• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Coney Meadow and Adjoining Areas (2 Viewers)

Extremely quiet on the patch for birds at the moment - the highlight this weekend was an adult Common Gull flyover yesterday. One or two Willows among the various Warblers plus juvenile Goldcrest and most of the usual stuff - but very hard work at the moment.

Also today 2 - 3 Clouded Yellows feeding on Lucerne flowers in the adjoining ley pastures together with loads of Whites and Small Tortoiseshells. A couple of Brimstones and Common Blues also seen.

One small Grass Snake.

Loads of hirundines everywhere today - mainly Swallows and House Martins but also one or two Sand Martins.

A Hobby flew over near Porters Mill this morning, three Sparrowhawks in various places and lots of Buzzards. Also recorded were 1 Cormorant, 2 Grey Wagtails, Pied Wagtails, Kingfisher, Goldcrests, Nuthatch, Treecreeper, Common Whitethroat, Reed Warbler, Coal Tit, Blackcaps, 1 juv Willow Warbler, Chiffchaffs, Linnets, Raven, Rooks, Starlings, House Sparrows, Stock Doves, Mute Swans (2 ad + 4 juvs), Grey Herons and Reed Buntings.

Insects included Migrant Hawkers and Southern Hawkers, Speckled Woods, Small Tortoiseshells and a Hornet.

Below are photos of Swallows gathering on wires (a sure sign that the season is beginning to change) and a large dead Eel - found in grass in Coney Meadow - looks like it's been chewed by something.

Attachments

• Hirundines.jpg
    Hirundines.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 61
  • Dead Eel.jpg
    Dead Eel.jpg
    655.5 KB · Views: 70
My first Meadow Pipit of the autumn this morning between Salwarpe and Ladywood plus a Peregrine circling near Porters Mill (only the second one I've seen on the patch this year). Also seen were one Garden Warbler, 2 Lesser Whitethroats, 3 - 4 Common Whitethroats, Blackcaps, Reed Warblers, Long-tailed Tits, 2 Ravens, Sparrowhawk, Buzzards, Sand Martin, House Martins and Swallows, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Jays, Mistle Thrushes, Chiffchaffs, Coal Tits, Kingfisher, Grey Wagtails and Pied Wagtail. A Bank Vole was also seen.

A record flock of Mistle Thrushes - 28 near Salwarpe late afternoon. A few Meadow Pipits over, a juvenile Willow Warbler, a Coal Tit, 5 Buzzards, Sparrowhawk and plenty of Swallows and House Martins.

A record flock of Mistle Thrushes - 28 near Salwarpe late afternoon. A few Meadow Pipits over, a juvenile Willow Warbler, a Coal Tit, 5 Buzzards, Sparrowhawk and plenty of Swallows and House Martins.

And yet there hasnt been one at Upton Warren for nearly two months!

Dave are there many rowan trees/bushes around your place.
We used to get good numbers, ie 45 at Upton when the NM plantation was in its infancy and the rowans were ladened with berries. I will check out the few remaining trees tomorrow. B :)John

Dave are there many rowan trees/bushes around your place.
We used to get good numbers, ie 45 at Upton when the NM plantation was in its infancy and the rowans were ladened with berries. I will check out the few remaining trees tomorrow. B :)John

Not that many Rowans but plenty of other berry-bearing shrubs and trees - including lots of cherry trees.

Only 7 Mistle Thrushes seen today. The best bird was a Little Owl being mobbed by passerines at Harford Hill this morning.

Also, 1 Grass Snake and a Bank Vole.

Two Siskins over this morning - the first of the autumn. Several flocks of Meadow Pipis also - the largest flock around 30 birds. Flocks of Swallowsand House Martins over appeared to be on active migration. Mistle Thrushes still very conspicuous - 25 birds in one flock plus others in smaller groups. Also seen today were Kestrel, Buzzard, 2 Sparrowhawks, Raven, Linnets, Blackcaps, Starlings, Chiffchaffs, Kingfisher, Grey Wagtail, Goldcrests, Nuthatch, Great Spot + Green Woodpeckers, Reed Buntings, Grey Heron, Cormorant, Stock Doves and Reed Warblers. Common Whitethroat seen yesterday.

A pretty good day.

My first Snipe of the autumn this morning - flew out of one of the fields near Salwarpe. A Spotted Flycatcher along one of the hedges by the set-aside strip was the first I've seen on the patch since July. Most of the Reed Warblers seem to have departed but there was one present this morning in a field of forage maize. Still loads of hirundines present - especially around the fishing pool at Porter's Mill - mainly Swallows and House Martins but also one or two Sand Martins too. A Common Whitethroat was seen near Ladywood yesterday and still several Blackcaps and Chiffchaffs (some singing). Nine Mistle Thrushes around High Park this morning, lots of Meadow Pipits, a few Grey Wagtails and Pied Wagtails over plus various finch flocks. Male and female Kestrels seen, one Sparrowhawk and a few Buzzards. Two Coots present on the fishing pool. Four Cormorants over yesterday. The Little Egret was the first record for the patch this year.

A few photos attached.

1. A Small Copper - seen yesterday. Still a few Butterflies about, including Commas, Whites, Small Totoiseshells and Speckled Woods. Plus a few Dragons - Southern and Migrant Hawkers

2. Heartsease (Viola tricolor) - an attractive agricultural weed from which garden pansies are derived. Present around the edges of the crop fields - all the ones I found were the white variant.

3 and 4. A possible Short-winged Conehead - unfortunately the photos are terrible (overexposed and out of focus) but it can be seen the the ovipositor (shown by arrow) is curved. If it is one it is probably the first record for this area.

Attachments

• Small Copper.jpg
    Small Copper.jpg
    488.6 KB · Views: 65
  • Hartsease.jpg
    Hartsease.jpg
    291.3 KB · Views: 56
  • Conehead sp.jpg
    Conehead sp.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 69
  • Conehead.JPG
    Conehead.JPG
    350.8 KB · Views: 68
just a late post.had a small goose flying over to westwood friday night with a flock of Canada's possilbly Ross it looked right size and shape.
Been for quick walk the last 2 evenings, most of the standard birds seem to be around, 2 buzzard making a bit noise,also large numbers of jackdaw up and down salwarpe lane.only 4 martins seen up very high.Best bit today watching a spider frantic to release a wasp from its web neither very happy.

Pretty quiet on the patch this weekend.

Much fewer hirundines - just three Swallows yesterday and similar numbers today. Singing Chiifchaffs still and several Blackcaps. A flock of ~20 Meadow Pipits yesterday feeding in the fields near Salwarpe. Also seen - 2 Grey Wagtails today, 2 Snipe near New Mill Farm yesterday, Grey Heron, several Jays, Linnets, Reed Buntings, Sparrowhawks, Buzzards and good views of Kingfisher yesterday.

Attached are photos of Common Darter and a moth species - any ideas as to the id??

Attachments

• Common Darter.JPG
    Common Darter.JPG
    247.4 KB · Views: 55
  • Moth sp.jpg
    Moth sp.jpg
    270.9 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Pretty quiet on the patch this weekend.

Much fewer hirundines - just three Swallows yesterday and similar numbers today. Singing Chiifchaffs still and several Blackcaps. A flock of ~20 Meadow Pipits yesterday feeding in the fields near Salwarpe. Also seen - 2 Grey Wagtails today, 2 Snipe near New Mill Farm yesterday, Grey Heron, several Jays, Linnets, Reed Buntings, Sparrowhawks, Buzzards and good views of Kingfisher yesterday.

Attached are photos of Common Darter and a moth species - any ideas as to the id??

Mike and Des are stumped without the appropriate literature (and fuddled by the wine and beer) but suggest John S would be the quickest ID.

Fairview's garden list increased today with a female Pied Fly :t:

just some phots from the last few days.
1.few over the cuckoos nest
2.All hail the mushroom king
3.disturbed a sparrowhawk from its tea, it must have gone back no sign of the pigeon later.
4.a Coma today
5.kelly in field black gold?

Attachments

• 29,9.13 001.jpg
    29,9.13 001.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 64
  • mush.jpg
    mush.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 67
  • pigeon.jpg
    pigeon.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 68
  • coma.jpg
    coma.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 71
  • kelly.jpg
    kelly.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 72
Mike and Des are stumped without the appropriate literature (and fuddled by the wine and beer) but suggest John S would be the quickest ID.

Fairview's garden list increased today with a female Pied Fly :t:

Nice addition.

Just the one lifer so far for you and Mike I take it (Pechora)? Des probably 2 if he needed the Brown Shrike and if the Sprosser showed (?). Unlikely Rob will have added any to his list so far I guess.

Definitely better than having to go to work tomorrow, though. :t:

Nice addition.

Just the one lifer so far for you and Mike I take it (Pechora)? Des probably 2 if he needed the Brown Shrike and if the Sprosser showed (?). Unlikely Rob will have added any to his list so far I guess.

Definitely better than having to go to work tomorrow, though. :t:

Des is on two; the second being Subalpine Warbler (still discussing which race). The nightingale has shown for about 15 seconds over two days :-C

tuesday evening very windy full cloud,only note large Heron flew up from river Salwarpe in the dusk frighten the life out of me.
wed evening full cloud all very quite green woodys flying around.
tonight 18.30 to 19.25 not a cloud over coney clear skies for this hour,19 magpies flew up from same area in cow field as if disturbed by something?no sign of any Bitten or snipe .Good numbers of duck,gulls going to roost.
others blue &long tailed tits, blackbirds,robins, mallards,morhen,coot,linnet,green & G S woody,buzzard,LBBG,BHG,Herons,wood pigeon, magpie, C crow,raven,chiff chaff

Last edited:
When I said female Wheatear I should have said 'female-type'. On closer inspection (the bird was quite confiding), it was clear that it was in fact a first-winter. A few record shots are attached (photographed through my binoculars).

Also today, the first flyover Redpoll of the autumn, Siskin, Meadow Pipits, Linnets, 2 Skylarks, Grey and Pied Wagtails, Raven, Linnets, Goldcrest, Mistle Thrushes, Starlings, Bullfinch and three Chiffchaffs plus most of the usual species. Still plenty of insects too - Hornets, Commas, Speckled Woods, Whites and Common Darters, for instance.

Attachments

• Wheatear 051013.JPG
    Wheatear 051013.JPG
    168.1 KB · Views: 75
  • Wheatear Ladywood.JPG
    Wheatear Ladywood.JPG
    210.2 KB · Views: 99
  • Wheatear Ladywood 5th Oct 13.jpg
    Wheatear Ladywood 5th Oct 13.jpg
    386.1 KB · Views: 89
  • Wheatear L'wood.jpg
    Wheatear L'wood.jpg