• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fascinating ! - Applied Optics - Extreme Ultraviolet Lithography (1 Viewer)

Chosun Juan

Given to Fly
Australia - Aboriginal
I'm posting this since lots of folks here are interested in the physics of optics which underpin our humble binoculars. Here in this Integrated Circuit manufacturing process a light source far shorter than the visible spectrum is used in combination with an intricate array of reflective mirrors. :cat:
Very interesting to know what's inside the device you are reading/watching this on, and may well end up in the digital binoculars of tomorrow. Nerd out o:D

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f0gMdGrVteI

Chosun :gh:

Chosun, post 1,
Thank you for this link. I just finished reading the fascinating development history of AMSL and all the difficulties and challengies one had to face.
Some of our PhD students and staff members went to work for ASML.
Gijs van Ginkel

Chosun, post 1,
Thank you for this link. I just finished reading the fascinating development history of AMSL and all the difficulties and challengies one had to face.
Some of our PhD students and staff members went to work for ASML.
Gijs van Ginkel
That's fantastic Gijs - glad you appreciated it.
It must be very exciting for those 'youngsters' to work there.
Isn't it wonderful what the humans can do when they all play nice together :) :t:
Don't tell anyone, but I believe a certain blue badged company collaborates on this - producing mirrors with a flatness of less than a grain of Schinkenbrot bread (without the ham - green or otherwise ! :) deviation in height compared to the width of Germany !
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XeDCrlxBtTw

Impressive stuff, getting light sources with such short wavelengths held things up for quite a while. Bit more expensive that a pair of binoculars!

Peter

FWIW there is also research taking place in Terahertz Technology at the other (long) end of the light spectrum.

"Terahertz (THz) radiation is a type of light, more energetic than microwaves but less energetic than infrared light. From a physics perspective, THz light is very useful for spectroscopic investigations of a range of physical phenomena in materials. From an engineering perspective, the THz frequencies are an under-used portion of the electromagnetic spectrum and can be used for faster wireless communication and data transfer. The challenge for researchers and engineers is to overcome a lack of sources, detectors, and optics for THz light."

My son is an Assistant Professor of Physics at a University in the middle Atlantic region. In addition to teaching he is involved in research in this area.

Bob

Last edited:
Chosun, post 4,
Zeiss optics play a pivotal role in the ASML wafer steppers and it is fascinating to read how ASML had to turn Zeiss around for the production of these compounds.
Gijs van Ginkel

Thanks for posting CJ, this is terrific stuff. Light: source of life on earth, travels like a wave, arrives like a particle, makes binos possible and we are only just scratching the surface.

Lee

FWIW there is also research taking place in Terahertz Technology at the other (long) end of the light spectrum.

"Terahertz (THz) radiation is a type of light, more energetic than microwaves but less energetic than infrared light. From a physics perspective, THz light is very useful for spectroscopic investigations of a range of physical phenomena in materials. From an engineering perspective, the THz frequencies are an under-used portion of the electromagnetic spectrum and can be used for faster wireless communication and data transfer. The challenge for researchers and engineers is to overcome a lack of sources, detectors, and optics for THz light."

My son is an Assistant Professor of Physics at a University in the middle Atlantic region. In addition to teaching he is involved in research in this area.

Bob
Bob, that sounds interesting and should keep your son busy for a while ! I presume that one of the big hopes of that part of the spectrum is higher capacity short distance wireless data transfer - though I don't know how compatible that is going to be with human health ....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terahertz_radiation
I rather like this following excerpt:
"In 2009 it was discovered that the act of unpeeling adhesive tape generates non-polarized terahertz radiation, with a narrow peak at 2 THz and a broader peak at 18 THz. The mechanism of its creation is tribocharging of the adhesive tape and subsequent discharge; this was hypothesized to involve bremsstrahlung with absorption or energy density focusing during dielectric breakdown of a gas."

Last edited:
Chosun, post 4,
Zeiss optics play a pivotal role in the ASML wafer steppers and it is fascinating to read how ASML had to turn Zeiss around for the production of these compounds.
Gijs van Ginkel
Gijs, that sounds like an interesting read ! Do you have a handy link that you could share for that part of the story ? :cat:

Chosun,
When I open envelopes in the dark, there are blue light flashes from the seal being unpeeled.
I thought this was called thermoluminescence.

Is this the same thing as in your post 9?

Regards,
B.

Chsun, post 10,
The titel of the study about the history of ASMl is "De architecten van ASML" by Renee Raaijmakers, Techwatch Books, ISBN 978-90-825798-2-6
I do not know if it is translated in English, but Dutch is not difficult, I learned it as a child, so it must be "un siffle d"un centime"as the French say.
I will look if an English version is available, but that takes a little time.
Gijs van Ginkel

Chosun,
When I open envelopes in the dark, there are blue light flashes from the seal being unpeeled.
I thought this was called thermoluminescence.

Is this the same thing as in your post 9?

Regards,
B.

That's interesting Bin :cat:
I'm not a physicist, and have never come across these phenomenon so won't proffer an answer. There could be some relationship of the energies there but how it relates, and relates to envelopes, I am in the dark ! :) I started out as an engineer knowing very little and I've still got most of that left ! :-O
The closest I have come to this is when taking off clothing made from synthetic fibres in the dark and the flashes of static electricity - I must say I am now greatly looking forward to receiving my next letter which I will delay opening until it is dark !

Chsun, post 10,
The titel of the study about the history of ASMl is "De architecten van ASML" by Renee Raaijmakers, Techwatch Books, ISBN 978-90-825798-2-6
I do not know if it is translated in English, but Dutch is not difficult, I learned it as a child, so it must be "un siffle d"un centime"as the French say.
I will look if an English version is available, but that takes a little time.
Gijs van Ginkel
Thanks Gijs :t:
I seem to be lacking the necessary babel fish gene to tackle languages :cat:
There is indeed an English language translation: "ASML's Architects".
Here is a brief background on how the translated edition came to be, by the Author: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/asmls-architects-available-how-does-its-content-from-why-raaijmakers

Also Wintergreen mints emit light if you crush them... try other mint brands to see if they also perform the same. Spent an evening creating lots of little fragments.....

Peter

Bob, that sounds interesting and should keep your son busy for a while ! I presume that one of the big hopes of that part of the spectrum is higher capacity short distance wireless data transfer - though I don't know how compatible that is going to be with human health ....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terahertz_radiation
I rather like this following excerpt:
"In 2009 it was discovered that the act of unpeeling adhesive tape generates non-polarized terahertz radiation, with a narrow peak at 2 THz and a broader peak at 18 THz. The mechanism of its creation is tribocharging of the adhesive tape and subsequent discharge; this was hypothesized to involve bremsstrahlung with absorption or energy density focusing during dielectric breakdown of a gas."

CJ,

Our son will be home for Thanksgiving. I am going to bring that Adhesive Tape anecdote up with him. ;). By the way, did you see the word dielectric there in? It brings to my mind the coatings on mirrors.:smoke:

I had not thought about the effects on human health from short distance wireless transfer although I'm pretty sure it has been looked into it just never came up in our conversations. I will find out more.

Bob

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back