• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sony W70 (1 Viewer)

Tanager

Sony W70

I recently had the opportunity to replace my ancient Coolpix 990. We also needed a compact camera for day-to-day use on holiday etc.. So I thought that I would try and Kill two birds with one stone as the saying goes.

Why the W70?

One of my main reasons for purchasing this camera is that you can buy an adapter (screws into the tripod socket) that provides a 30mm filter thread. Its originally designed to take Sony's wide angle and telconverter lenses. I already had an LCE adapter for my Swarovski ATS 20-60x eyepiece, so it was just a case of buying a step down-ring from srbfilm.co.uk.Below is a photo of the camera and adapter all connected together along with a couple of pics.

Total cost of the bits: Sony VAD-WB adapter from Amazon £8.99 and 30mm>28mm step down-ring from srbfilm £4.90, plus the camera of course ;)

Cheers,

Mark

Attachments

• Sony W70.JPG
    Sony W70.JPG
    103.2 KB · Views: 448
  • Redpoll1a.JPG
    Redpoll1a.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 265
  • American Robin1a.JPG
    American Robin1a.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 245
Sounds great

I had been getting confused about the W70 and w7

just to confirm this camera is about £160 on Amazon?

Also how did you manage to get the adaptor that cheap - I cant find it for under £25

Any chance of a pic with it on your scope to see the full set up?

Cheers

Martin

Tanager said:
Sony W70

I recently had the opportunity to replace my ancient Coolpix 990. We also needed a compact camera for day-to-day use on holiday etc.. So I thought that I would try and Kill two birds with one stone as the saying goes.

Why the W70?

One of my main reasons for purchasing this camera is that you can buy an adapter (screws into the tripod socket) that provides a 30mm filter thread. Its originally designed to take Sony's wide angle and telconverter lenses. I already had an LCE adapter for my Swarovski ATS 20-60x eyepiece, so it was just a case of buying a step down-ring from srbfilm.co.uk.Below is a photo of the camera and adapter all connected together along with a couple of pics.

Total cost of the bits: Sony VAD-WB adapter from Amazon £8.99 and 30mm>28mm step down-ring from srbfilm £4.90, plus the camera of course ;)

Cheers,

Mark

I just bought a Sony W55 to go with my Diascope 85 with zoom eyepiece and Zhumell Universal Digiscoping Adapter. I believe this camera to be very similar to your W70, Tanager. Can you please tell me what modes/settings, etc you use to take such nice photos?

Around here, it's still pretty cold, but in about two weeks I'll be able to get out and start digiscoping waterfowl, so I want to be prepared!

Thanks!

Hi swamp rattler,

I haven't played around with all of the settings. I shoot in 'P' with the macro on, flash off, spot metering mode, auto white balance, centre AF, and then adjust the ISO and exposure as need be.

Hope this is of help.

Cheers,

Mark

Tanager said:
Hi swamp rattler,

I haven't played around with all of the settings. I shoot in 'P' with the macro on, flash off, spot metering mode, auto white balance, centre AF, and then adjust the ISO and exposure as need be.

Hope this is of help.

Cheers,

Mark

Hi Mark,

I use the same camera as you and the same Swaro zoom, but I bought Swarovski's own camera adapter. However, I then discovered you have to remove the eye relief piece from the zoom in order to fit the adapter, which is a right pain if you quickly need to go back into using the scope as a scope. Does this apply to your LCE adapter? Or do you know any way around this problem?

Cheers,

Malcolm

Malcolm,

When you say the eye relief piece do you mean the screw up bit on the eyepiece? If so, then no, with the LCE adapter this can stay in place. this does mean that the camera lens is a little further away from the eyepiece, but vingetting disappears with one or two zoom steps.

Hope this is of help,

Cheers,

Mark

Tanager said:
Malcolm,

When you say the eye relief piece do you mean the screw up bit on the eyepiece? If so, then no, with the LCE adapter this can stay in place. this does mean that the camera lens is a little further away from the eyepiece, but vingetting disappears with one or two zoom steps.

Hope this is of help,

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks for that Mark. I think I might make inquiries about an LCE adaptor.

Malcolm

Hey Mark,

I see you use the Sony VAD-WB adapter ... Do you have any idea if this
would fit the Sony N1 or N2 Cybershot?, They seem very similar camera's,
Thank's for your Time,
Take care,
John,

John,

It says on the box that this adapter fits the W30, W40, W50 and W70 cyber-shots. No mention of the N1 or N2 so I guess not.

All the best,

Mark

Modular said:
Hey Mark,

I see you use the Sony VAD-WB adapter ... Do you have any idea if this
would fit the Sony N1 or N2 Cybershot?, They seem very similar camera's,
Thank's for your Time,
Take care,
John,

John

The Sony N1 & N2 do not have a thread around the base of the telescopic lens so you cannot use the Sony VAD-WB adapter, the SRB or Universal adapter would be the way to go, see previous threads on these adapters

Rgds

Paul

Hey Mark,
Thank You for getting back to me Sir, Appreciate it, ;) ,
Take care,
John,

Paul Hackett said:
John

The Sony N1 & N2 do not have a thread around the base of the telescopic lens so you cannot use the Sony VAD-WB adapter, the SRB or Universal adapter would be the way to go, see previous threads on these adapters

Rgds

Paul
Hey Paul,
Guess i'm a little confused then lol ... I did'nt think the W70 had One either,
I thought that was the point of the adapter ... You fit it on so it has a
Thread to add lense's etc, The W70's and like that i've seen have no
thread's on the base of the lense ... maybe i missed it lol,
This adapter look's like it's held on by the tripod thread,
I have the adapter you mentioned but they are a little bulky to add lense's
and stuff ... Think i'd rather put the scope on the end than a Lense,
Thank's for the reply,
Take care,
John,

Last edited:
I am looking at the Sony W70 and, following this thread, will look forward to Paul Hacketts reply to John's last message. If the adapter VAD-WB uses the tripod thread can you still connect a cable release?
What about an LCD shade/magnifier? Is one a necessity with this camera?
Regards David
Modular said:
Hey Mark,
Thank You for getting back to me Sir, Appreciate it, ;) ,
Take care,
John,

Hey Paul,
Guess i'm a little confused then lol ... I did'nt think the W70 had One either,
I thought that was the point of the adapter ... You fit it on so it has a
Thread to add lense's etc, The W70's and like that i've seen have no
thread's on the base of the lense ... maybe i missed it lol,
This adapter look's like it's held on by the tripod thread,
I have the adapter you mentioned but they are a little bulky to add lense's
and stuff ... Think i'd rather put the scope on the end than a Lense,
Thank's for the reply,
Take care,
John,

John,

Yes, the VAD-WB adapter uses the tripod thread.

Attached a couple of photos of the adapter on its own and with the LCE adapter. Forgot to mention VAD-WB adapter has a 30mm filter thread so I used a 30mm to 28mm step down ring (from SRB film) to join the sony adapter to the LCE one together.

Hope this makes things a bit clearer,

Mark

Attachments

• VAD-WB lens adapter.JPG
    VAD-WB lens adapter.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 154
  • VAD-WB adapter with LCE Adapter.JPG
    VAD-WB adapter with LCE Adapter.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 160
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back