• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Panasonic 100-300 Zoom lens (1 Viewer)

Thanks for the kind comments.

In another forum someone has suggested that in camera noise reduction settings are smearing some of the images. I've been shooting RAW with the Natural style and all the sub settings at 0. For post processing Ive been importing into Silkypics and generating TIFFs which I then adjust in Lightroom. I've seen that a beta exists for Lightroom raw conversion of the G3 so I'm not inclined to spend too much time learning Silkypics

I'm guessing that Silkypics may be applying the Natural style when it converts to TIFFs Should I be shooting with a reduced noise reduction setting? Or should I be applying a reduced noise reduction setting in Silkypics?

Squeak when switching on camera

Just wondered if this was normal? When I turn on my camera (G3), the lens makes a brief but obvious squeak before stabilising. Does this happen with everyone else's 100-300mm lens?

Thanks
Hobbes

Just wondered if this was normal? When I turn on my camera (G3), the lens makes a brief but obvious squeak before stabilising. Does this happen with everyone else's 100-300mm lens?

Thanks
Hobbes

I've heard people complaining that Mice get inside the Lens, Hobbes|=)|

I've heard people complaining that Mice get inside the Lens, Hobbes|=)|

:-O does that mean I need to feed it rather than oil it ?!?! ;)
Hobbes

I should add the lens is working fine, it just makes that initial connection squeak when I fire up the camera.

:-O does that mean I need to feed it rather than oil it ?!?! ;)

Yep, feed it, Hobbes. But be careful, as if it gets too fat it won't be able to get out again (I'd better stop now, before I fill this thread with silliness (I've done it before you know) |=)|

Yep, feed it, Hobbes. But be careful, as if it gets too fat it won't be able to get out again (I'd better stop now, before I fill this thread with silliness (I've done it before you know) |=)|

:-O A good dose of silliness does everyone a world of good every now and again, Chris :t: Made me laugh out loud anyway! [I'm off to feed my lens...um...mouse...]

Hi, Hobbes.

I've just checked my 100-300 on the GH2. There is definitely a sound in the lens after the camera is switched on, but I wouldn't describe it as a squeak, more like a faint click.

So, perhaps some other type of rodent in my case.;) But either way, I don't think it's anything to worry about.

Malcolm

Hi, Hobbes.

I've just checked my 100-300 on the GH2. There is definitely a sound in the lens after the camera is switched on, but I wouldn't describe it as a squeak, more like a faint click.

So, perhaps some other type of rodent in my case.;) But either way, I don't think it's anything to worry about.

Malcolm

Hi Malcolm
Thank you very much for checking and putting my mind at rest. I had initially put it down as 'normal' but suddenly thought I ought to check that these little noises are meant to be there.

I've had a fun day with the G3 and lens today and feel a lot happier with the performance. I think my initial reticence was beginner's caution. I'm definitely happy with the upgrade :t:
Hobbes

Hi Malcolm
Thank you very much for checking and putting my mind at rest. I had initially put it down as 'normal' but suddenly thought I ought to check that these little noises are meant to be there.

I've had a fun day with the G3 and lens today and feel a lot happier with the performance. I think my initial reticence was beginner's caution. I'm definitely happy with the upgrade :t:
Hobbes

Glad to hear you're feeling happier with your gear, Hobbes.:t: I'm sure the more you use it, the more you'll get out of it and enjoy it.

I have a couple of weeks' holiday after this week, so I'm hoping to get out with the GH2. Even though I've had it for three weeks or so, I've hardly had a chance to use it. Whenever I've had some free time, the weather's been atrocious.

I've also recently taken delivery of the 14-45mm lens, so the two lenses should make a nice combination for a day out.

Malcolm

Glad to hear you're feeling happier with your gear, Hobbes.:t: I'm sure the more you use it, the more you'll get out of it and enjoy it.

I have a couple of weeks' holiday after this week, so I'm hoping to get out with the GH2. Even though I've had it for three weeks or so, I've hardly had a chance to use it. Whenever I've had some free time, the weather's been atrocious.

I've also recently taken delivery of the 14-45mm lens, so the two lenses should make a nice combination for a day out.

Malcolm

Hi Malcolm
I know what you mean about the weather. It has been disappointing over the last 2 weeks. I'm hoping we'll have an Indian Summer and that Septembler will be the month for migrants and sunshine |=)|.

I've read that the 14-45mm is a great lens so you should have all sorts of fun with that and the 100-300mm.

Hobbes

before I jump in and change to this lens has anyone used both it and the 45-200? If so how does the IQ compare?

I have not made that comparison myself, but for bird photos I would not hesitate on the 100-300. There are several threads on DPReview on these two and I think (as far as my memory goes) that IQ generally is deemed better for the longer lens. Just be prepared for a less than ideal OS necessitating rather short shutter times (in my own experience).

Niels

What camera is the best Panasonic for the 100-300 zoom? It has to have a OVF etc :)

Hi Kristoffer, from reading the forums (dpreview and here), I'd say the two Panasonic cameras that are favoured for AF speed/accuracy, image quality, low light performance and so on, are the GH2 and G3. The new Olympus EP3 camera reportedly has similar AF speeds now to the Panasonics but you don't have the EVF and it's pricey/new the market.
Hope that helps
Hobbes

Last edited:
choosing between GH2 and G3 is very much a personal matter, I believe. Enthusiasts of the Olympus range will say that they have an excellent EVF as an accessory ;)

I am very happy with my GH2 so far.

Niels

choosing between GH2 and G3 is very much a personal matter, I believe. Enthusiasts of the Olympus range will say that they have an excellent EVF as an accessory ;)

I am very happy with my GH2 so far.

Niels

Hi Niels,

How does the "reach" of your set up (gh2 plus 100-300) compare with the FZ-18 plus teleconverter? (I think you used tc). I'm impressed with how easy it is to get frame filling shots with the FZ-18 plus 1.7 tc--though not always with the IQ of course. Wondering if I'd have to take a step down in terms of "magnification" going to a setup like yours unless I wanted to take on a lot of weight. (I'm using scare quotes because I know there's more variables than just optical magnification that affect this issue--though I'm skeptical of any sort of virtual magnification).

Best,
Jim

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back