• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Springwatch 2017 (2 Viewers)

I'm not clear from your post who you hold a brief for, but from what I've read over the last thirty years, Red Squirrels before Grey Squirrels brought their transatlantic pox to annihilate them had a significant and similar effect on forestry and its inhabitants, to the point that they held the "vermin" status you now attribute to Grey Squirrels. The significant difference between the two as you correctly suggest is that Grey Squirrels are an invasive alien deserving of removal by the shortest means, leaving the niche completely vacant for the restoration of the original "vermin": the underlying truth however is that in an ecosystem not being constantly robbed of its essential predators there are no vermin, just a set of organisms interacting in overall long-term balance.

Hence, of course, my comment on the game "management" interests. Fish being taken - shoot herons and cormorants. Pheasants (invasive aliens that are now known to be responsible for declines in native reptiles) being taken: shoot Buzzards and anything with fangs and four feet. Grouse being taken: shoot all raptors and of course all mammalian predators. Lord knows its not so long since this extended to man-traps for poachers, which says it all about the kind of people who hunt shoot and fish.

It has been demonstrated that a good part of the answer to Grey Squirrels ought to be Pine Martens at their proper range and density. It is known that a good part of the answer to corvids is a natural range and density of Goshawks. It is a no-brainer that the answer to the over-population of deer is lynx and wolf taking a proper toll and also exerting the effect of keeping deer moving so that e.g. riparian woodland can regenerate instead of being constantly hammered by deer invulnerable to predation (and causing downstream flooding and injury to people who do not enjoy the beneficial end of the feudal landlord system still extant). All of these things are opposed by game management interests many of whom flout the law in order to promote their own ignorant self-interests and by the law of unintended consequences distort the ecosystem further.

Conservation - not game management - is not always about being nice to animals or even excluding killing, and I along with many others recognise that fully. But the interests that lay waste to elements of our ecosystem selectively for their own, distorted view of the countryside are the ones that most urgently need controlling and I now have a neutral view on whether that should be by effective legislation and enforcement or the sort of management that they themselves prefer to mete out.

John

Agree completely

Yes. The BBC is becoming increasingly paranoid about upsetting the government to the extent that it's beginning to look like politicisation.

Seems not, they reported on raptor persecution the other night, seemed quite upset at the deaths of Golden Eagle and i'm wondering if the number of raptor nests being shown is subtle 2 fingers up to the shooting brigade!! Showing the public how raptors fit into the ecosystem is definitely a good way of undemonising them, interesting highlighting the peregrine taking the GSW after showing the GSW sniffing around the blue tits box!! Good Stuff

Seems not, they reported on raptor persecution the other night, seemed quite upset at the deaths of Golden Eagle and i'm wondering if the number of raptor nests being shown is subtle 2 fingers up to the shooting brigade!! Showing the public how raptors fit into the ecosystem is definitely a good way of undemonising them, interesting highlighting the peregrine taking the GSW after showing the GSW sniffing around the blue tits box!! Good Stuff

Great to see that all the Blue Tit chicks fledged. Due to the GSW's 3pm visits to the box all of the chicks (but one) survived the fledging to move on to adult hood,
The 'canny' Blue Tits decided that early morning was the best time to make a safe journey from the bird box, and they did - all of the cuties together o:)o:)o:)o:)o:)o:)o:)o:)

8 out of 9 Blue Tit chicks survived, and the runt of the litter did not survive the battle to keep alive - sad times :-C

I enjoyed the return of Unsprung last night though, wish it was on after the main show was good to see Kate Humble back as a guest. I enjoyed the Beavers section in the show.

I enjoyed the Beavers section in the show.
I think the chance of seeing live Beavers would have been higher if Martin hadn't been standing on the bank opposite, talking loudly and waving his arms about. Although, even if they had it wouldn't have been that exciting - the effect on the habitat and other species is more interesting than a few seconds seeing the top of a Beaver's head swimming away.

Good though that they raised the issue of landowners shooting them in advance of legal protection - I don't know how much effect this is having on the size of the population in the Tay catchment.

I think the chance of seeing live Beavers would have been higher if Martin hadn't been standing on the bank opposite, talking loudly and waving his arms about.

Martin is a serial offender in that respect, I particularly call to mind his idiotic performance when the sound engineer was doing his level best to enable us to listen to a Nightingale singing last year. He really should be put out to grass asap.

As I am familiar with the location where they were filming yesterday I can be quite categorical that with even a modicum of fieldcraft prolonged views of Beavers going about their normal business unworried by Man is perfectly possible. I bet Bob Smith was frustrated, but I also bet he didn't show it because he is a great chap and would have been 100% focused on getting positive publicity for the Beavers.

John

The shows have been really good! I my favourite part tonight was the kingfishers, his art was so beautiful and I have never seen kingfishers in the nest. The part about the whales was really interesting too, I didn't realise how big of an issue entanglement was :(

Gillian Burke seems pleasant enough and obviously knows her stuff but I find her presenting style in the live sections very difficult to watch. I think she is extremely nervous and she divides her sentences up into short sections of a few words, waving her arms about to match the sections. It is very difficult to follow what she is saying. The difference between her technique and the calm, measured delivery of Michaela is striking.

On a more positive note, I thought the giant photographs of insects on Unsprung were astonishing.

Ron

Gillian Burke seems pleasant enough and obviously knows her stuff but I find her presenting style in the live sections very difficult to watch. I think she is extremely nervous and she divides her sentences up into short sections of a few words, waving her arms about to match the sections. It is very difficult to follow what she is saying. The difference between her technique and the calm, measured delivery of Michaela is striking.

On a more positive note, I thought the giant photographs of insects on Unsprung were astonishing.

Ron

Agreed. It's almost as if she's trying too hard. Needs to relax and I'm sure it will come. She has a wonderfully captivating smile though.

Alan

I am trying to catch up with BBC Iplayer and got to episode 3. No stand out moments just yet. I'm glad I learnt more about this Yellow Necked Mouse - one I don't think I have ever heard of before. More Badgers and Otters say no more! Good to see that Kite nest and shame the ChiffChaffs left. I cannot see them staying here 3 years. Maybe best bet is to stay an area for one year or maximum of two!

I am trying to catch up with BBC Iplayer and got to episode 3. No stand out moments just yet. I'm glad I learnt more about this Yellow Necked Mouse - one I don't think I have ever heard of before. More Badgers and Otters say no more! Good to see that Kite nest and shame the ChiffChaffs left. I cannot see them staying here 3 years. Maybe best bet is to stay an area for one year or maximum of two!

For the first time ever, I've been totally bored by a Springwatch, Autumnwatch or a Winterwatch series. And the sad thing is the next Autumnwatch and Winterwatch series is from the same venue as this Springwatch series.
Ian.

For the first time ever, I've been totally bored by a Springwatch, Autumnwatch or a Winterwatch series. And the sad thing is the next Autumnwatch and Winterwatch series is from the same venue as this Springwatch series.
Ian.

Really, totally bored? Has it been that different to the last few years? I'm not a fully fledged birder so maybe that's why the location hasn't bothered me.

It does lack the pace of previous years but at least it provides CP with a convenient platform to pursue his agenda. I just wish he would tell the whole story, as on the one hand modern farming is blamed for an eye watering reduction in Corn Bunting numbers by some 90% since the 1970's but with no appreciation of what that figure might be had there been no arable farming in the first place.

As ever the devil is in the detail which is somewhat inconvenient for BBC Producers.

Then there was CP's speculation in why fox numbers have declined by circa 40%, yet not a word of the role our roads and motorways play!

LGM

Ron

I totally agree with these comments

I've enjoyed it as much as any previous series. The nature of the place (pun intended) does mean the show feels a bit more divorced from the location; mostly because it's been a lot more nest cams and less location cams with surprise appearances or segments with them out and about. However IMHO the standard of nest cams have been as good as ever (but then I'd always opt for BoPs and Corvids over Passerines)

I haven't 'felt it' with Unsprung and I've skipped most of the interviews. Whereas the three daily shows Brett does on the red button have really helped glue everything together and give the feel of the 'Springwatch event'.

So new presenters should be as clever and calm as you? If you can do any better then I suggest you contact the programme makers. We will then see how good you are!
No, I am not clever or calm at all. Just the opposite in fact but I wouldn't dream of attempting to present a flagship programme on prime time television. My problem with Gillian is that her nervous presenting style means that I find it difficult to follow the interesting information that she is trying to deliver. I actually feel anxious for her and I certainly couldn't do any better. I don't know why you believe that I think I could.

Ron

Then you should give her a chance instead of criticising her. I enjoy her style and hopefully they will give her another series.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back