• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fuji F50fd (1 Viewer)

Neil

I finally gave up on easily finding a replacement F31fd to replace my damaged one , so I bought the F50fd on Sunday. I haven't given it a proper workout yet but initial impressions are fast focusing,sharp lens, less vigneting than Nikon P5100 ( but not as good as the F30/31 ) ,addition of First 12,Last 12 Continuous Mode, more noise than the F30/31,fiddly,small buttons with no improvement in the menu/setup function.
I'll report with images in the next few days. Neil.

Took the F50fd and the SRB-Griturn adapter out to the local park today to test them out on the Swarovski zoom eyepiece.
I'm impressed with the AF speed . Much faster than the P5100 and the 8400.
The Last 12 function adjusts iso to 400 and resolution down to 3 megs which makes it very fast. Start photographing before the action starts and release after you've seen it happen. It saves the last 12 frames.
It has kept the ability to take 3 frames in Self-timer mode after selecting Continuous First 3. The P5100 doesn't have this sophistication ( The Canon A640 has an even more sophisticated function )
The noise levels seem worse than the F30/31fd which is a shame. Noiseware goes someway towards fixing this. Good at iso 100 and acceptable at 200/400.
Here are first images in good light. The second(20x and iso 100 ) and third images(60x and iso100) are straight from the camera, the fourth (20x and iso 100 )and fifth (20x and iso400 and Last 12 Mode) have been adjusted.
Neil.

Attachments

• srg-griturn.adapter DSCF3082.jpg
    srg-griturn.adapter DSCF3082.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 434
  • test.f50fd.swzoom20x.iso100.18.2mm DSCF3010.jpg
    test.f50fd.swzoom20x.iso100.18.2mm DSCF3010.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 267
  • test.f50fd.swzoom60x.iso100.16.3mm DSCF3051.jpg
    test.f50fd.swzoom60x.iso100.16.3mm DSCF3051.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 240
  • test.F50fd.swzoom.20x.iso100.12.5mm.adjDSCF3261.jpg
    test.F50fd.swzoom.20x.iso100.12.5mm.adjDSCF3261.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 372
  • wood ducks.pair.F50fd.iso400.chrome.last12.nwareDSCF4013.jpg
    wood ducks.pair.F50fd.iso400.chrome.last12.nwareDSCF4013.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 315
Very nice photos, Neil, especially the Tree Sparrow. It makes the current choice of camera even more confusing now. Interesting you comment on the AF speed. Has it been unable to auto focus at all yet? I still have sporadic problems with this with the F30.

I see how the saddle works on the adapter now. There is an additional side locking screw.

Ron

Very nice photos, Neil, especially the Tree Sparrow. It makes the current choice of camera even more confusing now. Interesting you comment on the AF speed. Has it been unable to auto focus at all yet? I still have sporadic problems with this with the F30.

I see how the saddle works on the adapter now. There is an additional side locking screw.

Ron

Ron,
I had problems at about 3/4 zoom so I switched of the Macro and focused on the birds legs. Problem solved.
I'm having an adapter modified for it ( my old F30/31 adapter )
Neil.

Neil,
After using the Fuji F31fd, the Nikon P5100 and the Fuji F50fd, which is/was your favorite?
I have an F31fd but have been contemplating getting a P5100. I am happy with the F31, except for the few quirks it has, but I've been wondering if I'd like the P5100 even better. Or even the F50 possibly. Any advice you can offer is welcome. Thanks!

Neil,
After using the Fuji F31fd, the Nikon P5100 and the Fuji F50fd, which is/was your favorite?
I have an F31fd but have been contemplating getting a P5100. I am happy with the F31, except for the few quirks it has, but I've been wondering if I'd like the P5100 even better. Or even the F50 possibly. Any advice you can offer is welcome. Thanks!

I wouldn't get the F50fd as it's not a very impressive camera for digiscoping compared to the F31fd. The P5100 gives you a bit more reach ( 123 mm v 108 mm ) and 12 megs v 6 megs. I find the Macro zone of the P5100 (Green zone) gives me accurate focusing but the F31fd is a little faster with AF. The main advantage of the F31fd is the fast frame rate and high iso capability. If light is a problem for you in your area I would stay with the F31fd. If it's not and you want more reach (more cropping room) then consider the P5100. Also battery life is much better with the P5100 but an extra battery would be cheaper than buying a new camera.
They would work very well together if you can justify both. I normally take 3 digicams with me and I also put the old , trusty 4500 in the bag sometimes when I know I will need it's long lens.
Neil

ps when budgetary restraints are lifted (sometime in the next century ) I would like to play with the Canon A650 IS .

Thanks Neil. I think I'll stick with the F31...it is a good little camera. I have an older Canon S400 (3X zoom, 4MP) as back up. I'd rather save my cash for a new scope later this year to replace my Vortex non-ED 80. Then maybe a DSLR with a nice telephoto lens sometime in the far far future (may well be the next century with my son in college next year the my daughter only 2 years behind him).

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back