• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Theron Saker 15-45x60mm ED spotter compared to the Nikon > 20-45x60mm Non ED Fieldsco (2 Viewers)

Well, I'm nearly ready to pull the trigger on a Celestron Regal ED65. Come hell or whitewater I will get a scope the wife can peek through with glasses and a fixed magnification eyepiece.

Well, I'm nearly ready to pull the trigger on a Celestron Regal ED65. Come hell or whitewater I will get a scope the wife can peek through with glasses and a fixed magnification eyepiece.

The Celestron is a heavy scope and not particularly ideal to lug around for long periods. However if you do go that way, I think that the Hawke Endurance 65ED is the same scope in essence (comes with a stay on case I think) and probably made in the same factory. Not sure how prices compare though.
You can pick up fairly decent astro eps for around the £40 mark as well. Best view I had on the Celestron was with a Baader 13mm (about 30x), but they're around £90.

Andy

One thing I can't figure out on the Theron/Helios is the scale on the zoom. Minimal distance between 15 and 30 and a large amount between 30 and 45. Haven't got a clue where 30x actually is. Not that it's too important, but wanted to do a like for like comparison with another scope.

Andy

Fatal,

The Regal and it's clone, the Endurance, are very good scopes. I would certainly recommend them. It is a shame the Promaster isnt available in your neck of the woods. They go for betweeen $400 and $600 on eBay. It is shorter and lighter than almost all other 65mm scopes.

Last edited:
Thanks for that heads up Frank. I can cope with a heavier scope, used to lugging 30 kilos of kit across nasty terrain so a scope, tripod and a few bits and pieces will not be an emergency, and I then can save for the swaro 80 hd I covet lol.

Andy, I took a cola can to a measured one hundred yards, noted the size and turned till it doubled. Tom a red marker and notched off the thirty . The travel to fourty five though is epic lol. Baader eye piece for thirty mag it will be. Just had a peek, very nice.

Andy, I took a cola can to a measured one hundred yards, noted the size and turned till it doubled. Tom a red marker and notched off the thirty . The travel to fourty five though is epic lol. Baader eye piece for thirty mag it will be. Just had a peek, very nice.

Where do you think the "real" 30X is on the scale? Close to where it's indicated or midway between 15 and 45?

Cheers
Andy

Taking a tape measure, 6mm after the 'x' on 30. Doubled my target size so stands to reason to me it's twice the 15 mag.

Thanks for that. Just checked my scope and that's almost exactly where i've got it set.

Andy

Have to say, when I first set it up I was really stumped. Looking through a fixed thirty, back to the ed60 and back I had a dawning comprehension.... I'd say where thirty is marked is twenty mag. I also noted just after my calculated estimate, maybe two mills of more travel I get light drop off slightly so yeah, bit of a puzzle at first till I sat and thought it through.

Measure the exit pupil and You will make sure...measure at 20x,..shall be 3mm diam..then zoom until you get a 2mm pupil and thats where you have your 30X..

Measure the exit pupil and You will make sure...measure at 20x,..shall be 3mm diam..then zoom until you get a 2mm pupil and thats where you have your 30X..

Hi
My measurements are a lot different, I'm measuring over 2mm at 45X and way over 5mm at about 20X. What could I be doing wrong?

Andy

Hi
My measurements are a lot different, I'm measuring over 2mm at 45X and way over 5mm at about 20X. What could I be doing wrong?

Andy

hahahaha I need the answer to this as well. Oh and my good lady wife is a trooper! She asked me to hang on till next Christmas for a new scope...Uh huh, its a suprise, she wont tell me what it is but I got to wait...

I havent felt like this since I was 5 and Star Wars toys came out for Christmas....

You need to make sure that you are measuring at a distance that is not larger than the eye relief of the eyepiece...if this zoom has 16 to 14 mm., Is at that distance where you want to set the measuring tape.There You should have a bright and well defined exit pupil..with a sharp edge..If you set the ruler at a larger distance the circle of light(exit pupil)will be larger

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back