• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

BIF with BIG lenses (1 Viewer)

swainsons

Hello All,

As you may know I have aqcuired a 400mmf2.8 and love it to bits, but I am having trouble with BIF, specially when I am on foot lugging that beast around. With the 300mmf4 and TC it was a breeze.!!!

Can somebody enlighten me as to technique etc for monster lenses and BIF, Tripod or monopod, ballhead or Wimberley??? Is there a technique for handholding a beast like a 400+?? or is the answer simply to leave the 400 at home and use the 300 and TC on my walkabouts, almost reserve the 400 for shooting from a hide or inside the car?

Would love to hear your comments.

Regards,

Leon

Leon,

I think that's a swings and roundabouts situation (if you know what I mean), in essence I think it's just down to personal taste. I used to own a 300mm prime and as you say it was great for handholding to shoot BIF, light and easy to handle. I've now got a huge Sigma 300-800mm and that is impossible to handhold so I use it on a tripod mounted on a Manfrotto gimbel head and take BIF shots that way.

Personally I'd say it all comes down to if you want to carry a tripod around or prefer to travel light. I don't have a problem with my set up so that's what I use.

Just my thoughts.

Ian

I used to regularly hand hold a 400 (if my recollection was correct it was an f 4 so likely not as heavy as yours) with the aid of a shoulder held 'gun stock' system. Of course, you'll be limited to shooting at relatively fast shutter speeds (1/400 minimum) though with a tree trunk or other brace you can go a bit slower. These gun stock systems generaly come with straps that allow you to carry the rig slung over your favored shoulder so are pretty portable. Unfortunately, as it's been years since I've used them can't make specific recommendations. Google around to see what's out there.

Have fun and good luck!

Leon, I use my 400/2.8 on a gitzo and wimberley great for bif and have had reasonable success (have a look at my red kite shots) works on bifs with a 1.4 as well.
Biggest issue is setting up the camera. Use the af on button to focus and not the shutter release, check your af option and focus shift delay, I normally use 9 or 21pt af on my D300.
It took me a while getting used to it after using the lighter sigma500/4.8

You can get BIF with a tripod mounted lens but it's much easier hand holding... provided you can hold the lens. That's were the bigger lenses are disadvantaged and why I much prefer my 300mm to my 500mm for these shots. Not only is there a weight issue but the field of vision is reduced on a bigger lens so finding the target is harder too. The 300mmf4 is light enough to stick in a back pack whilst carrying your 400mm tripod mounted on your shoulder ! Take both !
Incidentally, I have a Wimberley head and that's as good as you'll get for manouverability to track moving objects.

probably wrong term, its the setting that delays the focus refocussing if you pass across another object, like another bird or tree etc, the levels are off, short, medium or long.

probably wrong term, its the setting that delays the focus refocussing if you pass across another object, like another bird or tree etc, the levels are off, short, medium or long.

MMMMMMM..... Thanks, dont think the D90 has that option, but will check.

Regards,

Leon

Leon,
The weight is always a problem with big lenses for walking around for BIF but I would suggest the bigger problem is the D90. I never found it a great camera for flight shots as it's too slow. As you have a pro lens it's time to get a pro body. See if you can get a reburb D3. It will change your life. Even the D300s or D7000 are better.
Neil.

Leon,
The weight is always a problem with big lenses for walking around for BIF but I would suggest the bigger problem is the D90. I never found it a great camera for flight shots as it's too slow. As you have a pro lens it's time to get a pro body. See if you can get a reburb D3. It will change your life. Even the D300s or D7000 are better.
Neil.

Hey Neil,

You are right off course, but now budget is an issue after spending my money on the lens.

Think I will wait for D400....

Regards,

I agree with Duke a good steady tripod and a Gimbal head are the best combo for birding with a long lens, also rest your left hand on the top of the lens near the centre of balance and it'll help to soak up any vibration from the mirror swinging up or wind etc.

If you have a gimbal, don't be afraid to mount it on a sturdy monopod. Even the mighty 400 f2.8 AF-I is quite nimble this way. Gives you 80% of the stability of a tripod and is much easier to walk with and shoot quick, who cares if it looks funny!;) Since I began doing this, I normally leave the tripod in the truck.

Last edited:
If you have a gimbal, don't be afraid to mount it on a sturdy monopod. Even the mighty 400 f2.8 AF-I is quite nimble this way. Gives you 80% of the stability of a tripod and is much easier to walk with and shoot quick, who cares if it looks funny!;) Since I began doing this, I normally leave the tripod in the truck.

Thanks Stealthman.

I am busy building myself a gimbal. I enjoy playing with things like that. Will have sealed bearings all round and locks in all directions. Taking a while as I want it perfect, but should have something in next 2 weeks or so. Will post a pic.

regards

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back