• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How many bird sayings do you know. (1 Viewer)

Thank you fugl, I will try to fit them in. You may like my other post in this section, A Day in the Life of Birds. Have a browse.

Here’s a few more (sorry if you already put them in and I missed them):
“Happy as a lark”
“Don’t go (or quit) cold turkey”
“Pecking order”
“Hen night”
“No spring chicken”

Flaming galahs!
LOL ! :-O another Alf Stewart favourite :t:

Often these folk are found in Parliament, and want to be:
"Carrying on like a Spangled Drongo"

Perhaps that's because they are:
"High as a Kite"

Or:
"Loose as a Goose"

And should be very careful not to:
"Kill the Goose that laid the Golden Egg"

Chosun :gh:

"In two shakes of a duck's tail", also can just be "in two shakes" and of "A lamb's tail" - to get something done quickly.
Swanning about/around - to move in an aimless fashion
(Silly) old coot - an elderly and cantankerous person

Last edited:
Thank you for these latest sayings. Although the story is getting a little long now, people might be bored before they get to the end. Have you looked at the post below this one, A Day in the Life of Birds?

With so many new sayings I'm going to try to make up another story with my pictures just using the sayings that have been posted here. I will add the name of the one that sent the saying in on the page. I will post it somewhere when done. Keep the sayings coming in. While you wait, have a look at one of my stories: A Day in the life of Birds, just another fun thing

A few more:

Hen pecked
Pigeon toed
Gannet (person with a big appetite)
Eagle eyed
Vulture (person who exploits others)
Dead as a Dodo
Light as a feather
Jailbird

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back