• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help digiscoping with Zeiss 85mm diascope (1 Viewer)

kcolter

I feel like a bit of an impostor participating in a forum with avid and accomplished birders and photographers. I'm more of an astronomer than birder, but greatly enjoy looking at birds with the optics during the day. Every year at this time we have bald eagles along the Missouri River (where I live) and I would love to try capturing photos of these magnificent birds through a Zeiss 85mm diascope that I own. I have the adapter that Zeiss makes for holding a digital camera behind the eyepiece. I am an absolute rank amateur photographer and would love for someone who is using the Zeiss 85 scope and the Zeiss adapter to tell me what camera they succesfully use to digiscope. I am so unfamiliar with the options available on the current market that I have no real idea what to buy or what to do with respect to a camera for this setup. I have tried putting my daughters' or wife's digital camera on the adapter and it does not look like these will mate well with the Zeiss Diascope. Thanks to anyone who can steer me to a good camera--doesn't have to be the absolute best. If I can take a decent photo I'll be happy. Much thanks.

I use a Panasonic G2 or GF1 with mine, using either the 20mm or 45mm prime lenses. I am still at the learning stage, but I have had some reasonable shots.

But, it also depends on budget and there are many cameras that will work. One tip, try to find one with a viewfinder as well as a screen. The screen can often be unviewable in bright sunlight. Sadly, very few new compact cameras still have a viewfinder.

Zeiss 85 Diascope/quick cam adapter

Thanks for the tip. Do you use the Zeiss Quick Cam adapter with your G1 and the Zeiss 85mm scope? (This is the adapter I have, the one that swings out to the side to allow one to look through the eyepiece.)

SRB-Griturn in England make very simple (and inexpensive) digiscoping adapters, which work well with P&S cameras with no viewfinder -- like the Fujis with 3x optical zooms.

Mike

K,

I too am a Zeiss 85 user and have been digiscoping w/ it since 2003. Check out my web site for information regarding the use of P&S cameras and tips for digiscoping. I've just posted a slide show of my favorite digiscoped images from 2010 that should give you some ideas of the capability of the scope, which is terrific imho...

http://jerryjourdan2.blogspot.com/

Jerry
Your site is amazing! What fantastic images you have taken! I will be delighted if I can approach the quality of whatever you consider to be your poorest image. I took particular delight in seeing the images of snowy owls. I have wanted to see a snowy for years and have not done so yet. It is the time of year when they come south so I have my eyes on the rare bird alerts here in the states. They have occasionally come as far south as Missouri, the state I live in. I have a camera now and will try taking some pictures of the bald eagles that winter along the Missouri River in our small town. Thanks for the inspiration provided by your fine images. '

Hi all. I just got a Zeiss 85mm scope, with the Zeiss DCA and using a Canon S95. Although I know I need a lot of practice, it is really quite fun to do. Here is a result from today.

Attachments

• IMG_0642b.JPG
    IMG_0642b.JPG
    127.2 KB · Views: 252
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back