• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Differences between P5000 and P5100 (1 Viewer)

Glimmer

The P5100 is very expensive... I have found an offer of a refurbished P5000, but I don not know if it a worst camera. Specifications are very similar, but this is for you who have tested both, what are the real differences between the two cameras?

Regards,

The P5100 is very expensive... I have found an offer of a refurbished P5000, but I don not know if it a worst camera. Specifications are very similar, but this is for you who have tested both, what are the real differences between the two cameras?

Regards,

There's not going to be many people who have tried both cameras so here's a link to a reliable review site where you can see a review of both cameras and make your own decision.

Personally I would go for the P5000, I've been using one for several months and it's a good camera, could be better but then it's all a compromise in digiscoping.

Regards

John

I have both "Glimmer"

Not a lot of difference in my view, either one would suit digiscoping well.

Pictures I have digiscoped (not as good as John Henry) with both cameras, and the Fuji F30, can be seen here.....
http://lynandmholidays.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/p5000pictures.htm

The link that John missed is probably this one http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Nikon/

Best wishes

Malc

Thank you very much, really appreciated.

Image quality seems to be the same, am I right?

The P5100 is faster then the P5000 or, as I think, is as slow as its predeccesor? (autofocus speed)

Glimmer

Yes image quality is the same, the extra 2mpx of the P5100 would only help with cropping. And the P5100 is slightly faster with autofocus.

Malc

Panning with a moving bird, not a problem, as both cameras can be set on continuous focus.

I was really pleased when I bought the P5000, I am sure you will be also, whichever you choose, plenty of light in Spain as well, so no need to use a higher ISO than 200. Higher than 200 on both cameras produces quite a bit of noise.

Regards Malc

And don't forget to let us know which you buy, and show some pictures please.

Faster enough to be more useful when digiscoping moving birds?

Sorry I missed out the link, Feathered One came to the rescue again :t:.

If you have a look at the 2 reviews you can see there's really very little difference between the two, the autofocus speed is negligible in the field, what I would think about is possibly higher 'noise' with the 5100 due to it's 12Mpix sensor, especially if you have to use -EV compensation on white birds.

Cheers

John

User Neil by privatte message said me:

"Yes , I have both and the P5100 is much faster in AF. It also processes the 12 meg files fast too ( much faster than the Fuji F50fd ). Neil"

So I don't know what to do! I read the reviews and the P5100 has a little more noise and seem to be slightly slower in focus...

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back