• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hawk (?), Panama (1 Viewer)

michalb

Poland
Another bird I couldn't id at Finca Lerida coffee plantation. This time the only photo I have is much worse, but maybe someone can help with the id. I found birds of prey very difficult to id during this trip.

This hawk (?) was soaring over the coffee plantation and nearby cloud forest, it could be quite big, as the other bird in the photo is, if I recall correctly (and my notes too), a Black Vulture (Coragyps atratus). The perspective can be of course misleading, but anyway I think it was a quite large raptor. The very prominent white stripe on the tail seems to narrow the choice to a few species, but I can't nail it.

Looking forward to any comments!

Michał

Location: Finca Lerida coffee plantation, eastern slopes of Baru volcano near Boquete, Panama
Date: 3.01.2020

Attachments

• myszołów Finca.JPG
    myszołów Finca.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 76
Broad-winged Hawk for sure.

The heavy upper chest markings and strong tail pattern suggest adult to me, but the obvious primary wing panels might mean it's a subadult. Either way, it's certainly a light morph Broadwing. In addition to dark morphs being very rare, they would appear much darker on the whole body and underwing coverts.

Broad-winged Hawk for sure.

The heavy upper chest markings and strong tail pattern suggest adult to me, but the obvious primary wing panels might mean it's a subadult. Either way, it's certainly a light morph Broadwing. In addition to dark morphs being very rare, they would appear much darker on the whole body and underwing coverts.

True; as a rule of thumb, a white vent to a median sized raptor in the WP always applies to a light bird or morph (regardless of species) In the Nearctic this applies less well (Snail Kite; Swainson's Hawk..)

Thanks all! Broad-winged Hawk was one of many I suspected, but in "Birds of Panama" only the light morph is illustrated, and it looks rather significantly different than the bird in the picture. I guess the New World Buteos can be as variable as those here in Europe, so that was probably a "darker form of light morph" ;) Anyway a lifer for me, thanks again!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back