• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bought way too many peanuts (1 Viewer)

walterbyrd

Dont' know what I was thinking. I like buying in bulk to save money. But, peanuts just don't last that long. I bought a 50 pound bag.

Any advice?

Dont' know what I was thinking. I like buying in bulk to save money. But, peanuts just don't last that long. I bought a 50 pound bag.

Any advice?

They're in the shell, I take it? If so, toss a shovelful on the ground each day in your backyard (or whatever) & the jays will make short work of them. You do get jays, I hope? Scrub, Blue, Steller's, it doesn't matter which, they all love peanuts-in-the-shell and will spend hours day after day carrying them off to cache for later consumption.

If you put the peanuts out in the morning every day the jays will learn your routine and will be there waiting for their treat.

Mike

They're in the shell, I take it? If so, toss a shovelful on the ground each day in your backyard (or whatever) & the jays will make short work of them. You do get jays, I hope? Scrub, Blue, Steller's, it doesn't matter which, they all love peanuts-in-the-shell and will spend hours day after day carrying them off to cache for later consumption.

They are not in the shell. If I put any kind of peanut on the ground, where I live, the squirrels will get them before any bird can get near them.

I am thinking about putting them in a platform feeder, on the other side of my small yard. My idea is that: the squirrels and blackbirds will eat the peanuts, and leave the other feeders alone. My fear is that doing this will just attract more squirrels and blackbirds.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back