• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2020 (1 Viewer)

The new Birds of Mallorca is still only available in the UK via NHBC at £34 + p&p, so, while I’m waiting for a less expensive option I’ve found this to feed my Mallorca needs! (A very positive foreword by Michael someone or other). It’s very good.

Hi Stew

I shall wait, too.

Just read here (https://www.majorcadailybulletin.co...020/02/08/62379/birding-pioneers-majorca.html) that in April the author of the book you've found will be doing a talk and a book launch at La Gola for his new book which is "the most up to date and comprehensive bird watching book written for Majorca".

Did you get your copy from NHBS? It's the only place I've seen it advertised.

Martin

Last edited:
Hi Stew

I shall wait, too.

Just read here (https://www.majorcadailybulletin.co...020/02/08/62379/birding-pioneers-majorca.html) that in April the author of the book you've found will be doing a talk and a book launch at La Gola for his new book which is "the most up to date and comprehensive bird watching book written for Majorca".

Did you get your copy from NHBS? It's the only place I've seen it advertised.

Martin

Hi Martin,

Yes, I came across it on the NHBS website when I was trying to track down the new Birds of Mallorca. It took ages to arrive, but that’s probably down to the difficulties raised by COVID-19, which (understandably) is slowing down just about everything.

I have to say that I am enjoying reading it - it’s a good and up to date summary of sites and species, with a little bit of history thrown in here and there. (I had no idea, for instance, that the Bocquer holds the remains of a Talaiotic village, whose dwellers were the skilful slingers who launched stones in battles involving both Carthaginians and Romans. A new perspective to take with me on my next visit!).

Who knows when we’ll next be able to visit? The author’s talk in April won’t be happening, and I’ve abandoned hope for late June. Maybe later in the year perhaps. All very sad, but of little consequence in the great scheme of things I guess.

I hope that Mike and all our Mallorca birding and natural history friends stay sane (and our UK ones come to that). Take care everyone.

Stew

SEVENTEEN SPRINGS- EPISODE 6- 20TH-26TH APRIL 2003
HEALTH SHOP'S SCOPS
Sunday morning and this time we managed to get to church on time, followed by lunch at the Joker and a foray to Postage Stamp Wood where there was another Great Reed Warbler in atypical habitat, as is sometimes also the case with the smaller ordinary Reed Warbler. It was a lovely day with clear skies and later in the afternoon thousands of Common Swifts were over the town- a magnificent sight.
On the Monday we got our car- back with the lady from Hiper, and this time had a far more suitable Zafira. As we finished the paperwork and went out to the car park a flock of a dozen Bee-eaters were calling and circling round the trees- seen as well as heard which was the more usual way of establishing their presence.. I was trying to visit some more places from Graham Hearl's book, so this time it was Arta with its maze of narrow streets which if you chose the right ones eventually led to the road to the Ermita de Betlem, via the hilltop with massive views N over the bays of Alcudia and Pollensa. We returned downhill to navigate to Cala Ratjada and the Cap where we lunched under the lighthouse and I saw Balearic Shearwater for the first time, plus loads of Scopoli's- the difference in size and flight patterns making distinction quite easy.
Tuesday 22nd and Susan and I had our day on our own- and first to Petra for a hot chocolate in the square surrounded by cyclists. Then to the beautiful manor house of Es Calderers which is worth a visit at any time. I had to be patient bot at last we got to the renamed Salobrar de Campos (ex Salinas de Levante) and together with loads of good waders there were 2 Black Storks circling, and a flock of about 10 Gull-billed Terns- the storks the only ones seen in the 17 springs. In the evening a hunt tracked down the Scops Owls to somewhere near the Guardia Civil but not their exact location.
THe Wednesday was in-laws choice of venues, and they chose Barcares (just beyond Albufereta an the left0, followed by the Mirador and then Cala St Vicenc. Not great birding interest, but the evening was great as the Scops nest site was revealed to be a ventilator on the side of the Farmacia on the sea front, but with better views from the street behind- crowd 19 persons.
Thursday was a bit of a rest day, so I stayed at the hotel, watching from the balcony as most of the local raptors including Black Vulture put in an appearance. Friday was the last full day and basically was a trip to the Boquer where I saw a Whitethroat- the only one in all the springs, and a lovely male Black-eared Wheatear about halfway along the valley. You will have noticed that i went to the Boquer a lot and it still remains my favourite place- we could not have a car all the time so on many days it was walking to the Boquer that gave the main chance of seeing good birds.
Saturday was travel home day, and as the coach passed near Albufereta an Eleanora,s Falcon glided past- a fitting end to a holiday with a great room, great weather and my biggest bird list of the 17 springs with 117 species seen and one heard. The key to my amassing a good list was a late Easter again, plus a trip to the south of the island- in later years my wife's health deteriorated and the south was out of reach......

Quite a good start to the day with a Great skua before 8am going north up the coast, then it, or another, came down the coast just before 8pm.
I also saw three Pallid swift, my first this year.
Sadly, I saw nothing in between!
It seems the migrating raptors come into the Island in different places, according to the wind direction I guess.
I have only had one good day for raptors since the lockdown when there had been strong easterlies.
Raptors were seen at other locations today with 12 Marsh harriers, 8 Booted eagles, 3 Black Kite, 1 Hobby and a Montagu’s Harrier.
Thanks to the Mallorca Raptor Watch.
I logged over 1,000 Balearic shearwaters going south, there were more but I had a break for supper.
Tomorrow I will count the Scopoli’s which were also abundant this evening.
At 8pm many residents come out onto their balconies to clap and cheer the medical staff here. It’s very moving.
Mike

Another good start today with two Pallid Swift, 2 Alpine Swift, and 2 Heron species. A short time later, Maties reported two Grey heron on migration so possibly the same birds.
Because of sightings like this, we are able to map possible migration routes across the island which has again added to our knowledge.
I also saw a Great skua going north first thing and a male Marsh Harrier flying low to the north as well.
My usual lull here now during the middle of the day, the south-east is deadly quiet during the day.
Ah well, Sunday lunch and a siesta sounds good to me.
More news later.
Mike

I always knew that if I stared at the sea long enough, eventually something rare would turn up.
Since Lockdown, I have seawatched every morning from first light and again every evening.
I can only see a small window of sea from my balcony, in between the pine trees and houses.
I’m normally at the lighthouse for seawatching where I am not only closer, but I can scan a large portion of the horizon.
I only get between six and twelve seconds worth of bird as well.
I was determined to count all the shearwaters tonight and I had got to just over one thousand mixed species when I saw a bird following on behind a long stream of fast moving Balearic shearwaters. I knew immediately it was a species of skua.
It was clearly smaller than Great skua which I have seen most days recently and I have seen enough Arctic and Pomarine skuas to know that it was one of the two.
I remember sitting at Cley coastguards with an experienced seawatcher and learning about the differences between the two species.
I also remember Pomarine being deeper chested as this bird appeared to be.
I did not get enough detail to give a full description so I won’t be submitting a record.
So, another one goes on the “not sure” list. All very frustrating but I will be glued to the sea tomorrow, camera in hand.
Mike

SEVENTEEN SPRINGS- EPISODE 7- 3RD-10TH APRIL 2004
WHERE DID THAT ROAD COME FROM?
A longer drive to the Airport this time- and Stansted gets on the list, but still with Air 2000. The moment any parent dreads came after we got to the departure lounge- our younger son Samuel, now aged 3 and quick on his feet, disappeared- cue absolute panic, followed by a careful search which after the longest 10 minutes in our lives, revealed him to be staring at the players in an amusement arcade and quite unconcerned, unlike us. The flight and transfer were good, and back at the hotel we had another top floor twin-balcony room- up scope again! The Scops were calling again but not visible.
Sunday to church, and then to the foot of the Boquer- which was unrecognisable with a new dual carriageway and roundabout removing half of the field that used to be there, and a new school as well. Basically the landscape was forever changed but at least it did not totally ruin the area,and PSWood whilst being noisier was still a good place to see small migrants.. Later back at the hotel there was the other end of the by-pass near the Ullal farmhouse- and to be fair this new road had been on the cards for some time,and it certainly eased the through traffic to Formentor by keeping it out of the town centre. The road was not yet open, but close to being so, and was well used by walkers and joggers to begin with. Crossbills were visible near the Guardia Civil that afternoon, and in the evening there were good views of the pair of Scops Owls near the Farmacia.
Monday was us wandering slowly to the Boquer and we again somehow managed to get the pushchair to the end. The BWarblers were there, plus Wryneck, Egyptian Vulture and a few migrants such as Whinchat. The Scops showed briefly an a very cold evening at the Farmacia.
Tuesday was just a beach day and i was on sandcastle duty so not much bird interest. Wednesday, having at last learnt the lesson to avoid market days at Alcudia, we went on the bus to Albufera. The interest include a Tufted Duck, the White-headed Duck for the last time, a Spotted Crake at Bishop 1 and a Collared Pratincole. Cloud and rain were starting as we returned to the hotel, and the scope was much used a s a fishing boat came into the harbour trailed by Y-L Gulls and a few Scopoli's.
Thusday was cold and cloudy, so a local walk to the harbour and along the quay got us close to some luxury yachts- including quite a few made by our own Fairline Boats of Oundle in Northants. Susan got invited aboard one worth £1 million- and had a guided tour whilst I stayed with the boys on the quay. The guy who showed her round was paid £25000 a year to stay in an apartment on the seafront and keep the boat in tip top order for his rich bosses- a husband and wife- who would often turn up by helicopter having given him 12 hours notice of an impending voyage. Later that day the pushchair broke outside the Daina hotel- it was repaired with string but was never the same again.
Friday dawned to wind and rain, and we stayed in the room, but again there were a few Scopoli's visible in the scope out in the distant entrance to the bay- just to the right of the luxury pad used in the TV series "The Night Manager". A brief walk later showed Crossbills drinking from puddles on the sea front.
Saturday was again wet and windy, with very little about, and only a cursory view of one Owl in the evening as it flew from the nest site over our heads.(Scops are long-winged and can move very fast if they need to.......}

Nothing unusual seen on my seawatch tonight but I did see a group of ten Purple heron this morning.
I had them down as Grey heron, I just presumed they were which is a mistake.
I was so busy getting a photo I had no time to look at them.
When I downloaded the photos and tweaked the contrast and colour, I could see that they were Purple.
Quite a good number to see together.
A Kestrel also flashed by having come in-off the sea. It was so pale underneath it appeared completely white. It set the alarm bells going but it was gone in moment so definitely no photo of that one.
Otherwise it was a quiet day with not much migration.
I hope everyone is surviving the lockdown and in good health too.
Mike

Last edited:
Really enjoying these trip reports Hugh! And I'd love to have some Skuas/Purple Herons here Mike... I can see a small bit of sea about 3km away through some trees from the house, I'm determined to add Audouin's Gull to the garden list while in lockdown!

Very quiet here today until a couple of little treats this evening. Earlier a Kestrel and a Black Vulture went over along with lots of hirundines (all Swallows, Crag and House Martins).

While trying to find a distant Audouin's Gull this evening, I came upon a large group of Ravens heading west. It became clear that there was a steady stream of them, with several flocks. I counted 220, but had clearly missed the start of the movement (presumably to a roosting site), I'll see how many I can find tomorrow! Then, my new favourite bird of the lockdown so far. A small Phylloscopus briefly flew into our house at dusk, it went outside and landed in a small bush no more than two metres from me, I had assumed it was a Chiffchaff, but I was overjoyed to see it was a Wood Warbler, a first for the garden!

I hope everyone is doing well.

SEVENTEEN SPRINGS-EPISODE 8-11TH-17TH APRIL 2004
MALLORCA-FIRST CHOICE FOR BIRDING
APOLOGY TO A DEFUNCT AIRLINE- LAST NIGHT A BOARDING CARD FELL OUT OF MY DIARY- FLIGHT FCA304D TO STANSTED
So Air 2000 had changed its name by 2004 to First Choice Airways-apologies to all past employees and their friends! Sunday 11th we got to church but it turned out a very quiet day with no additions to the trip list. The next day was car pickup and the lady at Hiper distinguished herself with a brand new VW Touran in "Divine blue". Off we went towards Arta only to discover the soft suspension made my wife and eldest son carsick. Still we struggled up the hill again and got Thekla Lark and Tawny Pipit at the top. (Thekla is actually quite common in lots of habitats on the island but if you depend on a guidebook you may think it is necessary to go to one specific site. They actually occur as near to the Pollensa Park as the Llenaire Road/Cami Volantina area). At Cap Capdepera for lunch with the Shearwaters in a thunderstorm, and some Dolphins put in an appearanc- but as to the species...?? That evening the Scops were in the large tree just N of the Uyal Hotel- a tree that for many years was stared at by myself and many other birders but only brief flight glimpses ensued.
My wife had charge of the Tuesday destinations although a stop on the way at Cuber got my Black Vulture trip tick...and the helicopter was still practising take offs and landings on the helipad. Soller, Deia and Valldemossa followed- nice enough places but not huge bird interest, to be honest. In the evening the in-laws encouraged us to go to a slideshow about guided walks led by Richard Strutt- a professional walk leader based on the island- of which more in the succeeding years.
Strangely we went up the road to Cuber again the next day, but then on to a very pretty village named Fornalutx for lunch, and through the tunnel to Bunyola and the mountain road to Orient- a tiny village where we had ice creams and a walk in the superb scenery. Alast quick trip to the Boquer in the car netted a Subalpine Warbler and then the best views of the holiday of a pair of Scops Owls near the Farmacia.
Carless Thursday saw the family off to Formentor beach and I went via PSWood and a nice Wood Warbler to the Boquer where I showed some German birders Der Triel (Stone Curlew) as a nesting pair was distantly visible from just above the finca.
Friday was windy and warm after a stormy night, but I failed to add anything to the list for this year, which added up to 104 seen and 3 heard. The flight back was one hour late taking off but we got to Stansted and this time no children were lost.......

Fantastic surprise today, a Red-breasted Flycatcher in the garden! Seen well for about a minute before flying into the neighbour's garden. An awesome garden tick!

Also two Woodchat Shrikes (I think they're our breeding pair), a Swift over (first of the year for me), a Wryneck calling and more Swallows and House Martins. A Scops Owl has been calling every night too.

After watching nothing but distant dots for the last few weeks, I saw a very striking bird flying towards me this morning.
I knew immediately that it was a Great Spotted Cuckoo having seen two in the U.K.
It flew very close past me, and in the brilliant sunshine it was simply stunning.
I had to sit down and couldn’t put the news out for a while as I was trembling so much.
What a beautiful bird.
It was a juvenile with black cap and rusty-brown in the wings, a very distinctive bird.
To affect me that much emotionally just proves how much birds mean to me.
We are lucky people us birders.
Mike

Hi timsg80
That is a fantastic find.
If you got a photo that would be great. If not, perhaps it may appear again and you could take one?
Well done,
Mike

Thanks Mike, congratulations on the Great Spotted Cuckoo! Sadly I couldn't get a photo earlier, but I've been waiting and hoping for it to reappear, but to no avail sadly. I'll keep waiting, hopefully it will come back! Much as your emotions with the cuckoo, the Red-breasted Flycatcher and yesterday's Wood Warbler have brought so much joy!

Great bird,Mike.
They probably fly around your house regularly but you're too busy being out with us visiting birders,to see them..! ;)

Haha! Thanks Ben Nevis. I must admit that I’ve done very little birding from the balcony. The Lighthouse is nearby as is Mondragó so it’s just too tempting.
What frustrates me more than anything is that we had constant strong easterly winds a while back and if what we have found from our gardens is anything to go by, there must be lots more great birds out there, all going unseen.
Still, we are so much better off than many people so my thoughts are with them much of the time. Difficult days for so many people across the globe.
Mikes

Last edited:
After watching nothing but distant dots for the last few weeks, I saw a very striking bird flying towards me this morning.
I knew immediately that it was a Great Spotted Cuckoo having seen two in the U.K.
It flew very close past me, and in the brilliant sunshine it was simply stunning.
I had to sit down and couldn’t put the news out for a while as I was trembling so much.
What a beautiful bird.
It was a juvenile with black cap and rusty-brown in the wings, a very distinctive bird.
To affect me that much emotionally just proves how much birds mean to me.
We are lucky people us birders.
Mike

Wow Mike! A great bird , and some very small compensation for the weeks of lockdown I guess.

You’ll have to get into “nocmig”, the latest thing for locked down UK birders. It involves listening to (and for some actually recording) birds moving at and over night. I’ve added wigeon and common scoter (heard) to my garden list after waves of these species moved across the country west to east a few nights ago. It’s amazing what’s being heard - a guy down the road from me had bittern last night!

Hope you’re keeping OK.

Stew

Thanks Stew.
Wigeon and Scoter is pretty good on a garden list.
Many local birders are moon watching but it’s not something I have taken up yet.
I am out on the balcony all day every day so I’m not sure it would go down too well if I crept out at night as well.
I think some good migration has been seen, the moon is appearing very bright and full at the moment.
Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back