• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vanguard Endeavor HD 82A First Impressions (1 Viewer)

kbrabble

I was recently in the market for a second spotting scope for an upcoming trip, and as a first scope for my daughter when she goes of to college in the fall. Only two scopes fell within the budget set aside for this, the Vanguard and the Celestron Regal 65 F-ED. I ended up ordering both, since there are no reviews of the Vanguard yet. So, I thought I would give some initial impressions after a weekend of use. I was also able to do some quick comparisons to my Zeiss 85mm and a Vortex Viper HD 80mm.

Both the Celestron and Vanguard are sharp and have excellent contrast. The Vanguard is MUCH brighter than the Celestron. There is more difference than I would think the increase in aperture would account for. The coatings on both scopes have a green reflection. The coatings on the Celestron are very dark and the green reflection can be easily seen. The coatings on the Vanguard are almost totally transparent, with just a slight hint of green. Vanguard also states that they use phase coated roof prisms, and very high quality glass. I wonder if these differences provide a higher transmission. In fact, the Vanguard is brighter than the Vortex, and very close to the Zeiss.

Apparent sharpness is about equal up to 30x on both scopes, with the Celestron perhaps taking a slight lead. Above 30x the Vanguard was the clear winner, with a very sharp image up to ~50x, and it was still sharper at 60x than the Celestron is at 48x. I would put the sharpness between the Vanguard and Vortex equal, with a very slight advantage to the Vanguard above 50x. The Zeiss was sharper across the board, but not by much. All the scopes had acceptable "sweet spots" and none appeared soft at the edges during use.

In low light use, the Vanguard beat the Celestron, by a large margin. It was also slightly brighter than the Vortex, and the image was crisper, for lack of a better term. There was no comparison between any of them and the Zeiss, but the Vanguard and Vortex held their own, and both gave perfectly acceptable images.

Chromatic aberrations are well controlled, in fact almost non-existent, in both scopes. The Celestron shows a LOT of internal reflections, the interior is not blackened well in some spots, and looking at the eyepiece end shows a lot of false pupils/stray light. There were also some occurrences of ghost images while using the scope, if eye placement was not dead centered. The Vanguard is well blackened, and there were no internal reflections visible. There were also no false pupils, but above 50x, there is a small ring of light around the edges in the eyepiece, but it does not seem to affect the field of view.

Both scopes had a generous field of view, which appeared equal at equivalent magnifications. They also both appeared to have a wider field of view than the Vortex, even though the specs are the same.

The Vanguard is smaller and lighter than the Celestron, but actually feels better built. The focusing on the Vanguard is super smooth, although with just a touch more resistance that I would like, and both coarse and fine focus work as they should. Vanguard includes a very nice view through case, with carrying strap, and all other accessories are good quality. This scope appears built to last, and comes with a lifetime no-fault warranty. The Celestron is big and heavy, it comes with a case, but it is not view through. The focus, while smooth, is very long. It takes a lot of turns and time to go from close to infinity. The scope feels well made, but only comes with a limited lifetime warranty. The Vanguard is also balanced very well, while the Celestron is very back heavy. I have to really crank down on the tension on the tripod head to keep the Celestron from tipping, while there are no problems with the Vanguard in this area.

The only plus to either the Vortex or Celestron scopes is the availability of fixed eyepieces. I spoke with Vanguard, and there are no plans for a fixed eyepiece at this time. However, the badder 13mm will sit in the Vanguard, and focus to infinity. I believe an adapter can easily be made, and plan on doing so after the trip.

All in all, the Vanguard is a great scope, for a great price. While the image quality is not quite on par with the Zeiss, it is very close (its actually scary how close it really is) for 1/5 of the price. In my opinion, it beats the Vortex which is almost twice as much. I would like a chance to compare it to the 80mm Celestron, but I get the feeling it would still come out the winner, and for less money. To sum it up, the Celestron went to the post office this morning for its return trip! I am very impressed with the Vanguard.

Kevin

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the review, always good to hear about an underreviewed model like the Vanguard scopes (I can't recall anyone ever reviewing any Vanguard scope product here!).... especially since you have a couple of other "known quantity" scopes in the Zeiss 85mm and Celestron Regal 65 F-ED that can serve as a reference.

Vanguard's Endeavor ED binoculars are exceptionally bright and sharp for the money so it's good to hear their scope offering is solid as well. Always good to have more "budget" options. The only criticism I ever really hear of Vanguard products (like many Chinese produced optics) is quality control related.

I'm more of a smaller scope guy and the bulk and weight of the Regal 65 F-ED has always put me off. If the Vanguard 65A (priced just under $500 so directly price competitive with the Regal) brings the same quality then it could be a solid alternative option to the Regal as the best "$500 and under" scope. They both have 16-48x magnification but the Vanguard is almost a full pound lighter and has a slightly wider FOV. And both are a couple hundred cheaper than the Viper HD 65mm version.

Speaking of underreviewed though... can you tell us more about the Vortex Viper HD 80mm? (Unless you've posted a review elsewhere that I missed) The Viper HD scopes seem pretty nice but they have a narrowish FOV and seem to not be world-beaters at their price point.

Now that you piqued my interest just did some googling and it looks like there are a couple of promotions on the Vanguard scopes. I'm just looking at the 65A but there is not only promotional sale pricing ($469 at OpticsPlanet and $489 at B&H) but Vanguard is also running a $50 mail-in rebate promotion, which puts the net cost at under $450.

If the 65A performs as well as the 82A (scaled down) it could be the new $500-and-under king for mid-size scope buyers. I certainly think it looks more attractive than the Regal F-ED, and I like what you said about not only the bright optics but also the better focuser than the Regal (a common criticism of that model).

Could you post some side-by-side photos so I can get a sense of relative size of the four scopes you have? I'm surprised to hear that the 82mm Vanguard feels lighter than the 65mm Regal.

How does the FOV of the 20-60x zoom on the Vanguard compare to that on the Zeiss? Do you have the standard 20-60x zoom on the Zeiss Diascope?

Just a pricing update -- OpticsPlanet is running a super promotion resulting in a screaming price for these scopes. There is a direct coupon that takes $75 off the 65mm scope (code "65SCOPE") and $100 off the 82mm version (code "82SCOPE").

Additionally, Vanguard is offering a $50 mail-in rebate on the Endeavor HD scopes: http://images1.opticsplanet.com/pdf/opplanet-vanguard-endeavor-hd-spotting-scope-2013.pdf

All-in, that brings the prices as follows:

82mm version = $429 shipped ($529-$100 coupon) and $379 after $50 rebate
65mm version = $394 shipped ($469-$75 coupon) and $344 after $50 rebate

Speaking of underreviewed though... can you tell us more about the Vortex Viper HD 80mm? (Unless you've posted a review elsewhere that I missed) The Viper HD scopes seem pretty nice but they have a narrowish FOV and seem to not be world-beaters at their price point.

I don't own the Viper, a friend does. I haven't used it enough to write a review. I just did some quick side-by-side observations while out recording bands on Red-cockaded Woodpeckers. This is a great test for scopes, as it gives greatly varied lighting conditions. All I can say for sure, is that in my opinion, the Vanguard beat the Vortex in optical performance. The field of view at least seemed narrower, on the Vortex, although the specs are similar.

Now that you piqued my interest just did some googling and it looks like there are a couple of promotions on the Vanguard scopes. I'm just looking at the 65A but there is not only promotional sale pricing ($469 at OpticsPlanet and $489 at B&H) but Vanguard is also running a $50 mail-in rebate promotion, which puts the net cost at under $450.

This is one of the reasons I decided to buy this scope. I ended up paying $512 for an 82mm ED scope, shipped overnight. I really didn't know what to think about it, as I could only find one review, albeit a good one, and that was of the older non-ed model. I am pleasantly surprised with the build and optical quality at this price.

Could you post some side-by-side photos so I can get a sense of relative size of the four scopes you have? I'm surprised to hear that the 82mm Vanguard feels lighter than the 65mm Regal.

I will try to get some side-by-sides with Zeiss when I return from my trip. I no longer have the Celestron in hand. The Celestron is 61oz and the Vanguard is 63.8 oz, according to the specs. I am not sure how these weights are measured, but the Celestron feels heaver. I have a feeling that the stated weight of the Celestron is without eyepiece. The Vanguard is shorter, and narrower overall, and is also balanced much better, with the Celestron being very back heavy.

Last edited:
Another great aspect I like is that the tripod foot works with several Vanguard quick release heads without the need for the adapter plate. I plan on ordering one for it eventually. This is a great convenience, and all scopes should come like this!

Thanks for the feedback, and for being the guinea pig on this new model. I just ordered the 65A from OpticsPlanet. I couldn't pass on the $345 price!! I've been looking for an excellent inexpensive scope and could never pull the trigger on the Regal F-ED for a variety of reasons (size, weight, slow focus, etc) despite the positive reviews of the optics.

I'll definitely come back with my impressions of the 65mm scope when it arrives. I've briefly used the Vortex Viper 80mm HD and that it was pretty decent for the price, but a bit too long and bulky. I also used to own the Pentax PF-65ED (another awesome value option) but the Vanguard is even cheaper... the Regal is supposed to be the optical equivalent of the little Pentax so if the 65mm Vanguard meets or exceeds the optics of the 65mm Celestron / Pentax then I'll be a happy camper for under $350 net.

Did you send in your $50 rebate form yet? That would bring your total price down to $462, pretty sweet.

Now that you piqued my interest just did some googling and it looks like there are a couple of promotions on the Vanguard scopes. I'm just looking at the 65A but there is not only promotional sale pricing ($469 at OpticsPlanet and $489 at B&H) but Vanguard is also running a $50 mail-in rebate promotion, which puts the net cost at under $450...........

Actually, Optics Planet has a checkout coupon offer right now on the Vanguard Endeavor HD scopes. "Value shipping" is free.

82SCOPE gets $100 off the 82A HD
65SCOPE gets $75 off the 65A and 65S HD

Endeavor 82A HD - $529.99 less $100 coupon less $50 mail-in rebate = $379.99

Endeavor 65A HD - $469.99 less $75 coupon less $50 mail-in rebate = $344.99

Edit: Eitanaltman - Looks while I was writing, you were buying! Glad you found the code.

Thanks for the feedback, and for being the guinea pig on this new model. I just ordered the 65A from OpticsPlanet. I couldn't pass on the $345 price!! I've been looking for an excellent inexpensive scope and could never pull the trigger on the Regal F-ED for a variety of reasons (size, weight, slow focus, etc) despite the positive reviews of the optics.

I'll definitely come back with my impressions of the 65mm scope when it arrives. I've briefly used the Vortex Viper 80mm HD and that it was pretty decent for the price, but a bit too long and bulky. I also used to own the Pentax PF-65ED (another awesome value option) but the Vanguard is even cheaper... the Regal is supposed to be the optical equivalent of the little Pentax so if the 65mm Vanguard meets or exceeds the optics of the 65mm Celestron / Pentax then I'll be a happy camper for under $350 net.

Did you send in your $50 rebate form yet? That would bring your total price down to $462, pretty sweet.

I will look forward to you impressions on the 65mm. After seeing the quality of the 82mm, I am thinking about buying a 65mm to use in my work on the RCWO's instead of taking my Zeiss and getting it covered in sap all the time.

I have the rebate form sitting here in front of me, ready to go in the mail!

Yeah, hopefully it works out. I loved the compact size of my old Pentax, but it's quite a bit more expensive (cheapest I can find is $500 for the body only) and the stock zoom isn't too hot. Although of course that's balanced by the ability to use any astro eyepiece, but then again that incurs even more cost.

I prefer 65mm type scopes for general use, although at that price I was really tempted by the 82mm version.

The Regal seemed to be the default option at $500-and-under but again the size and weight and complaints about the focus always turned me off. I always felt like what's the point of buying a 65mm scope that weighs as much or more than most 80mm+ class scopes? The Vanguard hopefully will be a nice blend of the two, not quite as compact as the Pentax (although barely more weight) but quite a bit smaller/lighter than the Regal. And considering the low price point if it's even equal optically to the Celestron / Pentax I will be quite happy. Obviously if it's even better that's just gravy! :D

You should have kept reading the rest of the thread before replying Bruce ;)

I was at the end of the thread when I started to reply and it was at post #4. As I looked into it, I got interested in the scope and started clicking links as is easy to do on the net. I also called Optics Planet to see if the Fathers Day code could be combined, but they said no. About an hour or so later I clicked submit and found out the conversation had moved on considerably!

The 82A sure is tempting, even without combining the Fathers Day code!

Sure is... $379.99 for an 82mm ED scope with a lifetime no-fault warranty, with optics that beat the Celestron Regal F-ED and Vortex Viper HD? Sounds good to me :)

I wish I knew if it was the same bayonet mount as the Zen Ray. They look similar from the pictures, but there is no telling. When I emailed Vanguard about the availability of fixed focal length eyepieces, they said there were none on the drawing board at this time, and that there mount wasn't compatible with any others that they knew of. It would be great if it was compatible with the Zen Ray, and their 30x eyepiece would work.

Zen uses the Swaro bayonet,but for the photo of the Vanguard scope is hard to tell If it could work . It doesn`t really look alike to be honest ..If you can post a better photo of the bayonet we might be able to guess a bit better..For what is worth ,the Zen 30X eyepiece is nothing special ,and is not cheap either, but if their bayonet was compatible (or adaptable),their Wide angle Zoom could be another story altogether...

I'm sure it will not work, that would be way to easy! All I have to go on in the pics on the net, and none seem to show the mount very well. I will post some pics when I return. Right now everything is packed ready to go to the airport.

If you look on B&H site they show the Vortex Razor HD 30x eyepiece as "Essential Accessories" for both the Vanguard 82 HD and 65 HD.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back