• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The return of the tern! (1 Viewer)

chloethequink

Hello folks,
I wondered if you could help me. I'm on a search to discover more about my great aunt Hilda, who was a naturalist and rose-grower. I'm writing about her. She loved to watch terns feeding so I am off in search of one. I tried in the autumn but they had migrated! So... I want to greet them on their return. Perhaps an arctic tern. I wondered if anyone knew when they might be back to the UK first and where? She used to go to Anglesea so perhaps I'll head that way. April??
Any tips gratefully received!
Chloe

Cemlyn Bay on Anglesey is one place you could visit - but May rather than risking being too early in April.

The North East - eg. Farne Islands hold more Arctics - and Scotland is a stronghold.

Common Terns are to found alongside Arctics in many places, often more Common in more southern parts.

Nearer to London, Dungeness is a good place for terns.

Good luck,

H

Don't forget Coquet Island of the coast of Northumberland near Amble, more or less the only place in the UK where you'll find the rare Roseate Tern nesting. Although there are a very small amount of places in the Republic of Ireland where they nest. You can't land on Coquet Island, but there are boat trip going very close in to the Island and good views of the Roseate Tern.
Ian.

Thoroughly recommend places above but just to inform you that Common Tern is a fairly widespread breeding bird in the London area so you wouldn't have to travel far to see these. There is something special though about a big tern colony- you'll certainly get close on the Farnes! Magical place.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back