• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Review of 8x25 Victory Pocket (2 Viewers)

I use the straps from my old Leica Trinovid 8x20, essentially tubular shoestrings with a compact YKK quick-release buckle on the ends. Very compact, yet sturdy enough.

Lee,

- Marks on the diopter dial would not remove functionality. Of course in your defense of Zeiss you could say that it would be impossible to decide a color for such marks, but white is considered conventional.
- $.10 ocular and objective caps in the box would be really helpful for transport. It's a convention in optics that lens protections are ALWAYS part of the package, minimalistic maybe but always supplied so the user can then decide if he needs them and purchase a spare or better if really needed.
- a mini bino buy usually means a mini case, by default, as buyers of a very small instrument are presumably motivated by size. A monster case for a mini bino is plain wierd.
- So many people are complaining about the eyecups now that it seems improbable that some of the beta testers didn't file reports that were then discarded. Note that even on the SF42 new eyecups have been made available, so yes, change is possible. And yes, although various users have different IPDs and required eye relief, expectation is that reasonable effort will be made to accomodate them.

As I said, I would expect the Zeiss product managers to read this forum and maybe at least order up a batch of better eyecups eg. with a two stage telescopic extension, or just longer replacements, they can sell the affected users for $20 or something. Even the trick that I use of ungluing the eyecup rubber to extend the eyecup could probably be made an engineered "feature".

In the camera and video world functionality is routinely added by releasing hardware accessories or firmware upgrades. The point of view that a product's functionality is set in stone at the date of release is outdated.

Edmund

I wouldn't disagree with most of this Edmund which is why I didn't comment on the dioptre or eyecup issue.

Lee

Indeed. I used white paint to mark the position that fits my eyes. I do not understand why they did this. Even my 20 years old 8x20 Trinovid are better: no lock but some marks at least.

And when I put the binoculars in my pocket, it would prevent them from accumulating dust or worse.

On top of this binoculars, I bought a better, smaller case, an Optech strap, an Opticron rainguard and I am looking for convenient lens caps.
Except for a small case, my SF 8x32 came with everything so I find it hard to understand why the 8x25 should be different.

I tested a set of Opticron objective covers which fit very well on the VP without modification, better than the Vortex. Go to the Opticron link posted by paddy7 in post #488. Opticron Part number 31041 is a perfectly snug fit and the 1mm larger 31030 might work as well for a slightly looser fit if desired.

On the Opticron rainguard if desired you can carefully cut off all the strap attachment lugs except the one you use with small sharp scissors. With a pair of small sharp wire cutters you also can trim down the standing studs on the bridge/ connector to make it more compact and flexible.

Mike

Crossposting:
-------------
Today I saw a moon crescent, and faintly the rest of the disk.
Jupiter.
Saturn.

All of these handheld with a Zeiss Pocket 8x25 from the brightly lit Place Charles de Gaulle in Paris.
--------
Just so people know that I don't only say bad things about the Pocket, which has superb portable optics, and often "goes with".

Edmund

I’d say Place de l’Étoile is probably one of the worst possible locations in terms of light pollution...

And I would completely agree with you.

An interesting example of how seizing an unexpected occasion with a pocket instrument gives a pleasant moment of observation. I don’t think I ever saw the dark moon disk ever before with binoculars.

I guess I should have gone to the top of the Arc de Triomphe and observed from there.

Edmund

Last edited:
On the Opticron rainguard if desired you can carefully cut off all the strap attachment lugs except the one you use with small sharp scissors. With a pair of small sharp wire cutters you also can trim down the standing studs on the bridge/ connector to make it more compact and flexible.

Mike

Interesting. Do you have some pictures you could share? I did cut off some unused attachment lugs from mine, but was wondering about the best way to make them more flexible. Does trimming down the standing stubs really make them considerably more flexible, easier to bend and fold the binoculars as compact as possible with the rainguard on?

In the meanwhile, I’m still dubitative regarding how to best store this pocket binocular in a compact way (which should be the main advantage of 8x20-25mm binoculars, not the fact that they are small pnce opened and hanging around your neck): it is really a great little binocular, lightweight, great optics, small etc. , but not that small in the original Zeiss case and all other cases I seem to find either don’t protect well or they don’t have a significant size gain compared to the Zeiss case, being less large, but thicker to accomodate the Zeiss once folded. I would really love for Zeiss to make a hard case that suits the binoculars (and some rainguard + rain cover) once folded... They used to make some plastic hard case for one of its (smaller) predecessors and should consider a silikar approach for the current 8x25, I think.

Interesting. Do you have some pictures you could share? I did cut off some unused attachment lugs from mine, but was wondering about the best way to make them more flexible. Does trimming down the standing stubs really make them considerably more flexible, easier to bend and fold the binoculars as compact as possible with the rainguard on?

In the meanwhile, I’m still dubitative regarding how to best store this pocket binocular in a compact way (which should be the main advantage of 8x20-25mm binoculars, not the fact that they are small pnce opened and hanging around your neck): it is really a great little binocular, lightweight, great optics, small etc. , but not that small in the original Zeiss case and all other cases I seem to find either don’t protect well or they don’t have a significant size gain compared to the Zeiss case, being less large, but thicker to accomodate the Zeiss once folded. I would really love for Zeiss to make a hard case that suits the binoculars (and some rainguard + rain cover) once folded... They used to make some plastic hard case for one of its (smaller) predecessors and should consider a silikar approach for the current 8x25, I think.

I've had some trouble posting a reply - will try to take helpful pictures later. In the meantime, yes trimming down the studs makes the guard more flexible and more compact. I use one modified like that on another pocket and briefly experimented with it on the VP. It works perfectly well. With your guard on fold the VP completely and see how much you need to trim from the studs. I cut mine down @ 60 -75%. The more you cut off the more flexible it becomes.

Definitely a keeper! I used them extensively over two weekends. Woodlands, fields, long all day walks, and sea-watching (brief scans in between the scope).
so light, my back has never been in better shape!
Coming from Leica Duovids, and Leica trinovids before that.
I'm finding I'm scanning distant fields and hedges more cos they are so sharp, I know I'll see things if they are there.
Also, now I'm familiar with the focussing wheel, I'm subconsciously focusing on the way to my eyes, then leaving them back at the same default position for the next time.

I'll see you all in 5 years lol!

Hi to from Italy.
I am preparing a review of the two Zeiss compact binoculars. For now you can see the unboxing video of the Zeiss Terra ED Pocket and the Zeiss Victory Pocket. To translate the subtitles you must enable subtitles on the video, in the original language of the video. To translate, click on the gear icon at the bottom right of the player, and click on the items "Subtitles"- "Automatic translation" and then choose your language.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbMg6BK9Y5g?sub_confirmation=1

Kind Regards
Piergiovanni

Attachments

• copertina.jpg
    copertina.jpg
    286.3 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Counterintuitively perhaps, I find that totally removing the rubber eyecups seriously improves the view. Don't know why.

Edmund

Hi to from Italy.
I am preparing a review of the two Zeiss compact binoculars. For now you can see the unboxing video of the Zeiss Terra ED Pocket and the Zeiss Victory Pocket. To translate the subtitles you must enable subtitles on the video, in the original language of the video. To translate, click on the gear icon at the bottom right of the player, and click on the items "Subtitles"- "Automatic translation" and then choose your language.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbMg6BK9Y5g?sub_confirmation=1

Kind Regards
Piergiovanni
We know who is going to win that battle. Just for fun why not throw an underdog Canon 8x20 IS in the mix to see how a conventional compact compares to an IS compact.

Counterintuitively perhaps, I find that totally removing the rubber eyecups seriously improves the view. Don't know why.

Edmund

I know i've posted this before, but can't remember when or where, but - with almost all the 30mm and below bins i've used - i keep the eyecups retracted (particularly the EII 8x30 and the Zeiss Pocket). I don't wear glasses, but just find the view a bit more marvellous that way, and it really is no problem to hold the bins in the right place. They're not exactly bricks.
The only time i might find this tricky is when looking up, but with the Pocket, i just extend the cups at those times.

I picked up two of these, one for me and my wife. While my wife will be sticking with her FL 7x42s, I find this a very convincing instrument. Save for its inherent limitations in lowlight, I agree that it stands up to a lot of alphas out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back