• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2016 - World Yearlist Record Attempt (1 Viewer)

OK 3.575 and 3.650 are higher then I expected. 2.943 + 494 'yet to see' is 3.450 which leaves about 150 unique to find OK? If Malawi and Cameroen are about equal, where should he find them?

and now 2999

Unique species

Least Honeyguide
Lagden's Bushshrike
Athi Short-toed Lark
Short-tailed Lark
Grey-olive Greenbul
Ruwenzori Hill Babbler

What are the rarest birds on this planet actually?
Only birds with exact known numbers.

I guess Stresemann's Bristlefront is a worthy contender with 15 known individuals? (but there must be others)

Madagascar Pochard has to be up there....

A

I thought that one had around 30 wild birds, and with the captive breeding programme, their numbers are being increased. I reckon Orange-bellied Parrot has around the same number of birds and the same kind of reintroduction method used to keep numbers up.

+ Arjan won't go there as it takes too much travel time to get there...

Any others contenders for species with reliable counts?

I thought that one had around 30 wild birds, and with the captive breeding programme, their numbers are being increased. I reckon Orange-bellied Parrot has around the same number of birds and the same kind of reintroduction method used to keep numbers up.

+ Arjan won't go there as it takes too much travel time to get there...

Any others contenders for species with reliable counts?

Pochards will be extinct in the wild very soon, that one lake where they are now found cannot sustain them. It is one to see NOW

Andy

He did it! Since the last update he's seen more birds in 4,5 months than I did in my life. Maybe I should consider a trip or two to Africa as well ;-)

Oh you should not compare like that, it is too frustrating. Arjan saw more species in the first few weeks than I in my life...

And today he saw more than half of the record of Noah in just the same 4,5 month. He is definitely on the way to a new world record!

As expected, Tanzania (after Kenya) is going a lot slower so Arjan needs to work hard for new birds.
Next 'big' days with many new species should be first days in S-Africa, Madagascar and Ghana.

As expected, Tanzania (after Kenya) is going a lot slower so Arjan needs to work hard for new birds.
Next 'big' days with many new species should be first days in S-Africa, Madagascar and Ghana.

Seems like Arjan isn't visiting anything in West Africa around the Equator (Congo(s), Gabon, Guinea) Is this due to political situation or since there is little to gain compare to needed time investment given the other countries visities in Africa ?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back