• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My Pictures (5 Viewers)

These are on the joint thread
Juv. Maggy + Juv. Goldfinch
Nosey Female Reed-Bunting

Attachments

• Picture 064.jpg
    Picture 064.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 89
  • Picture 065.jpg
    Picture 065.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 95
lots of action in the maggy, I love the goldfinch blob with its back to us, justhow they are half the time. Top right reed bunting's the one for me. great stuff.

Your fieldwork continues to astound me, Arthur. The very bottom bunt. portrait is as good as I've ever seen - excellent (the whole lot).

Been quiet ,worn out by grandson this week. Could not resist this though.Superb male Sparrow Hawk took a juv. Blackbird in the garden just as I was going indoors.
Grabbed book and pencil .Unfortunately it was a 4H way to hard for me but no time to or couldn't risk going to change it. Made the best of it.

Attachments

• Sp H1.jpg
    Sp H1.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 92
  • Sp H2.jpg
    Sp H2.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 94
  • Sp H3.jpg
    Sp H3.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 76
  • Sp H 4.jpg
    Sp H 4.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 94
Bravo Arthur, you make more meaningful and expressive drawings in your backgarden than a man ought to be allowed to - wonderful work.

These are smashing sketches. We had one in our garden a while ago on the rockery about a yard from the back door - inbelievable. Didn't attempt to sketch it as I expected it to fly away any second but it was so intent on its meal - a sparrow I think that it stayed for ages in the end - managed to get some photo thr' the glass.

Pleased you all like.
Mr & mrs are to busy feeding the young at this time of year to hang about Wendy.
One drawn up in colour may do others , not sure which to paint might do coloured sketches of all to get an idea.

Attachments

• Sp H5.jpg
    Sp H5.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Arthur, Good work. Are you planning to work the last sketch up
as a more complete colour work too. Its the one for me of the
set of sketches. Its amazing how accipiters go into this trance like
state at times after a kill.

Seen Gos's do the same thing . I think its a
period of time when the birds adrenalin levels are at there highest
and I think the trance like state they assume is the adrenalin levels
subsiding. keep up the good work .

Good stuff Arthur, like Andrew says I think you've captured the moment really well esp. the second pose.

Thankyou all.
Andrew , I agree with you about not being aware, He seemed to be looking straight through you while trying to subdue it. He was there for about six min's.struggling with the juv. Using his tail like a third leg so he could change his grip, hence the diff. poses. The young must be getting big now . He took it away alive.
1 more drawn up pose.
Haven't decided which pose I like best yet.

Attachments

• Sp H7.jpg
    Sp H7.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
Thankyou all.
Andrew , I agree with you about not being aware, He seemed to be looking straight through you while trying to subdue it. He was there for about six min's.struggling with the juv. Using his tail like a third leg so he could change his grip, hence the diff. poses. The young must be getting big now . He didn't break the neck but took it away alive.
1 more drawn up pose.
Haven't decided which pose I like best yet.

Arthur, Loving the finished colour work. Accipiter never kill with there beak.
neather do eagles or buteo's. Falcons are the only ones that seem to deliver
the final solution in the form of a bite to the neck. Accipiters can seem quite
cruel to people sometimes as I have seen them start to eat many a quite
alive bird. They use there vice like grip as the killing mechanism.

Lovely series of working and finished drawings.:t:

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back