• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Aldi ,Scope (1 Viewer)

colonelboris said:
I'm getting one. It cannot be any worse than the Tasco heap of £$%^ I have at the moment. And it's only £25. Even if it is just as bad, the Tasco isn't angled and only has x15-x45, so that's good enough for me!

Hi Tony i just was just looking thru and saw your post. No offence but i think the wee tasco is a brill scope. Well for digiscopeing that is. I use one all the time with a 2mp kodac on macro. Its cheap n cheerfull with no ca to speak of but it strugels out in the field for viewing. I dont know if this is going to be mutch of an upgrade though.

dafi said:
Hi Tony i just was just looking thru and saw your post. No offence but i think the wee tasco is a brill scope. Well for digiscopeing that is. I use one all the time with a 2mp kodac on macro. Its cheap n cheerfull with no ca to speak of but it strugels out in the field for viewing. I dont know if this is going to be mutch of an upgrade though.

Must just be me - I've been digiscoping with it for a while, but it just never seems to be right. Also tends to knock itself out of focus if you touch the back of it as it isn't entirely stable in terms of build quality. I've got a couple of nice pics, but a lot of them are pretty sketchy and it only seems to be getting worse. The most recent shots I've taken aren't very good at all, even though I'm doing exactly the same thing as when I started and got some nice clear shots. Might just be suffering from age and being lugged about everywhere, but I've never been entirely happy with it, especially where colour is concerned sa it gives some strange yellow, brown and blue hues depending on light conditions.
And the new one will save my knees from bending down to look through it all the time, the tasco being a straight-through scope...

Last edited:
Och if its going down hill bin it.thats the thing about cheap scopes. I have seen nice strait thru scopes comeing up soon on ebay a B & L 20X60 60mm. I havent tried it but i bet its better than tomorows offering. If you want to take photos that is. I saw a realy nice strait through[there must be a proper name for these] on ebay i might post to see if any ones used them. Gettin a bit drunk now though.

I think whatever the quality they must be a good buy at £24.99. Ive even phoned a few people I know who have just started and told them to buy one. Even if its like looking through net curtains its better than nowt... ;)
Ps My 1st scope was a 15-60x60 Tasco and it was rubbish but hey it helped whilst I was still learning..

LSB said:
I think whatever the quality they must be a good buy at £24.99. Ive even phoned a few people I know who have just started and told them to buy one. Even if its like looking through net curtains its better than nowt... ;)
Ps My 1st scope was a 15-60x60 Tasco and it was rubbish but hey it helped whilst I was still learning..
well thats exactly it the more pepole looking the better nice one LSB.

dafi said:
well thats exactly it the more pepole looking the better nice one LSB.

Cheers Dafi
I was daft enough at the time to pay £200 for a Tasco scope out of the catalogue. I love the way the photos show a planes tail fin then shows it again enlarged.... Isn't Hindsight a wonderful thing....

Last edited:
LSB said:
Cheers Dafi
I was daft enough at the time to pay £200 for a Tasco scope out of the catalogue. I love the way the photos show a planes tail fin then shows it again enlarged.... Isn't Hindsight a wonderful thing....
the little tasco i have is brill for garden snaps an that if i ever get photo shop loaded again i will post a few to show waat i mean i think the whole thing wi the aldi scope is it will open a lot of pepoles eyes as to whats out there at a higher mag. My tasco came from argos and i thought it was the best thing since sliced bread. I have moved on a little but its only a little.

Well, my Mum had left the TV mag open on the computer desk and lo and behold, the same scope advertised there. Except with no specs at all, just guff about 'it'll look so close you'll want to touch it'. Except that they want £99.95 + £10 p+p. Obviously, being more expensive, it has to be better quality... And not only that, the magazine version has a bald eagle shown where the Aldi ad only has some Canada geese. I've got Canada goose on my list this year, but bald eagle would go better, so I'll get the one in the TV mag...

colonelboris said:
Smash and grabbec it - let's see if it's any good...

My wife joined the mad crowd at Kilmarnock, Scotland, I will get to see it when she returns this evening, reports so far are, good bulld quality :)

£24.99.....................

They are not Swar'ski or Leica, but if you just want to 'spot' and identify a creature.......................
In Lens terms, well, you can't call 'em tack sharp but I suppose they do what I want anyway although they will be poor in low light.

Value for money.............£25.............you judge.

BUT, at 10am this morning at Aldi in Pontefract there was a que. Almost everyone wanted the same thing , be very suprised if there are many left by the end of the day.

Denis.

Well, the magnification is certainly there and leads me to think that my Tasco was lying when it said 'x 45', although the brown ring around everything you look at is a bit off-putting. Might have difficulty sorting out some sort of adapter for it, but I'll give it a go. Won't get to properly test as we're off it today where the only birds are pigeons, but it's been difficult to try so far with the baby tring to undo the legs of the tripod while I'm looking through the scope added to the fact that they must have kept the scopes in the warehouse overnight as the lens kept misting with condesation when I put my eye near it...
Never happy...

Did I save £25 for another day,got to the shop just before 11 o,clock this morning only to discover the complete stock of twelve [12] had gone at 9.10 am.

"to discover the complete stock of twelve [12] had gone at 9.10 am"

Ouch, that must hurt..

Ok early birds, Negative reviews are needed!

Well got ours and I'm happy enough with it. We were about 8th in the queue in our local branch and I think all of us were heading for the scopes (one even got 3). When we left there was only 3 left. The bird tables, boxes and fat balls were also doing a good trade as well.

Just had a look through it, yes it does have that brown ring to the edge of it, but it does focus well. As the only time I ever check one out is the odd look through Ian's Swarovski scope I cannot really make judgement. But as far as I am concerned I now have my own little scope and it will most likely follow us on the travels more than the Swarovski.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back