• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Zen Ray ZEN ED 2 Spotter in hand (1 Viewer)

Manuel,

Very nicely done. I had thought of doing the same thing with the Zen astro adapter. In my case was just going to have the machine shop remove the threads inside the adapter and instead create a smooth shaft to allow 1.25 inch astro eyepieces, with barrel, to slide directly into it. The "lock down" feature wasn't something I was extremely concerned about as I don't tend to carry the scope around with it hanging over my shoulder.

Will post more when I find a local machine shop to do the work.

Frank,,thanks...the adapter works very well...I am now thinking of getting the MCII zoom(25x-75X)or the 7465#WA 75X(75º AFOV!!!,17mm ER)....
The inside of the ZEN adapter is too small to have it machined to 1 1/4 " ,You would eat the bayonet doing so..in fact the mount has barely 1 1/4 interior diam,so a standard astro barrel would fit,but you cant attach adapters inside the mount,and slip an eyepiece too..not enough room..If you want to make an astro adapter for the ZEN,you´d need to attach it in the outside,in the collar area around the mount (as the one You mention for the Theron ,in your "Theron ..." thread).....If you make an adapter that fits inside the bayonet,The eyepiece would not be able to go in enough to reach infinity..I think

Manuel,

Thank you for the suggestion. I didn't consider that issue. I assumed there was going to be enough room once the threads were machined out.

I will have to look at that other suggestion you mentioned to see if it would be feasible.

Oh, and the Theron 25-75x zoom works nicely in the Zen Ray. With the similarity to the Nikon zoom I must assume that it would work too.

Thanks,

Frank

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back