• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cooper's Hawk in California, ID Help (1 Viewer)

bitterntwisted said:
If that top beam is 3" deep, then the very rudimentary "Coopometer" (pat. pending) below makes the bird at least 33", and realistically at least 3'. If it's a female I wouldn't want to be Mr. Cooper's Hawk in that relationship. I know you've not gone metric, Gail, but are you sure your tape measure hasn't?

Graham

I am tempted to skip my hockey tonight in lieu of continuing this discussion on the "Coopometer". I can hardly type....LOL. Oy vey.

bitterntwisted said:
If that top beam is 3" deep, then the very rudimentary "Coopometer" (pat. pending) below makes the bird at least 33", and realistically at least 3'. If it's a female I wouldn't want to be Mr. Cooper's Hawk in that relationship. I know you've not gone metric, Gail, but are you sure your tape measure hasn't?

Graham

I love the drop-shadow effect! It adds that extra little...... something!

Hockey.Lover said:
There are two pieces of wood (not sure of terminology) on top of the fence which are approx. 1.5 inches each.

What you have there is a BACH (Big-A*sed Cooper's Hawk). At the very least a female. Possibly an uber-female. Don't let your cats out and don't get her angry!!!!

Oh Shit!!

I am such a dufus!! As seen in the photos, I was looking at a different part of the fence. DUH!!! I took a shot of a squirrel afterward and it was farther down on the fence. (Blush)

Now it's back to about 1.5 inches. Sheesh....

Sorry...

Attachments

• hawk-20.jpg
    hawk-20.jpg
    366.1 KB · Views: 67
  • squirrel-1.jpg
    squirrel-1.jpg
    352.7 KB · Views: 61
Terry O'Nolley said:
What you have there is a BACH (Big-A*sed Cooper's Hawk). At the very least a female. Possibly an uber-female. Don't let your cats out and don't get her angry!!!!

I'll take the uber-female. :t:

Hockey.Lover said:
I am such a dufus!! As seen in the photos, I was looking at a different part of the fence. DUH!!! I took a shot of a squirrel afterward and it was farther down on the fence. (Blush)

Now it's back to about 1.5 inches. Sheesh....

Sorry...
LOL! It's all good - I'm sure we all appreciate your going the extra step to go out to your yard and repeatedly measure the board at the top of your fence :D

We should have just allowed Bitterntwisted to stand with his size estimate! He probably already figured out your fence was 1.5 inches thick at that point!

Terry O'Nolley said:
LOL! It's all good - I'm sure we all appreciate your going the extra step to go out to your yard and repeatedly measure the board at the top of your fence :D

We should have just allowed Bitterntwisted to stand with his size estimate! He probably already figured out your fence was 1.5 inches thick at that point!

I wouldn't have had such a good laugh for the day otherwise. I just love the "Coopometer" -- can't wait until it's patented. :D

I will speak softly so as not to interrupt the good times, but to go to the question that started this, the bird is almost certainly an adult female in my opinion. The rufous auriculars, quite gray mantle, not particulary dark cap, and grayish forehead and supercilium all combine to say female. The orange iris lets in the outside possibility of a 3rd CY male, but I don't think so. No retained juvenile feathers in upperwing coverts (or the blurred rump shot), and again, the gray upperside and forehead would seem to indicate a youngish fully adult female (4+ CY), who is nonetheless not particularly old for an adult either, as the iris has not deepened to red.

B Lagopus said:
I will speak softly so as not to interrupt the good times, but to go to the question that started this, the bird is almost certainly an adult female in my opinion. The rufous auriculars, quite gray mantle, not particulary dark cap, and grayish forehead and supercilium all combine to say female. The orange iris lets in the outside possibility of a 3rd CY male, but I don't think so. No retained juvenile feathers in upperwing coverts (or the blurred rump shot), and again, the gray upperside and forehead would seem to indicate a youngish fully adult female (4+ CY), who is nonetheless not particularly old for an adult either, as the iris has not deepened to red.

Wow. Thank you B Lagopus. I did have to go get my glasses to read it, though. :D

I guess I opened the box asking questions about gender. So much to learn. I appreciate you taking the time to respond to my original question.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back