• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Just bought a Fuji F11 (1 Viewer)

john-henry

Just bought a Fuji F11, after much searching and reading of reviews, to complement my A95. The main reason for doing so was for low light photography during the coming winter months where its high ISO/low noise should prove useful.

First impressions; it’s fast, quick focus and shutter lag, some useful shooting modes e.g. top 3 - where you can shoot 3 frames in about 2.2secs.
Final 3 – you can shoot up to 40 frames at about 2.2 fps and it saves only the last 3 taken, good for action or behaviour shots, etc.
40 frames – shoots up to 40 frames continuously by the shutter button down.
Menus are pretty easy to sort out and access, good screen information in shooting mode, external button for ISO value, 4 way navigator gives easy access to flash, macro and shutter or aperture change - depending on if you’re in AP or SP mode.

The screen is difficult, if not impossible, to see in direct sunlight but good enough to focus with if in shadow, a screen shade soon solves this problem though.
There’s no manual focus but the AF seems to work well with centre AF.
It does have spot metering, it would be even better if it had spot focus and spot metering linked together.

All in all it seems an easy little camera to use with a useful range of features, we shall see as we go along.

I’ve included a few first shots below taken on a quick trip to the local Country Park to try it out. All using Auto WB, Centre AF, Spot metering,

Black-headed Gull was at ISO 100 with -0.67EV, about 40ft in good light.
Rook, ISO 200 about 50 yards away in good light.
Moorhens, ISO 400 about 40ft away in shadow.
Great Tit and Blue Tit at ISO 400 with -1EV (the EV was unnecessary but I thought I’d give it a harsh try to see how bad it would be) all in shadow and with shutter speeds of 1/40th and 1/80th respectively.

I’ll post a few more pics under different conditions as I go along.

John

Attachments

• blk-headed-gull-0089.jpg
    blk-headed-gull-0089.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 185
  • moorhens-0264.jpg
    moorhens-0264.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 196
  • rook-0102.jpg
    rook-0102.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 168
  • great-tit-0203.jpg
    great-tit-0203.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 176
  • blue-tit-0224.jpg
    blue-tit-0224.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 174
john-henry said:
Just bought a Fuji F11, after much searching and reading of reviews, to complement my A95. The main reason for doing so was for low light photography during the coming winter months where its high ISO/low noise should prove useful.

First impressions; it’s fast, quick focus and shutter lag, some useful shooting modes e.g. top 3 - where you can shoot 3 frames in about 2.2secs.
Final 3 – you can shoot up to 40 frames at about 2.2 fps and it saves only the last 3 taken, good for action or behaviour shots, etc.
40 frames – shoots up to 40 frames continuously by the shutter button down.
Menus are pretty easy to sort out and access, good screen information in shooting mode, external button for ISO value, 4 way navigator gives easy access to flash, macro and shutter or aperture change - depending on if you’re in AP or SP mode.

The screen is difficult, if not impossible, to see in direct sunlight but good enough to focus with if in shadow, a screen shade soon solves this problem though.
There’s no manual focus but the AF seems to work well with centre AF.
It does have spot metering, it would be even better if it had spot focus and spot metering linked together.

All in all it seems an easy little camera to use with a useful range of features, we shall see as we go along.

I’ve included a few first shots below taken on a quick trip to the local Country Park to try it out. All using Auto WB, Centre AF, Spot metering,

Black-headed Gull was at ISO 100 with -0.67EV, about 40ft in good light.
Rook, ISO 200 about 50 yards away in good light.
Moorhens, ISO 400 about 40ft away in shadow.
Great Tit and Blue Tit at ISO 400 with -1EV (the EV was unnecessary but I thought I’d give it a harsh try to see how bad it would be) all in shadow and with shutter speeds of 1/40th and 1/80th respectively.

I’ll post a few more pics under different conditions as I go along.

John
Nice pics. What's your scope and how did you attach the camera? I have an F30 and Swaro 65 with zoom - still trying to find the optimum attachment. Some success with Baeder Microstage but too heavy...
Sean

Sean, I use a Zeiss 85 and a homemade swing-out adapter.
You've probably seen the thread by Robert L Jarvis about the SRB adapter, seems to be pretty good and a reasonable price.

regards

John

john-henry said:
Sean, I use a Zeiss 85 and a homemade swing-out adapter.
You've probably seen the thread by Robert L Jarvis about the SRB adapter, seems to be pretty good and a reasonable price.

regards

John

John-Henry,

Can you comment about vignetting? And are you using the 20-60X Zoom eyepiece on the Zeiss?

Thanks,

Jerry

jourdaj said:
John-Henry,

Can you comment about vignetting? And are you using the 20-60X Zoom eyepiece on the Zeiss?

Thanks,

Jerry

Hi Jerry,
I use the 20-60x zoom all the time, no great problem with vignetting, the first couple of steps with the camera zoom clears it and it's clear through the scope's range after that.

regards

John

Have you discovered the most annoying thing about this camera yet? It is without a shadow of a doubt the first three - last three setting; it doesn't stay set!!! If at time you go into preview to look at what you've taken, you have to reset it grrrrrrrrrrr!!! The forty continuous isn't fast enough as a get round.
Timedrifter

Timedrifter said:
Have you discovered the most annoying thing about this camera yet? It is without a shadow of a doubt the first three - last three setting; it doesn't stay set!!! If at time you go into preview to look at what you've taken, you have to reset it grrrrrrrrrrr!!! The forty continuous isn't fast enough as a get round.
Timedrifter

Yes, a right pain in the ****. I wasn't particularly impressed with the quality when shooting at 200 and 400 ISO, which was what I bought it for, so sent it back and had a refund. I don't know if it was faulty or just a "monday morning" one but it never lived up to expectations.

Regards

John

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back