok )

Any help or advice much appreciated.

On the west side of Eskilstuna you have a small, accessible wetland called Ekeby våtmark. On the other side (north) of lake Mälaren there's a great place called Asköviken. 70 kilometers to the west, outside of Örebro in the western part of lake Hjälmaren, there's several intersting areas.

And that's just for starters, welcome to Sweden!

Thanks for your reply and your suggestions for sites near Eskilstuna. It just so happens that I have previously visited both Ekeby vatmark and Askoviken on my last visit to Sweden and agree both sites are extremely good.
My partners mother lives within walking distance of Ekeby vatmark so this is a site I have had the pleasure in visiting several times already.
On this occasion however I am wanting to visit an area of Sweden I haven't explored before so was looking for good sites within a maximum of maybe 4-5 hours away from Eskilstuna.
I'm sure there are many good sites and birds to be seen but I am not sure which area of Sweden would offer me the best opportunities for photography etc so any advice regarding this would be much appreciated.

Right, a few more tips then. Between Enköping and Uppsala you have Hjälstaviken with good walks in reeds. Hornborgasjön between lakes Vänern and Vättern is famous for cranes in spring but have very good sites in summer too. On the extreme limit of your range you can reach Öland, always a good place to go for birds. In the other direction you can reach Varberg with Getterön, also a prime birding site, although distances are longer. Don't forget the areas west of Örebro, I've had some very good trips myself in that area.

Last edited:
Hi - Thanks very much for the feedback which has been very useful.
At the moment we are looking at maybe an additional 3 nights in the Oland area which I hope will still be worth visiting in July.
At the moment I am still trying to pinpoint specific sites to visit in that area especially if they might offer good chances for photography.
I would obviously like to see some of Swedens 'specialities' as it were or at least those that are less common in Southern England.
I have suggested my girlfriend maybe contacts the Oland Bird Observatory as they might be able to help in this respect.
We still have approx 3 weeks before our trip so hopefully we will have some ideas in place before then.
Once again Thanks for your comments and feedback - much appreciated.

Right, a few more tips then. Between Enköping and Uppsala you have Hjälstaviken with good walks in reeds. Hornborgasjön between lakes Vänern and Vättern is famous for cranes in spring but have very good sites in summer too. On the extreme limit of your range you can reach Öland, always a good place to go for birds. In the other direction you can reach Varberg with Getterön, also a prime birding site, although distances are longer. Don't forget the areas west of Örebro, I've had some very good trips myself in that area.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back