• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Camouflage (1 Viewer)

I use my 4 wheeler as a hide for 90% of my shots. When I find a "birdy" location, i spend some time and watch the activity to see where birds are using a favorite perch, feeding location, etc.
I try to park giving myself a clear field for pics as best I can.
I use inexpensive large green bath towles clipped to the "hand hold" over my driver's door, clips on the "2 "sun screens", one over the window behind the drivers seat. I have cut the towel so my scope extends to the outside and "clip" it close to scope body to hide body movements. The slits allow viewing from inside.
It usually only takes a matter of minutes before the birds resume their previous activity and allow one the chance for a shot.
After this weekend of being interuppted twice by passersby and being asked if I need help, I'm making two 81/2 x 11 signs that state in big black letters NATURE PHOTOGRAPHER . Well meaning people, but enough to put off your subject and leave you at square one!

Paclett

Excellent idea - I presume its for fair weather use only though. You've tempted me to have a go was it bought from Toys R Us or through a Toymaster franchise

Andrew

Camouflage ??????

Hmmm what make you people think, that animals see your type of camouflage ???
I just go as is, what ever I wear and just behave calm.
my feelings are, "IF I HAVE TO PUT UP AND SEE WHAT THE BIRDS LOOK LIKE, THAN THEY CAN DO THE SAME" 8-P
I use this setup to do all my birding needs and it works very well for me.
A 3 wheel golf cart made by BAG BOY model 360, it works great and just added some brackets to hold all my gear with bungee cords.
attached is a picture of it setup
cheers
Walther

in Canada eH :t:

Attachments

• dscn2177-web.jpg
    dscn2177-web.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 146
Camouflage continue

Here is a picture of how it all goes along on the trails I travel, the looks I get when going in public parks and no golf courses "where the heck does he think he is going to swing that ball"
Then as they walk by later on, I see smiles and nod's of approval :)
cheers
Walther
www.walther-loff.com
visit the site and see and copy any thing you like to build your self
:king:

p.s.
The golf cart is made in the USA by BAG BOY, model PC360, it is a 3 wheel unit and when all is installed, I pull off the front wheel, fold the rest in half and place in the truck of the Buick (boot), just unfold, replace the front wheel and ready to push or pull, it has a good wheel brake that secures it in place on any hill.
The cart hand handle is also the support for the umbrella stem and a 10X10 inch plate with 4 spikes welded onto it that secures it firmly in the ground...
All made in my garage at home ( A retired Machinist/Millwright modifies junk into usable parts) :t:

Attachments

• dscn2173-web.jpg
    dscn2173-web.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
travel light................. see more bird while having more fun.
if we were made to carry all that gear we would be donkeys.
Only joking guy's
nice to see so many inventive ideas about.

the main thing i have found is that birds react to your face looking straight at them, if a hat covers most of your face they dont seen to worry.
i am i just the ugly one ?????????????????????

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back