• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sand Martin - Pwll (Carms) (1 Viewer)

In the forum list view, I first read this as "Sand Martin - Pwll Cairns" and that really made me wonder.... what are the Sand Martins doing arriving in Queensland???

Cranes and song thrushes

Yesterday I saw a herd of about 30 cranes flying back to their breeding grounds in the North. They were particularly quiet circling above one of the numerous burden dumps in my area.
And I also saw (and heard) the first song thrushes. I love their song because it's so funny and we gave them the name "Kasper Rütentüt" which might be translated as buffoon.

Oh dear, I hope my English doesn't sound too strange to your ears. I have to look up a lot of the words in a dictionary. Any corrections are welcome, as I would really like to improve my English by writing here.

As I love to share my photos I add one of a huge herd of cranes I took last autumn/fall. One Sunday morning hundreds and hundreds of them flew above my house. They never stop here, so I've never seen one at close range. |=(| But I love their calls.

Attachments

• Cranes.JPG
    Cranes.JPG
    150.1 KB · Views: 128
In the forum list view, I first read this as "Sand Martin - Pwll Cairns" and that really made me wonder.... what are the Sand Martins doing arriving in Queensland???
Want a go at pronouncing Pwll Peter?;)

I didn't realise this would start a separate thread. Thought it would all be on the migration thread.

Rich

Yesterday I saw a herd of about 30 cranes flying back to their breeding grounds in the North. They were particularly quiet circling above one of the numerous burden dumps in my area.
And I also saw (and heard) the first song thrushes. I love their song because it's so funny and we gave them the name "Kasper Rütentüt" which might be translated as buffoon.

Oh dear, I hope my English doesn't sound too strange to your ears. I have to look up a lot of the words in a dictionary. Any corrections are welcome, as I would really like to improve my English by writing here.

As I love to share my photos I add one of a huge herd of cranes I took last autumn/fall. One Sunday morning hundreds and hundreds of them flew above my house. They never stop here, so I've never seen one at close range. |=(| But I love their calls.

That's an impressive sight Susanne:t:

Rich

Want a go at pronouncing Pwll Peter?;)

What are you saying, I can't even pronounce "Cairns" right! - at least not according to the Aussies ( I do know there's no 'r' in it, though).

I've been to Wales, a couple of times now, so I already know I can't pronounce anything.

What are you saying, I can't even pronounce "Cairns" right! - at least not according to the Aussies ( I do know there's no 'r' in it, though).

I've been to Wales, a couple of times now, so I already know I can't pronounce anything.
I've lived here all my life and still struggle:-O

Sand Martin reported from Pwll(Carms) today and from Swansea Vale in the week.
Rich
I see there are six sightings for this species already (18 Feb to 7 March) on BirdTrack - plus 7 for Swallow and 8 for House Martin (presumably over-wintering birds?)
Martin

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back